YM!

WEEKEND THREAD | Actual: Wonder Woman 58.63M, Estimates: Mummy 32.2M, Underpants 12.3M, Pirates 10.2M, ICAN 6M

Gonna rewatch Temple of Doom tomorrow for the first time since... 2010 I think? Prepared to cringe way more than I did as a kid but that action gotta hold up at least. The opening set-piece alone is kinda mind-boggling in how exhausting it must have been to stage and then edit. 

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 2

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

TRAILERS:

It happened @That One Guy. I GOT FUCKING TRANSFORMERS AT BOTH FUCKING MOVIES :ohmyzod: However, I also got Atomic Blonde and MOTOE at both, so that was a win :cloud9:

Mummy:

Transformers

Baby Driver

Murder on the Orient Express

It

Atomic Blonde

American Made

Thor 3D

Valerian 3D

ICAN:

All Eyez on Me (teaser)

Transformers

Atomic Blonde (for some reason it had the stairwell fight but not McAvoy's f-bomb)

The Dark Tower

Murder on the Orient Express

Annabelle: Creation

Good Time

A Ghost Story

When the American Made trailer started, a fight broke out behind me because of the reserved seating issues :jeb!: When I got my ticket taken for ICAN, the employee told me there have been fights all day long :jeb!: 

Spoiler

Some of the uglier themes of ICAN came to life in your screening before the movie even began.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, James said:

Talking about Indiana Jones, why hasn't Paramount made another one after KotCS? That movie made an enormous amount of money.

Paramount doesn't even own the rights to Indy anymore, Disney does after the buying of Lucasfilm. Indy 5 is coming out in 2020.

• Like 1

The Hollywood Reporter has an article about Tom Cruise which I do agree with:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/mummy-tom-cruise-needs-get-back-acting-1011529

I think it might be time for him to reduce the number of action roles and maybe do more dramatic or comedic role. American Made looks promising and more roles like that would be good for him in the long run.

3 minutes ago, God Emperor Tele said:

TOD is pretty dark for sure. That being said, its action scenes are incredibly fun and incredibly clever; any single one of them probably trumps the action of MUMMY or any of its sequels, and TOD has several (depending on when you figure one sequence starts and another begins). 

MUMMY is genial, fun, and coasts by on the appeal of its leads and most of the iconography, setting, and setup that was established by others in the genre (including all three prior Indy movies).

It's not that TOD is dark - though I could without the ripping out of the heart.  It's that the lead characters are so unlikable while they're presented as supposedly charming.  It's tonally unpleasant to have Indy be more mercenary asshole than rootable rogue archeologist and the future Mrs Spielberg unbearably whining and screaming and doing slapstick against a backdrop of enslaved brutalized children.

• Like 1

Just now, MCKillswitch123 said:

Paramount doesn't even own the rights to Indy anymore, Disney does after the buying of Lucasfilm. Indy 5 is coming out in 2020.

Paramount will a stake in Indy 5 similar to the fee they got from Disney from Iron Man 3 and The Avengers plus they'll still distribution rights to the first four films. 

7 minutes ago, James said:

Talking about Indiana Jones, why hasn't Paramount made another one after KotCS? That movie made an enormous amount of money.

With how rich and powerful Lucas/Spielberg were when they made the first one, I always imagined that a bit like for ET/Back to the Future/Ghostbuster and other example, studios cannot just make those movies sequels without their signed permission.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

The Hollywood Reporter has an article about Tom Cruise which I do agree with:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/mummy-tom-cruise-needs-get-back-acting-1011529

I think it might be time for him to reduce the number of action roles and maybe do more dramatic or comedic role. American Made looks promising and more roles like that would be good for him in the long run.

Eh, he's getting the cool action stunts out of the way while he still can, I guess. And they also make loads of money. He can do the more serious roles once he's older.

Someone mentioned Jennifer Connelly, who I think would have been a fantastic Wonder Woman 20 years ago; I miss her. I know she did The Hulk, but I wish someone hired her today as a villain in a major CBM...Madame Hydra, Circe, Madame Masque (if they ever do Iron Man 4), Morgan Le Fay, the Black Queen, Phobia...anybody, really. I just want her to be on Hollywood's radar again... :(  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

It's not that TOD is dark - though I could without the ripping out of the heart.  It's that the lead characters are so unlikable while they're presented as supposedly charming.  It's tonally unpleasant to have Indy be more mercenary asshole than rootable rogue archeologist and the future Mrs Spielberg unbearably whining and screaming and doing slapstick against a backdrop of enslaved brutalized children.

I never found them unlikeable -- maybe a holdover of Ford's and Capshaw's charm. (Though in terms of the latter maybe I'm in the minority). FWIW the slapstick (from what I remember) more-or-less disappears once the enslaved kids show up.

• Like 1

Just now, franfar said:

Eh, he's getting the cool action stunts out of the way while he still can, I guess. And they also make loads of money. He can do the more serious roles once he's older.

He can do both.  He used to vary it up a lot more.  It's harder now as the market's changed but I don't think he's like Ford was 15 years ago - demanding $20m to do a drama and pricing himself out of non action/sci fi roles.  I can't imagine he doesn't get sent some of the better scripts or opportunity to work with some of the better directors.  He's too good to be making a movie with Kurtzman and I'm surprised he accepted it.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Paramount will a stake in Indy 5 similar to the fee they got from Disney from Iron Man 3 and The Avengers plus they'll still distribution rights to the first four films. 

Makes sense. Similar enough to Fox w/the original Star Wars flicks.

3 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

Someone mentioned Jennifer Connelly, who I think would have been a fantastic Wonder Woman 20 years ago; I miss her. I know she did The Hulk, but I wish someone hired her today as a villain in a major CBM...Madame Hydra, Circe, Madame Masque (if they ever do Iron Man 4), Morgan Le Fay, the Black Queen, Phobia...anybody, really. I just want her to be on Hollywood's radar again... :(  

Connelly reads as, for lack of a better term, too frail to play Wonder Woman. And my comment has zero to do with weight.

I remember someone suggested Cruise for Steve Jobs before Fassbender signed on, and while that was never realistically in the cards it could have been something special. Maybe not with Boyle as director though. 

Random but not random thought that went in my mind today: I hate when theaters put quiet movies next to loud ones. Both movies I saw today had WW in the auditorium next to theirs, and the bass leak was LOUD in my showing of ICAN. I didn't notice any leaking in The Mummy because that was a loud movie as well, but it was very annoying in ICAN. 

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1

Just now, Jake Gittes said:

I remember someone suggested Cruise for Steve Jobs before Fassbender signed on, and while that was never realistically in the cards it could have been something special. Maybe not with Boyle as director though. 

aaron sorkin wanted this.

btw, it comes at night has the same RT audience score as The Mummy lol

• Like 1

Just now, Jake Gittes said:

From the leaked e-mails they wanted him - or at least put feelers out for him - around the time Fincher was attached.

• Like 1