YM!

WEEKEND THREAD | Actual: Wonder Woman 58.63M, Estimates: Mummy 32.2M, Underpants 12.3M, Pirates 10.2M, ICAN 6M

Just now, Jonwo said:

Does that include the Mission Impossible films? 

II, III, IV, and V have been out since 2000. Cruise had Vanilla Sky which was a unique sci-fi fantasy,  that was actually decent. 

War Of The Worlds, and Minority Report.

Just now, MCKillswitch123 said:

Well, it's their business but I think that Fox should hold on to the original trilogy altogether. I mean, they are all classics, and staples of 20th Century Fox's filmography, not just A New Hope. Hell, I think they should hold on to the prequels too, but I get why those are being handed to Disney. Empire and ROTJ not so much, but oh well, biz is biz.

Lucasfilm have ownership of the films, Fox's only involvement was distribution. It's similar to how the original Willy Wonka movie was originally distributed by Paramount but now owned by WB. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ddddeeee said:

Doctor Strange was rubbish.

It was very good until the last act, which was very out of place.

Although I think it's still a very good movie irregardless of its issue.

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

$175m budget - $302m WW....  meh - and about financially as well as Van Helsing which was an abomination - though it probably gives us the only time the love interest died from being landed on by her leading man...

Van Helsing was the Godzilla '14 of 2004. Had a decent start, but died off quickly due to competition and mixed to negative reception. 

My thoughts on the numbers:

Just like the film itself, those numbers are fine-ish for The Mummy. My club is probably toast if it doesn't open on the low end, but this has Toxic WOM as indicated by the 49% audience score on RT.

I highly doubt ICAN is hitting 9M this weekend with the WOM it's having. It might beat The Witch's OW, though.

Shit numbers for Megan Leavey. Theaters will be quick to drop this one.

Very good for WW.

Excellent increase for CU.

POTC could be doing worse, I guess.

Hi guys,

Gonna watch Mummy 99 in 10 mn :) Love this film the true Indiana jones 4 :D The music by Jerry goldsmith is gorgous. It's a summer popcorn from my childhood so i will never hate it .

BTW speaking of TOD i just came back from a screening in my City for the event "Il était une fois" Once upon a time it's an event of old movies that had an impact like Indiana jones trilogy Alien Godfather Shining Jaws etc :)

And on the screen (my first time ever) i was 1 month when the film came out :D it's totaly another story. At home it has no impact but in theater man seeing the hearh scene is prety intense  you walked out of the theater not feeling good even after the happy end. I understand the PG 13 creation after this film i f i was parent this time around i would be prety hungry on spielberg but it's another time.

The next week The last crusade my favorite one.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

$175m budget - $302m WW....  meh - and about financially as well as Van Helsing which was an abomination - though it probably gives us the only time the love interest died from being landed on by her leading man...

Yep, 300mil on a 175mil budget is not great. 

4 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Lucasfilm have ownership of the films, Fox's only involvement was distribution. It's similar to how the original Willy Wonka movie was originally distributed by Paramount but now owned by WB. 

Well yeah, that's a good point. Fair enough then, even if I do feel like all of the original trilogy (and prequels too) will forever be Fox movies - just like the first Indy's and the first few MCU flicks are all Paramount flicks in my eyes. But that's another story.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

POTC could be doing worse, I guess.

If 11 from Deadline holds, it will be on 136+

neck and neck with APOC's 136.3 but with a better weekend - 11 v 10 (POTC faced more competition in weekend 2 while APOC faced more in weekend 3).

20 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

From the leaked e-mails they wanted him - or at least put feelers out for him - around the time Fincher was attached.

It was still going on with Danny Boyle version:

It was great seeing you both yesterday. I've gotten Scott and Danny to the point where they're now a little interested in Tom Cruise. Though both remain concerned about his age (me less so) everyone agrees that he's an actor who can really handle language (Lions for Lambs, Magnolia, A Few Good Men) and a movie star who feels comfortable owning the stage. He's in London filming right now and Scott wants to get him a script to read and a meeting with Danny before Danny comes here to LA next week. I've been warned that he likes to bring in Chris McQuarrie to re-write but Maha Dakhil (who wants him in the movie) has assured me that won't happen. 
Aaron

He was even ready to not re-write the movie and just do it for a movie like that. Sony studio runners did seem to love having him being there a lot.

Hard to imagine anyone doing a better job than Fassbender too (nice use of the word job here), it didn't require necessarily a theater trained and experimented actor like him, but with that crazy and dense amount of dialogue script (and Sorkins speech) you certainly needed those ability.

Depending on how true the bolded part is, that could explain a lot (and obviously establish writer/director would never accept deal like that and never consider Cruise for their movies if they don't have already a working relationship with him)

Edited by Barnack