Dementeleus

What a WONDERful Weekend | WW down only 16% on Sunday. 103M weekend. pg 226

50 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

So, for those who think WW reaching 3.0x is impossible b/c reasons (pretty much, it's a CBM, they don't do that)...here's why I think it has a good possibility...

1. The market this year has been uber-light for movies to take your 6+ year old girls.  Why did I think B&TB would hit $400M+ even before it opened?  One, it was a wildly beloved movie that everyone was begging for...but more important 2. what the heck were families gonna take their girls to?  The only competitive movie that girls would like after B&TB opened was Boss Baby and that DID indent B&TB - it was like the only movie that did.  It's like how everyone was surprised that Everyone, Everyone has been a mild hit - again, B&TB was practically gone from theaters - what else are they gonna see?

1a. Now look at the next 2 months...Cars 3 is a boy-based movie property, Captain Underpants is a boys-appealing movie property, Spiderman will be a more male appealing property, Transformers - boys, Mummy - boys.  Rough Night, Girls trip - yeah, not for the under 18.  Baby Driver, Dunkirk, Valerian - boys.  There is literally no other movie coming for this set except DM3.  If you wonder why I've been high on both movies all summer, this is the biggest reason.  I can take my boys and girls to both movies and they'll love them.  Same for finally Emoji movie, which if good enough will probably surprise.  I mean, it's the summer.  When it rains or they are on vacation, families go to movies.  The only movie that will dent WW to a big degree is gonna be DM3...Spiderman will not dent it as much as supers normally dent supers...

2. The movie is a 4 quadrant hit that has been deemed family friendly (not all supers are).  Families are telling families it's okay to go.  I told a bunch of families yesterday after my comic book store manager had taken his 10 year old boy who loved it as much as he did...when it's PG-13, a lot of families need to "check 1st" before taking the plunge...they now know it's okay.

3. Its movie time length - it caused less overall showings per screen this weekend, leading to almost all sell outs here and the need to keep adding shows...so demand can't be met b/c the screens just aren't there.  Played eventually in 2d 3-4 weeks from now, this will just keep playing and playing...

4. The X factor of new audience - my sis told me yesterday she's gonna buy tickets soon.  As an art house goer, she hasn't gone to a single supers movie all year or probably in the last 5 years...but she supports female directors and stars...so she wants to put her money in the till to encourage it...this film, b/c of its quality and deft advertising hand, may be able to avoid the traps Ghostbusters hit last year while getting all the fans Ghostbusters wanted...it's a movie for "all", not for "some" and has avoided politics of any side to an almost complete degree, and that's crucial for long legs...

But, I could be totally wrong...I just don't see "well, this is a CBM, it can't do that, you're nuts" as an argument when this is a CBM not done before...just like Deadpool was a CBM not done before last year in a different way... 

Very well said, those are some great points that only a mom could have made and let's hope you are spot on!

Edited by Arlborn
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, mredman said:

this is complete nonsense. MoS had same legs as CW. What is CW excuse huh ? MoS got clipped by MU and WWZ also

One having to know 6-8 films ahead of time.

• Like 1

Just now, GiantCALBears said:

This is a DCEU opening is it not? Why wouldn't it come up? 

I'm not saying it wouldn't, I don't know why it's the focal point of discussion, as if this discussion has never occurred before.

Wonder Woman probably isn't going to have legs like Man of Steel, BvS, or Suicide Squad so focusing on whether those respective films had good legs or not is gonna be moot in the end in regards to Wonder Woman

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, mredman said:

why i wonder is it because it does not fit your nonsentical argument lol

How does comparing Man of Steel to Civil War make any sense based on where the films are in their respective universes? You are the one who makes zero sense outside of them both being CBMs.

Wonder Woman should hold up fine next weekend.

The Mummy I think should do $33-$35 million, its opening weekend and make most of its profit overseas than in the states.

It Comes At Night looks like the box office level of The Witch again. But if it breaks out that would be great! 

Overall June 2017  looks to be hopeful, with 3 films(DM3 for a day) are going to make over $150 million. And there are some films that could potentially breakout this month! 

Just now, Nova said:

Even The Green Lantern managed to pull a 2.19x in the middle of summer with a bunch of competition 

That should put BvS and SS atrocious legs into perspective. 

BvS had atrocious legs but SS actually had decent legs after its second drop

• Like 1

1 minute ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

Happens with masterpieces. Mos and bvs will be talked till end of time.

:ph34r:

MOS, BVS and thread/forum bans will be the 3 hot topics within a month of JL's release.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

This is a DCEU opening is it not? Why wouldn't it come up? 

I would think the bigger talk is a WW opening to over $100M. Can't we soak that up before delving back to MOS of 4 years ago?

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

Did people not go to the movie? What's dumb is pretending like it didn't happen like what CJohn Tele and whoever else wants to make that argument. 

I would estimate maybe 25% of the Wal-Mart tickets actually had bodies in the seats.  Many theaters were upset that they had prime spots taken up for the promotion and 1/4 full theaters killing their ancillary sales.  

• Like 13

2 minutes ago, MrPink said:

I'm not saying it wouldn't, I don't know why it's the focal point of discussion, as if this discussion has never occurred before.

Wonder Woman probably isn't going to have legs like Man of Steel, BvS, or Suicide Squad so focusing on whether those respective films had good legs or not is gonna be moot in the end in regards to Wonder Woman

I agree but this discussion was also on what happens with JL now and those films do impact it obviously 

2 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I would estimate maybe 25% of the Wal-Mart tickets actually had bodies in the seats.  Many theaters were upset that they had prime spots taken up for the promotion and 1/4 full theaters killing their ancillary sales.  

Yeah I remember this. Redditers were calling walmart dumb and made some dope memes.

5 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

Did people not go to the movie? What's dumb is pretending like it didn't happen like what CJohn Tele and whoever else wants to make that argument. 

There's no perfect way to calculate it except to acknowledge it was an unusual situation that doesn't match well with other comparisons. The closest way that makes sense to me (in terms of calculating legs) is to pull the Walmart total from the OW and domestic total and go from there but obviously it's not a perfect solution. It makes more sense to me than just using 128/292, but YMMV. Either way, MOS's legs weren't particularly good for the time. They weren't awful but weren't great either. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, TheMovieman said:

I would think the bigger talk is a WW opening to over $100M. Can't we soak that up before delving back to MOS of 4 years ago?

Lol since when is talking about other movies in specific franchise not relevant? Especially when discussing legs and future projects.

Just now, damnitgeorge08 said:

Yeah I remember this. Redditers were calling walmart dumb and made some dope memes.

Warner Bros. was floating doing the same thing for another movie after and one of the major theater chains told them either the shows needed to be non-prime showtimes or they could go pound sand.  

• Like 3

I have no idea what these Walmart tickets were or whatever but I was always under the impression that MoS opened to $116M and that's the number I see on the majority of box office websites. 

But I guess if we are trying to twist things to fit our narrative we could go with another number. That is usually how it goes around here. 

• Like 1

BVS had bad legs, for an ensemble CBM:

Ensembles (Avengers series, CW, BVS, SS, Guardians V2)- Most ensemble films contain huge groups of characters, that tend to have OW over $130M.

(3.0x+): Fantastic legs

(2.5x+): Good legs

(2.3x-2.49x): Expected legs

(2x-2.29x): Mediocre 

Anything under a 2.0 is bad

Just now, God Emperor Tele said:

There's no perfect way to calculate it except to acknowledge it was an unusual situation that doesn't match well with other comparisons. The closest way that makes sense to me (in terms of calculating legs) is to pull the Walmart total from the OW and domestic total and go from there but obviously it's not a perfect solution. It makes more sense to me than just using 128/292, but YMMV. Either way, MOS's legs weren't particularly good for the time. They weren't awful but weren't great either. 

Either way SR made more after OW adjusted despite grossing significantly less in its OW. That's not good for what WB was trying to accomplish and some of that mattered in trying to forecast and then what would be the actual for BvS.