grim22

June 23-25 Weekend Thread | TF5 45M, Cars 3 24.0, Wonder Woman 24.9 (10th highest 4th weekend of all time and biggest 4th weekend of 2017)

Whats up with those giant increases yesterday? It's not just wonder woman almost every film in the top 10 had an incredible increase. 47MD with 89%! Wtf.

• Like 1

Just now, Ethan Hunt said:

can't pretend I followed Rogue One's box office but I thought of people were saying 600M+

The people here were thinking $385M-$550M most in the $450M-$500M range so it did within expectations.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Thinking every outside of Grinch and Mulan in November 2018 will underperform. Especially X-Men, Beasts 2, and Ralph 2.

Mulan might not be even be released in November 2018. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

Whats up with those giant increases yesterday? It's not just wonder woman almost every film in the top 10 had an incredible increase. 47MD with 89%! Wtf.

The animated films dude both 70%+! If you go back and look at all the comparables over June it's basically unheard of for this specific weekend. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

Maybe the weather was too hot outside so the movies were a good place to go for air conditioning? I don't know either.

33 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Honestly I legit feel robbed of a proper sequel to The Winter Soldier

I concur. CW is ok, but nothing spectacular, which should be on its own. That was more of a team up and more Iron man than anything else.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Maybe the weather was too hot outside so the movies were a good place to go for air conditioning? I don't know either.

Just to push back on this a bit the record heat from earlier in the week especially in the west started to cool off significantly yesterday so I don't think that's it. 

Just now, Telemachos said:

In that case, I think SM1 -> SM2 is an excellent example. I expect a similar decline for WW.

I think a small decline or stay flat but it depends on when it's release, it'll do more on OW but be more frontloaded. I imagine the OS numbers will increase

1 minute ago, Telemachos said:

In that case, I think SM1 -> SM2 is an excellent example. I expect a similar decline for WW.

James actually brings up a great argument with GOTG2 though. the fact that it increased came completely out of no where. and it's not like WW saw a zeitgeist OW it's been relying on the power of legs. maybe James is on to something

Big breakouts are historically just as likely to decline as increase, ala Spider-Man 2, the Empire Strikes Back, Iron Man 2, etc. Deadpool 2 in particular seems like the prime decrease candidate I can remember - the first one captured the zeitgeist and was a unique thing for people, and this doesn't have the novelty. With competition I'm predicting near a 100m decrease on that one. Right around 300m.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Didn't Rogue One perform under most people's expectations?

12 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

can't pretend I followed Rogue One's box office but I thought of people were saying 600M+

10 minutes ago, YourMother said:

The people here were thinking $385M-$550M most in the $450M-$500M range so it did within expectations.

From the Winter Game:

JJ-8: $609.2m

Jake Gittes: $592m

kayumanggi: $575m

Exxdee: $574m

WrathOfHan: $550m

DAJK: $547.98m

glassfairy: $546m

YourMother: $545m

Chewy: $535m

That One Guy: $530m

darkelf: $530m

Fancyarcher: $510m

Grey Ghost: $505m

DamienRoc: $500m

Nutella of Arabia: $482m

CoolEric258: $480m

chasmmi: $477.5m

Spaghetti: $475m

sakskids: $475m

Wrath: $465m

Blankments: $463m

bcf26: $440m

MovieMan89: $385m

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Ethan Hunt said:

James actually brings up a great argument with GOTG2 though. the fact that it increased came completely out of no where. and it's not like WW saw a zeitgeist OW it's been relying on the power of legs. maybe James is on to something

lmao, it didn't come out of nowhere. I was expecting 350M, and many thought it could've hit 400 or went below the first. The range was big on that.

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I think a small decline or stay flat but it depends on when it's release, it'll do more on OW but be more frontloaded. I imagine the OS numbers will increase

It will be way more frontloaded and traditional sequels don't capture the zeitgeist twice in a row: the examples are legion.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, baumer said:

perhaps is due to the weaker than expected performance from transformer 5, and no other major film is opening this week, meaning much more bigger space than expected for holdovers.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

From the Winter Game:

JJ-8: $609.2m

Jake Gittes: $592m

kayumanggi: $575m

Exxdee: $574m

WrathOfHan: $550m

DAJK: $547.98m

glassfairy: $546m

YourMother: $545m

Chewy: $535m

That One Guy: $530m

darkelf: $530m

Fancyarcher: $510m

Grey Ghost: $505m

DamienRoc: $500m

Nutella of Arabia: $482m

CoolEric258: $480m

chasmmi: $477.5m

Spaghetti: $475m

sakskids: $475m

Wrath: $465m

Blankments: $463m

bcf26: $440m

MovieMan89: $385m

I did well in the Winter Game.  Nailed my Strange and RO predictions among others.

This summer game tho... :sadben: 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, The Panda said:

It depends on quality.  Had Hangover 2 been good, it would have increased from Hangover.

Also look at the Jump Street movies.

Comedy sequels can increase, they just need to be quality (as that determines legs which is crucial for a comedy), and they need to be of a movie that's marketable as a franchise and not a one-off concept.

Deadpool is a franchiseable character and a sequel can be done without feeling like a rehash of the first.

It's why I don't think Daddy's Home 2 will do well, as the original was a funny one-off concept (similar to a movie like Neighbors, Ted, etc).

Novelty is an important aspect of humor. Redundant action and redundant vfx is more tolerable than redundant humour imo. That is why it is probably tough to make a good sequel to a comedy. Jump Street definitely pulled it off brilliantly.

• Like 1