Kingp0va

Is anyone other than DiCaprio really a draw??

Every six months or so this topic comes up again.  It's the same stuff over and over again.  I think the bottom line is concept sells more than stars now.  DiCaprio looks to be the one true draw domestically.   

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Tom Cruise is the biggest draw worldwide.  Even if his movies clunk domestically, he always make bank overseas...

Leo is not close to Tom (yet)...

That was true before 2013, but since he seem to have augmented is base with more diverse mens in it. Is sample size is small and it has been a while since he had a really non special movie, but he seem to have reached is own level, with him alone on it with a clear step above everyone else.

Even outside the US:

Django: 262m intl

Gatsby: 206m intl

Wolf: 275m intl

Revenant: 349m intl

That is really an impressive run, combine that by being clearly a safe 40/50m above Cruise domestic and I think he is clearly over Cruise worldwide now. He can make close to Mummy WW money with a Great Gatsby movie that made only 13.3m in China, and more with Django (and Django made only 2.65m in China).

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, baumer said:

Every six months or so this topic comes up again.  It's the same stuff over and over again.  I think the bottom line is concept sells more than stars now.  DiCaprio looks to be the one true draw domestically.   

Pretty much, although Leo did have a miss earlier this decade with J. Edgar (though it probably did better with him than it would have with anybody else considering how much it reeked of failed Oscar bait).

Edited by filmlover

• Community Manager
Just now, filmlover said:

He'll collect his paycheck as a generic villain in a Marvel movie soon enough.

I can't name a single action movie with Leo. Does he look good running like Tom Cruise does?

Just now, Water Bottle said:

Inception is more of a science fiction thriller though. I meant more straight up action.

I guess Body of Lies happened. All I can remember from that movie is Leo running all over Iraq while taking phone calls from Russell Crowe at his house in the US.

• Like 1

Every single actor or actress that someone may think is a draw has a flop or several flops to their name. I think 15 years ago, I would have said there were for sure several box office draws but now a days I really think it's the concept that sells. Don't get me wrong, the actor does matter....but I think the actors and actresses that are most successful box office wise are the ones who find their niche role and stick to it. There's a reason why you'll never find Leo starring in a comedy or why you'd never find Kevin Hart starring in a serious drama. 

Whats interesting now a days though is that because a lot of the successful box office films are franchises, you'll find several actors/actresses star in these franchises, make bank and then do smaller type films on the side and if they flop oh well that actor/actress still has their franchise film to hold onto. So it's not really about being a draw anymore but being lucky enough to snag/star in a successful franchise. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nova said:

Every single actor or actress that someone may think is a draw has a flop or several flops to their name. I think 15 years ago, I would have said there were for sure several box office draws but now a days I really think it's the concept that sells. Don't get me wrong, the actor does matter....but I think the actors and actresses that are most successful box office wise are the ones who find their niche role and stick to it. There's a reason why you'll never find Leo starring in a comedy or why you'd never find Kevin Hart starring in a serious drama. 

Poor Emma Watson got stuck with the worst successful niche: Millennial nostalgia wank :ph34r:

• Like 1

Visual Effects companies are the biggest draws in the motion picture industry from the last 15 years or so.

Don't believe me ?

Check out the top 20 of each year since the beginning of the 21st century.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Kingp0va said:

edit: dicaprio aint even that much of a draw overseas

What was the last western that made a killing OS before Django and the Revenant? The answer is Dances with Wolves  almost three decades ago.

Leo is just as big OS as he is in the US. Maybe more. Though he is talking a very long break atm. He is rumored for a billion projects but hasn't commited to anything. He probably won't have a movie out before 2019.

It reminds me a little of Will Smith when he took a break at the peak of his popularity and did nothing except a MIB sequel for half a decade. People assumed during that time that he was still every bit the megastar he was after Hancock since there weren't many signs to the contrary. 

My point is: Leo people move on fast, you better hurry.

1 minute ago, ChipMunky said:

Leo is the draw. The thread answer is: No.

So I would ask you (to try to define what people mean when they say draw):

Do you think that if the movie Tammy:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=tammy.htm

Would have got the same marketing budget, trailers, free awareness giving by the media, theater at the same release day with total unknowns actor that it would have reached 100m ?

That Identity thief would have been one of the biggest money maker of the year:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=identitythief.htm

With a unknown actress ?

I mean, how Kevin Hart not a draw, him completely alone on a stage with a mic can open above 10m:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=kevinhart2016.htm