YM!

WEEKEND THREAD | Actual: Wonder Woman 58.63M, Estimates: Mummy 32.2M, Underpants 12.3M, Pirates 10.2M, ICAN 6M

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

He can do both.  He used to vary it up a lot more.  It's harder now as the market's changed but I don't think he's like Ford was 15 years ago - demanding $20m to do a drama and pricing himself out of non action/sci fi roles.  I can't imagine he doesn't get sent some of the better scripts or opportunity to work with some of the better directors.  He's too good to be making a movie with Kurtzman and I'm surprised he accepted it.

True. Now, I don't know how big his ego is, but apparently he's a consummate professional on set. All depends on if he can accept a reduced paycheck.

2 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Makes sense. Similar enough to Fox w/the original Star Wars flicks.

Fox owns A New Hope forever but ESB and ROTJ will revert to Disney within the next five years. The prequel trilogy for example was funded by Lucas and Fox just got a distribution fee whereas the IJ were funded and distributed by Paramount. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

I remember someone suggested Cruise for Steve Jobs before Fassbender signed on, and while that was never realistically in the cards it could have been something special. Maybe not with Boyle as director though. 

5 minutes ago, HesAPooka said:

aaron sorkin wanted this.

btw, it comes at night has the same RT audience score as The Mummy lol

5 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

From the leaked e-mails they wanted him - or at least put feelers out for him - around the time Fincher was attached.

4 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I still think that Steve Jobs would have been a hit if it had been starring an A-lister.

3 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

What could have been. 

The most amazing version would've been Christian Bale. Too bad it never came together.

(The version we got was still pretty dang special).

• Like 3

Cruise has the same acting problem as depp. they did too many fantasy/sci-fi/action movies where they don't play a real person, that the public will have a hard time accepting them in a normal role

Edited by Alli

2 minutes ago, Alli said:

Cruise has the same acting problem as depp. they did too many fantasi/sci-fi movies where they don't play a real person, that the public will have a hard time accepting them in a normal role

Counting THE MUMMY, Cruise has made 20 movies since 2000. Three of them have been fantasy/sci-fi.

(That being said I don't think he would've been a good fit as Jobs.)

• Like 6

Biggest first day for a Cruise movie in China- $18.7 million

Biggest opening day for a Cruise movie in Russia- $1.6 million

Biggest Cruise debut day in Brazil- $526.000

Record for biggest opening day for any movie in South Korea

More $20.5 million from 33 international markets.

http://variety.com/2017/film/asia/mummy-china-box-office-opening-tom-cruise-1202460329/

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Fox owns A New Hope forever but ESB and ROTJ will revert to Disney within the next five years. The prequel trilogy for example was funded by Lucas and Fox just got a distribution fee whereas the IJ were funded and distributed by Paramount. 

Well, it's their business but I think that Fox should have held on to the original trilogy altogether. I mean, they are all classics, and staples of 20th Century Fox's filmography, not just A New Hope. Hell, I think they should hold on to the prequels too, but I get why those are being handed to Disney. Empire and ROTJ not so much, but oh well, biz is biz.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

1 minute ago, Maxmoser3 said:

GI Joe did quite well. 

$175m budget - $302m WW....  meh - and about financially as well as Van Helsing which was an abomination - though it probably gives us the only time the love interest died from being landed on by her leading man...

1 minute ago, God Emperor Tele said:

Counting THE MUMMY, Cruise has made 20 movies since 2000. Three of them have been fantasy/sci-fi.

i added action after i posted.  the characters he plays are not real people with normal surroundings

2 minutes ago, God Emperor Tele said:

Off the top of my head Minority Report, War of the Worlds, Oblivion, EOT and Mummy are already more than three. And it's not like Ethan Hunt is any kind of a "normal" character.