WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 130): Cars 53.7M | Wonder Woman 41.3M | All Eyez 26.4M | Mummy 14.5M | 47 Meters 11.2M | POTC 9M | Rough Night 8M

Can't say i care much about biopics. directors/screenwriters can't have that much insight into a person's mind/actions; especially when the subject is dead.  look at this weekend's All eyes on me. Jada PS already spoke against it.

Its sad that many people will know a personality cos of how one movie portrays them. Most of these movies are based on  just gossip/sensastionalism

Edited by Alli

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

The Mummy - more trailer views than literally everything.

Should have been marketed with that tag line.

Edited by a2knet

2nd Update, 12:38PM: Disney’s Cars 3 will lead today with an estimated $21M based off of matinees, which is higher than the $19.7M that the 2006 Cars made on day one and just under the $25.7m that Cars 2 deposited. One industry estimates sees the Pixar film at $57.5M, but with Saturday matinees and Father’s Day, plus its fresh reviews, it won’t be a surprise to see Cars 3 pace past $60M.

Lionsgate Code Black/Morgan Creek’s All Eyez on Me is very strong and could upset Wonder Woman for No. 2 for the weekend. Both are respectively at $35M and $37.5M. Most of tracking saw the Tupac Shakur movie in the low $20M for the weekend, but one rival major studio’s estimates saw the film at $25M-$30M given the pic’s momentum in advance ticket sales. Those projections were considered to be too aggressive, but now they’re more than the reality. Today is Tupac’s birthday (he would have been 46) and Lionsgate is wisely harnessing the rapper’s fanbase by opening All Eyez today.

There’s also a draw at the weekend box office between Entertainment Studios’ 47 Meters Down and Sony’s Rough Night which are each looking at between $10M-$11M over three-days per industry estimates. The Mandy Moore-Claire Holt-Matthew Modine shark thriller is slightly ahead of the Scarlett Johansson romp film, $4.25M to $4M today. 47 Meters Down made more than Rough Night last night, $735K to $700K, and those figures are rolled into both titles opening day figures. Reviews for 47 Meters Down have settled down in the 54% Rotten range.

• Like 11

10 minutes ago, Alli said:

Can't say i care much about biopics. directors/screenwriters can't have that much insight into a person's mind/actions; especially when the subject is dead.  look at this weekend's All eyes on me. Jada PS already spoke against it.

Its sad that many people will know a personality cos of how one movie portrays them. Most of these movies are based on  just gossip/sensastionalism

As a counter to this, LA Weekly has a review by a dude who wrote a biography of Tupac's life, and he said the movie's very accurate (and also excellent). 

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

2nd Update, 12:38PM: Disney’s Cars 3 will lead today with an estimated $21M based off of matinees, which is higher than the $19.7M that the 2006 Cars made on day one and just under the $25.7m that Cars 2 deposited. One industry estimates sees the Pixar film at $57.5M, but with Saturday matinees and Father’s Day, plus its fresh reviews, it won’t be a surprise to see Cars 3 pace past $60M.

Lionsgate Code Black/Morgan Creek’s All Eyez on Me is very strong and could upset Wonder Woman for No. 2 for the weekend. Both are respectively at $35M and $37.5M. Most of tracking saw the Tupac Shakur movie in the low $20M for the weekend, but one rival major studio’s estimates saw the film at $25M-$30M given the pic’s momentum in advance ticket sales. Those projections were considered to be too aggressive, but now they’re more than the reality. Today is Tupac’s birthday (he would have been 46) and Lionsgate is wisely harnessing the rapper’s fanbase by opening All Eyez today.

There’s also a draw at the weekend box office between Entertainment Studios’ 47 Meters Down and Sony’s Rough Night which are each looking at between $10M-$11M over three-days per industry estimates. The Mandy Moore-Claire Holt-Matthew Modine shark thriller is slightly ahead of the Scarlett Johansson romp film, $4.25M to $4M today. 47 Meters Down made more than Rough Night last night, $735K to $700K, and those figures are rolled into both titles opening day figures. Reviews for 47 Meters Down have settled down in the 54% Rotten range.

That would be a bad OD for Cars 3 if that holds, especially with the preview numbers included. Good start for All Eyez On Me, and a great hold forecast again for Wonder Woman. 

With Rough Night dying, The House and Girls Trip are the last chances for a comedy breakout this summer. Baby Driver will do decently enough, but as with all Edgar Wright movies, chances of a big breakout are minimal.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

As a counter to this, LA Weekly has a review by a dude who wrote a biography of Tupac's life, and he said the movie's very accurate (and also excellent). 

I mean, I always believe the LA Weekly over the actual people being portrayed, but maybe that's just me.

• Like 1

CARS3 has the same preview to OD multiplier as MINIONS. Front-loading commence.

Minions OD was 7.41x the previews (46/6.2).

That gives 7.41*2.8 = 20.75 OD to Cars3.

Similar Sat and Sun holds will give 53 OW but Father's Day could push it north of 55.

EDIT: Assuming 21 holds. Deadline has been a little conservative with early numbers (except for Mummy) off late.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

That would be a bad OD for Cars 3 if that holds, especially with the preview numbers included. Good start for All Eyez On Me, and a great hold forecast again for Wonder Woman. 

With Rough Night dying, The House and Girls Trip are the last chances for a comedy breakout this summer. Baby Driver will do decently enough, but as with all Edgar Wright movies, chances of a big breakout are minimal.

The highest grossing comedies of the summer will come in August: Hitman's Bodyguard and Logan Lucky :lol: Right now I think BD will do 20M over its 5 day and The House 13M on OW.

1 minute ago, Telemachos said:

I feel the same about biographies lol. so many hacks claim to have known these personalities..

autobiographies i can deal with. steve jobs was based on his autobiography, right?

I see All Eyez getting over 30M, as I do think that it may drop harshly on Saturday. Though right now the wom isn't so bad (77% audience score on RT). Wouldn't be shocked if Wonder Woman was #2 this weekend.

Cars 3 is actually off to a promising start. I don't think it's gonna reach Cars 2's opening numbers, but I do think that it'll benefit from better wom and get past 60M. Right now, it's at 83% in audience score, where the 1st movie had 79% and 2 had 50%. And, if you go to Twitter and type the words "cars 3 made me cry", you'll be surprised at the amount of tweets saying that very sentence.

It would be a bit sad if 47 Meters outperformed Rough Night, but it is what it is.

Just now, grim22 said:

I mean, I always believe the LA Weekly over the actual people being portrayed, but maybe that's just me.

One scene in a movie -- whether entirely invented, extrapolated, claimed by some nor others, etc -- doesn't automatically indict the rest of it. I don't have any idea about the intent, meaning, or content of the scene(s) in question but I do know that often people closely connected to a story can focus on minutiae instead of the bigger picture. And of course it's not wrong for them to do so -- it's their life and it's gonna seem weird and wrong everytime it digresses from what happened. But that doesn't necessarily matter to anyone else watching. 

• Like 3

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

The highest grossing comedies of the summer will come in August: Hitman's Bodyguard and Logan Lucky :lol: Right now I think BD will do 20M over its 5 day and The House 13M on OW.

I could see The Hitman's Bodyguard doing $25-30m OW, it's such a simple but appealing premise and the marketing has been solid so far. 

Wonder Woman's third weekend gross is in line with what I thought it would do and it's higher than the last three DCEU films' third weekend. 

1 minute ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

I see All Eyez getting over 30M, as I do think that it may drop harshly on Saturday. Though right now the wom isn't so bad (77% audience score on RT). Wouldn't be shocked if Wonder Woman was #2 this weekend.

Cars 3 is actually off to a promising start. I don't think it's gonna reach Cars 2's opening numbers, but I do think that it'll benefit from better wom and get past 60M. Right now, it's at 83% in audience score, where the 1st movie had 79% and 2 had 50%. And, if you go to Twitter and type the words "cars 3 made me cry", you'll be surprised at the amount of tweets saying that very sentence.

It would be a bit sad if 47 Meters outperformed Rough Night, but it is what it is.

I expect Cars 3 Friday number will

go up. Normally I would say it would have a better multiple than Cars 2 but DM3 is making me hesitant 

3 minutes ago, Alli said:

I feel the same about biographies lol. so many hacks claim to have known these personalities..

autobiographies i can deal with. steve jobs was based on his autobiography, right?

Authorised biography, Steve Jobs never wrote an autobiography but he authorised Walter Isaacson to write a biography.

• Like 2