WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 130): Cars 53.7M | Wonder Woman 41.3M | All Eyez 26.4M | Mummy 14.5M | 47 Meters 11.2M | POTC 9M | Rough Night 8M

Just now, grim22 said:

What a horrible couple of years for comedy. Is Daddy's Home the highest grossing comedy of the past 2 years?

Pretty much although Bridget Jones's Baby was very successful despite the poor domestic total.

Just now, That One Guy said:

Why wouldn't it?  The trailers have played really well at movies, it can appeal to both male and female demographics, and it has Ferrell and Poehler headlining it.

it'll do fine but I hardly see it "rejuvenating the genre"

Everywhere I look All Eyez is already pretty full or sold out tonight. Even in Canada where that type of film doesn't do super well (unfortunately). But Saturday and Sunday are both empty lol.

Wouldnt be surprised with a Friday around 16-19M and weekend around 35-36M.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

Comedy movies are going into a similar crisis that the Horror genre faced back in 2014/2015. 

Not so long ago a movie like Neighbors could do 150m....

Will have a clearer idea with Will Ferrel comedy, they both could do really well (if even him don't open them, then yeah crisis would be the good word).

Despicable me 3 should easily win the comedy of the summer title.

3 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

IN which on do they explain how cars procreate?

Should be the one after CARS3 - CARS 4NICATE

Or if we are lucky, CARS69

Edited by a2knet

14 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Everywhere I look All Eyez is already pretty full or sold out tonight. Even in Canada where that type of film doesn't do super well (unfortunately). But Saturday and Sunday are both empty lol.

Wouldnt be surprised with a Friday around 16-19M and weekend around 35-36M.

Compton did 12x previews. That would give Eyez 36+.

Maybe too much going by some posters. But 30 is on cards imo.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

I think the problem is Comedy is a genre that some people can just wait and catch on Netflix or when it's released on Blu-Ray. Especially when there's other options like Cars 3 or Wonder Woman which would work better for a theatrical experience. Most of today's comedies are pretty mediocre which is why it takes good audience WOM to have one that seems like it should be catched in theaters (Bad Moms). 

Edited by Rman823
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Rman823 said:

I think the problem is Comedy is a genre that some people can just wait and catch on Netflix or when it's released on Blu-Ray. Especially when there's other options like Cars 3 or Wonder Woman which would work better for a theatrical experience. Most of today's comedies are pretty mediocre which is why it takes good audience WOM to have one truly seem like one that should be catched in theaters (Bad Moms). 

Also, this better theatrical experience like deadpool and gotg provide pretty good comedy.

• Like 2

WB is doing such a shitty job at marketing The House. It could have easily been a 30M+ OW grosser if awareness was higher. EC says it's a decent movie too, and his opinions of the other summer comedies fell in line with the consensus. Right now I expect Baby Driver to open higher.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Rman823 said:

I think the problem is Comedy is a genre that some people can just wait and catch on Netflix or when it's released on Blu-Ray. Especially when there's other options like Cars 3 or Wonder Woman which would work better for a theatrical experience. Most of today's comedies are pretty mediocre which is why it takes good audience WOM to have one that seems like it should be catched in theaters (Bad Moms). 

Yeah, it would help if they were funny and good movies.  Just like it would help the almost theatrically dead genre of Romantic Comedy if they were actually romantic and funny.  We're currently doing the 1987 look back and there are so many good comedies of different flavors and in different genres that it makes the current output look even more shabby by comparison.

Horror rebounded by releasing quite a bit of good product after years of mostly grade D shlock.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

Baby Driver Trailer 2 on Sony's YT: 1.2M views in 15 days

The House Trailer 2 on WB and Kino: 840k in 29 days

The House has aired about 200 more ads than BD (1k vs 800 last I checked iSpot). I'm not expecting anything huge for either right now, but BD has the advantage of stellar reviews.

8 minutes ago, damnitgeorge08 said:
10 minutes ago, Rman823 said:

I think the problem is Comedy is a genre that some people can just wait and catch on Netflix or when it's released on Blu-Ray. Especially when there's other options like Cars 3 or Wonder Woman which would work better for a theatrical experience. Most of today's comedies are pretty mediocre which is why it takes good audience WOM to have one truly seem like one that should be catched in theaters (Bad Moms). 

8 minutes ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

Also, this better theatrical experience like deadpool and gotg provide pretty good comedy.

I agree with both of this, it is not like pure action, hardcore Sci-fi or pure romance is doing that well either, more and more you need to combine 2/3 genre together to open a movie.

There is theater becoming the big spectacle affair phenomenom, combined with strong competition of action-comedy, adventure-comedy, dramedy, and less and less but rom-com from the Force Awaken, MCU, Pixar and other high quality+high spectacle movie that are for the most part really good comedy. 

I think my audience laughed more in Wonder woman than Rough Night, certainly the case for Force Awaken or Guardian of the galaxy.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

Yeah, it would help if they were funny and good movies.  Just like it would help the almost theatrically dead genre of Romantic Comedy if they were actually romantic and funny.  We're currently doing the 1987 look back and there are so many good comedies of different flavors and in different genres that it makes the current output look even more shabby by comparison.

Horror rebounded by releasing quite a bit of good product after years of mostly grade D shlock.

The lack of decent comedy writers doesn't help. The 90s and early 00s had Nora Ephron, Nancy Meyers and Richard Curtis to name but a few, most comedians or comedy writers have migrated to television rather than write feature films. You get the odd break out like The Hangover, Bridesmaids, Bad Moms etc but they're the exceptions and not the rule

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Yeah, it would help if they were funny and good movies. 

The Edge of Seventeen, The Nice Guys, even funny good movies have an hard time it seem. Baby Driver and Big Sick look excellent, people are not predicting big performance from them either. Pop star was at least average to, and it had a hook, some brand, nearly 2500 theater... didn't do 10 million. 

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

It's not until December 2018 so they've got plenty of time to film it. Hell, they could film in January and still get release it in time,

Maybe, but they need to cast more actors. Plus I question if Singer is the right director make the film.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nova said:

@Reyand @WrathOfHan

I'm gonna need you guys to post some more pictures in order for the battle to be decided. 

I'm not about to let my Queen be objectified by some messy ass creatures because they wanna decide who has the better boobs, body, ass, etc.

Tacky.

• Like 1