Dementeleus

What a WONDERful Weekend | WW down only 16% on Sunday. 103M weekend. pg 226

Just now, Iron Raf said:

IW will be marketed like a once in a lifetime event. Guardians meeting the Avengers for the first time. If the movie is to go beyond 1.5B they will have to do something crazy like killing Captain America which I think they will. Cap dying will make headlines everywhere. Might seem like a stupid comparison but I can see it being as emotional as Jack dying in Titanic. 

Civil War was marketed as Spider-Man joining the MCU in a battle between Iron Man & Captain America ... with an appearance by Black Panther.

and it still did less than Iron Man 3 WW (if I remember correct)

Marvel hasn't shown they can reach that # since 2012, so I can't say anything is a lock.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

I agree.

No such thing as comic book movie fatigue, but the bloom's off the rose.

When we have 4 or 5 comic book films a year, and every single one of them adheres to the same tropes and story beats, of course none of them is going to make 600 million. 

I mean, I guess the only big enough "event" at this point would be a DC/Marvel crossover...

YAAAS!!! This so much this!!! But with a better storyline than the nonsense of the DC vs. Marvel 1996 comic.

Flash breaks the dimensional barrier due to machinations of dormammu and the DC and marvel heroes must come together to fight the combined might of Thanos and Darkseid. 

:D one can dream.

2 minutes ago, Brainiac5 said:

AOU was a lock for 2bil but ended 200mil ww lower than TA.

People really need to start getting these expectations in check as I:W could barely beat out Civil War at the WW Boxoffice.

A Collage of characters doesn't guaranteed boxoffice returns,The movie has to also be good as well.

200M less ? Exaggeration much ? It was only 100M less and the movie wasn't anywhere near as good with nothing much to offer outside of them just being together again to fight a bad guy. IW is a culmination of 10 years in the making. They didn't set a 500M budget for no reason.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

I agree.

No such thing as comic book movie fatigue, but the bloom's off the rose.

When we have 4 or 5 comic book films a year, and every single one of them adheres to the same tropes and story beats, of course none of them is going to make 600 million. 

I mean, I guess the only big enough "event" at this point would be a DC/Marvel crossover...

"Crossover"?? I don't need to see any reviews or Trailers,:popcorn: nor an image and I'll will buy 20tickets 

1 minute ago, Iron Raf said:

200M less ? Exaggeration much ? It was only 100M less and the movie wasn't anywhere near as good with nothing much to offer outside of them just being together again to fight a bad guy. IW is a culmination of 10 years in the making. They didn't set a 500M budget for no reason.

That's for both IW and Avengers 4...

So much anguish in one thread.... 

So let's see... I had forgotten I put 130m for the OW in the summer game oops. 

Discussion about Superhero Fatigue was going on back in the Dark KNIGHT days on Mojo.... if only we could have seen what was coming... 

Over predictions based on nothing but feels while ignoring all the logical data during week of release. Check 

Meltdowns when said unrealistic expectations are not being met in the early numbers: check 

I told you so crowd trying to crow louder than the Uber fan boys and newbs here for this movie only: check 

Excel going crazy with predictions for a DC film and being in denial about being wrong: check

Did I miss anything seems like 50+ wasted pages to me..... 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Not even considering the ER. The only way for IW to make $1.5B+ is if it does $525M domestic and $975M foreign I can see the latter happening but not the former.

Even $975 million OS is no easy task. F8 barely crossed $1 billion OS this year but with almost $400 million from China alone. CBMs have kind of stagnated in China, so IW needs to overperform in other markets relative to AoU to make the same OS total ($946 million) because of the worse ER. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Iron Raf said:

Sorry I don't know why I keep thinking T:A made 1.6bil(1.5) but my point was the talks of AOU making 2bil is what lead to the 191o.w being seen as a disappointment by some.

1 minute ago, TommyA10 said:

That's for both IW and Avengers 4...

That would make them significantly cheaper than Amazing spider-man 1-2 combined (over 600 million budget for those 2 combined, over 520million net)

With that cast list + those producer (Imagine how much Feige must make by movie by now) I doubt it will be that cheap.

7 minutes ago, DAR said:

When CBM are making less than 150m domestic and 500 WW we can talk about fatigue.  Right now that ain't happening

Hold on a second man, the discussion was about whether the DCEU can reach TA type levels on one of their films. If you deny that is going to be a theme as we are already seeing worse legs with each passing wave, then you really do your BO analysis a disservice. 

Edited by GiantCALBears