WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 130): Cars 53.7M | Wonder Woman 41.3M | All Eyez 26.4M | Mummy 14.5M | 47 Meters 11.2M | POTC 9M | Rough Night 8M

4 hours ago, aabattery said:

Pretty amazing how they are the only site which is sitiing a 200 million dollar budget.  There must be more to this story.  Someone pissed off Deadline and whoever is writing the article.  The way it stands, the movie has a 125 million dollar budget.  If we go by hints, innuendo, secret sources and so on, then every film's budget is way bigger than reported.  So screw Deadline at this point.  I didn't like the film but this attempt to demonize it is really transparent and frankly annoying.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

Pretty amazing how they are the only site which is sitiing a 200 million dollar budget.  There must be more to this story.  Someone pissed off Deadline and whoever is writing the article.  The way it stands, the movie has a 125 million dollar budget.  If we go by hints, innuendo, secret sources and so on, then every film's budget is way bigger than reported.  So screw Deadline at this point.  I didn't like the film but this attempt to demonize it is really transparent and frankly annoying.

There is different level of secrecy/ability to spin, many movies were bought in a more public fashion made more independently and not in-house planned affair, with a lot of studio bidding on them and a lot of people knowing the planned budget.

And it is not the only the site saying that, variety was saying from the beginning:

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/the-mummy-meltdown-tom-cruise-1202465742/

With terrible reviews, “The Mummy,” which insiders say cost as much as $190 million to make and more than $100 million more to market and release worldwide,

http://www.businessinsider.com/tom-cruise-control-the-mummy-box-office-flop-2017-6

In the wake of the disastrous domestic opening for Universal's "The Mummy," which at a budget of around $190 million only took in $31.6 million (though it did much better internationally), the finger-pointing has begun.

The way it stands the movie does not have a known budget, that 125m in the trade at release time mean close to nothing and yes most in house studio film budget tend to be inaccurate.

• Like 3

My point is Barnack, the reported budgets are never what they really are.  There's one member of this site that I talk to privately who has access to true budgets and he tells me all the time that budgets are way higher than what are reported.  But no one, including Deadline, has gone after those movies.  They seem to have an agenda with this one.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

My point is Barnack, the reported budgets are never what they really are.  There's one member of this site that I talk to privately who has access to true budgets and he tells me all the time that budgets are way higher than what are reported.  But no one, including Deadline, has gone after those movies.  They seem to have an agenda with this one.

Agree, there's always secrecy surrounding these budgets, but unless the company actually come out and give the actual numbers then take all those insider crap with a grain of salt.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, baumer said:

People love to crap on movies with horrible reviews that underperform big time. I am sure all big budget movies under report on budget. 

On Mummy dont forget Cruise gets some % on gross BO. That makes it even worse. 

• Like 2

Deadline wrote 100 articles about The Mummy already. 

By the way, didn't that same deadline say Suicide Squad had to make 800 million worldwide, just to break even? Not only Deadline, but tons of sites. We've seen that before. It's funny that Suicide Squad is the most profitable DCEU movie ( not counting WW yet ).

Just movie along. For some reason ( definitely odd ), they seem to be hating The Mummy. Not even Fant4stic had that stuff coming from them. 

Sometimes I got the feeling that Deadline wanted Wonder Woman to destroy The Mummy overseas, but that didn't happen. Now we get all these BS articles. 

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, baumer said:

If you know that reported budget are never what they really are (they often are outside in-house studios too), I,m not sure what you mean by the budget as it stand is 125m, you know more than most how very likely untrue that is. Are you more that the movie people playing box office fantasy game should use or really mean that is likely the actual movie budget ?

They rarely (i don't remember a case) repeated it as often, but I think they often did that in the past point out rumors of budget way bigger than reported, Ghost in a shell recently for example they did the same:

http://deadline.com/2017/04/ghost-in-the-shell-scarlett-johansson-box-office-flop-whitewash-1202061479/

Some sources even assert that the production cost for Ghost is far north of $110M and more in the $180M range — if that’s the case, Ghost is bleeding in excess of $100M.

By the way, didn't that same deadline say Suicide Squad had to make 800 million worldwide, 

I think it was Hollywood reporter, and they were quoting someone "industry veteran" that were telling them that and they were saying that other disagreed with that point of view I think:

Another veteran says the goal is survival: "The movie's got to do $750 million, $800 million to break even. If they get anywhere close to that, they'll consider it a win."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/suicide-squads-secret-drama-rushed-916693

Deadline is saying that the movie made over 150 million in profit without reaching 800m:

http://deadline.com/2017/03/suicide-squad-box-office-profit-2016-1202052792/

Edited by Barnack

Why bring up Wonder Woman's box office when talking about Deadline's obsession?  I don't see how Wonder Woman has anything to do with their obsession.

Anyway, I don't get why Deadline thinks that some underperforming terrible movie is such a big story? There wasn't even a lot of buzz on The Mummy. It's not like this movie's failure is going to kill Universal or something. And going by the Deadline's panicky articles you'd think that no movie ever made any money. Personally I never believe Deadline's end of the year profit articles like a lot of people do.

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 1

I think it's a little disingenuous to say Deadline is completely wrong. It's pretty undeniable that The Mummy isn't performing to expectations, and I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up losing money for Universal. 

The fact that they keep putting up so many articles about it does feel a bit vindictive though.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Oh damn, Kingsman has a 140M budget :jeb!: We're getting the two highest budget R rated films within weeks of each other.

I know I'm being pedantic, but WB spent at least 300m on the Matrix sequels (as one big production) and THE REVENANT went way over 150m as well, IIRC. T3 was also 150+

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Matrix4You said:

I do not see how Wonder Woman holds up better than -73% today...unfortunately.  About 4.1 Monday

That seems excessively high, especially for a film that didn't seem to be so heavily father skewing. Over the past several years, dad-skewing titles tend to have larger Monday drops, and can get above 65%, but even in such cases, that's not super common.

We should see the biggest drops go to The Mummy, PotC5, and GotG2 today. Wonder Woman and Megan Leavy should have slightly smaller drops. Things like Rough Night should have pretty modest drops.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, DamienRoc said:

That seems excessively high, especially for a film that didn't seem to be so heavily father skewing. Over the past several years, dad-skewing titles tend to have larger Monday drops, and can get above 65%, but even in such cases, that's not super common.

We should see the biggest drops go to The Mummy, PotC5, and GotG2 today. Wonder Woman and Megan Leavy should have slightly smaller drops. Things like Rough Night should have pretty modest drops.

WW did have the 4th best Sunday hold (-5%) after GOTG2's 9%, Mummy's 1%, POTC's -2%. So it's drop could be on the higher side too. But then it has been surprising all along.

18 minutes ago, DamienRoc said:

I know I know...it seems like it should not.  But last week, it averages $1,500 per location on Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday.  Down 1/3 would be $1,000 per theater average multilied with the 4018 locations.  Seems 4.1 is within reach.  Maybe it holds up better and does 80% of last Monday's per theater average.  That gives it roughly $1,200 nearing 5 million for Monday.