grim22

June 23-25 Weekend Thread | TF5 45M, Cars 3 24.0, Wonder Woman 24.9 (10th highest 4th weekend of all time and biggest 4th weekend of 2017)

8 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Wow, a nearly 80% drop for All Eyez. Holy shit

I'm surprised that people are surprised by this. Notorious plummeted more than 75% from its 4-day opening and the poor reviews/WOM guaranteed nobody who wasn't a Tupac fan was gonna give it a chance. Conversely, it makes you wonder how a great Tupac biopic in the same vein as Straight Outta Compton would've done.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 5

Wonder Woman just needs a 4x multiplier from this weekend to make it to 400m. I think it will make it to 350m by the end of next weekend, if not very close, so by the time Spidey hits, it just needs to stay a little stronger.

Transformers 5 wasn't quite as disastrous as it seemed to be yesterday, but no doubt 150m will be an uphill battle. 

I think The Big Sick (aka the opposite end of interracial dating of Get Out) is gonna be a BIG indie player throughout the entire summer. It'll have the chance to build WOM now and could have a surprise breakout run. It's apparently a major crowd pleaser.

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, Spaghetti of 1000 Planets said:

Wonder Woman just needs a 4x multiplier from this weekend to make it to 400m. I think it will make it to 350m by the end of next weekend, if not very close, so by the time Spidey hits, it just needs to stay a little stronger.

STOP TALKING ABOUT WONDER WOMAN WHY ARE YOU GUYS ALWAYS TALKING ABOUT WONDER WOMAN IT'S NOT FAAAAAAAAIIIIR

(sorry i missed my chance to goof on @WrathOfHan's tantrums last night)

• Like 15

Transformers 5 is doing slightly better than initially expected. 13.7/16.4/13.2 ($43.3 million OW/$67 million 5-day). While $140-155 million DOM is a huge decline and might mean the Bumblebee spinoff is heading for ID42 numbers at best, OS should save it and help Paramount stay afloat and/or find a new purpose (maybe mid-budget comedies/Oscar-bait dramas and low-budget thrillers could be their focus instead of tentpoles? Other than M:I and SpongeBob, they don't really have any consistent performers these days)

Spoiler

Wonder Woman continues to perform fantastically! A sub-35% drop against a new Transformers film? Even though it's underperforming, that's still thousands of screens being used for TF5 instead of WW. I'm almost starting to think it may shock us all and have a sub-50% drop against SMH (in which case, $400 million DOM is likely locked since Apes 3, Dunkirk, Emoji and Dark Tower are not going to do $75 million+ OW most likely).

$28 million ($321 million)

$19 million ($358 million)

$10 million ($379 million)

$5.5 million ($390 million)

$3.5 million ($397 million)

$2.5 million ($402 million)

$1.5 million ($405 million)

$1 million ($407 million)

$0.75 million ($408 million)

$0.5 million ($409 million)

$1.75 million/$2.5 million ($412 million)

$415-418 million DOM

Cars 3 is doing as expected. With summer weekdays, even a 55-60% drop against DM3 should put it on pace for $145-155 million DOM. I think it'll reach $165-170 million DOM.

Captain Underpants, Pirates 5 and 47 Meters Down are holding better than I expected. If it weren't for DM3, I'd say CU could reach $80-85 million DOM. Pirates 5 should get one more good hold since there's no action tentpoles next weekend, putting it on pace for $175 million DOM. 47 Meters Down could end up in the $35-40 million DOM range - not bad for a release everyone thought wouldn't even break $7.5 million OW.

The Mummy and All Eyez are dropping hard. All Eyez was expected, but I thought Mummy might be able to reach $7 million since TF5 is having a muted OW.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Spaghetti of 1000 Planets said:

Transformers 5 wasn't quite as disastrous as it seemed to be yesterday, but no doubt 150m will be an uphill battle. 

I think The Big Sick (aka the opposite end of interracial dating of Get Out) is gonna be a BIG indie player throughout the entire summer. It'll have the chance to build WOM now and could have a surprise breakout run. It's apparently a major crowd pleaser.

Even with the largest drop it's had so far (its 2nd weekend), WW would do $16 million. Add another $13-16 million in weekdays - it should be at $350-353 million DOM by July 2nd.

• Like 1

I'm happy 47MD has found an audience.  It's going to drop less than 40% even after an awful cinemascore.....I'm happy to see another shark movie make some money.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, baumer said:

I can't find any flaws in it.  It's a perfect ten for me and I've seen it perhaps 20X.  And it's still not Cameron's best film lol.  IMO Aliens is his best.

seeing the movie 12x in theaters and have 2 versions of it on dvd/blu ray, obviously I love the movie.  The one main flaw with me was some of the dialogue.  Yes it makes sure we remember their names, but think about it.  Even with people you have known for a long time, how many times do you say their actual name?  They said Jack and Rose like 300 times in the film that it became a running gag with the girl I saw it with 11 of those times in the theater :P 

but yeah other than that and yes it is kind of a nitpick type thing, I don't really see any flaws.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, druv10 said:

Congrats to WW, it has hit 3 multi. Joining the select few blockbuster SH movies to do so.

GOTG 3.53

SM1 3.52

SM2

TDK 3.38

IM1 3.23

WW 3.11

TA1 3.00

SM2 was a Wednesday opener. I assume you meant recent superhero movies because the old Donner movies and Burton/Schumacher movies easily beat 3 multiplier. Very different time at the box office. 

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

I'm happy 47MD has found an audience.  It's going to drop less than 40% even after an awful cinemascore.....I'm happy to see another shark movie make some money.

agreed.  I thought it was pretty decent too so thought it may pick up a little audience.

I'm planning out the day I get to swim with sandbar and sand tiger sharks, and some stingrays as well.  Should be fun :) 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

SM2 was a Wednesday opener. I assume you meant recent superhero movies because the old Donner movies and Burton/Schumacher movies easily beat 3 multiplier. Very different time at the box office. 

90M+ openers except SM2 which would have opened over 100M without the Wednesday release.

2 minutes ago, druv10 said:

90M+ openers except SM2 which would have opened over 100M without the Wednesday release.

Probably north of $125m with an early May release. Sunday was deflated by July 4th and Monday was huge (up almost 30% over Sunday). Not sure it would have pulled a 3.0 with an early May release. 

$28.3 Million (-31.5%) / $321.5 Million

$17 Million (-40%) / $348.5 Million

$10.03 Million (-41%) / $365.28 Million

$6.41 Million (-36%) / $375.73 Million

Total: $400 Million

International: $395 Million

WW: $795 Million

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ethan Hunt said:

well if we're gonna include Lego Batman then we have to include The Incredibles and Big Hero 6 too

Big Hero 6 yes since it's technically a comic book movie while Incredibles although a superhero movie isn't a CBM.

• Like 2