Nova

5-day Weekend #s: DM3 99M, BD 29.97M, WW 24.07M, TF5 24.05M, Cars 3 14.2M, House 11.9M

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

Seeing how they managed to get IMAX exclusivity over a movie which supposedly had already signed IMAX contracts - I think it does give them special powers

I meant to say that doesn't MEAN they should be given special powers.  I understand that they probably did use "special powers" to secure the date, but that doesn't mean I think they should be given them solely because they're a bigger distributor.

I just hope Luc Besson/EuropaCorp was well compensated for their film being yanked.

3 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

A contract is a contract, the movie that starts with a D should suck it up.

A contract is often more a clear reminder of the exact term (outside when people are really willing to destroy relationship and ready to spend a fortune enforce them), in the business world contract are not respected all the time.

Now Imax listening to Nolan one of their biggest promoter make sense, a player like STX not able to walk out of is release make sense they are just distributing domestic and cannot release that movie domestic week after the rest of the world nor necessarily control the other distributor WW, a lot of this make sense for those player. 

WB making Dunkirk a summer release is maybe the one a bit strange.

• Like 1

Also I don't know if this is anyone else but the movie has been receiving extensive promotions at Regal theaters.

I think in general the film has been marketed really well so far.  The clip that'll be shown with SM:H should help draw in some more crowds and then they just need  to go on a 2 week marketing spree before its release.  If the reviews are solid too, then that'll help even more.  The film can be a success, it just needs to fulfill two very achievable goals in the next two weeks.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, picores said:

Baby Driver is on for very long legs and a great total of 100m+ to become the sleeper hit of the Summer. Good for Edgar Wright.

Sony's year turning around a little bit. Baby Driver should have good legs enough to pass 100m. Spider-Man Homecoming is self explanatory. Emoji Movie is gonna do Angry Birds (90-100m) numbers if I had to guess because what else are families gonna watch in August. The Dark Tower is probably gonna underwhelm but the budget was small so they won't lose a lot of money. 

1 minute ago, Mojoguy said:

Nolan coming off like a huge bully in this. lol

Hell...maybe Europa should have taken the hint that July wasn't a great time to release. Even without Dunkirk there is a lot of competition in the market this month. August would have been a better spot for it.

1 minute ago, aabattery said:

This is on them then. They've had a long-ass time to sort this stuff out.

I don't blame them for not shifting the date tbh.  Seems like Besson wanted that date as much as Nolan wanted it.

I imagine that the deal probably was shitty in this case, and if it was, then it is Europa's fault for negotiating such a bad deal.  Still, WB should've at least been far more aware that placing Dunkirk in that spot would've made it so that Valerian didn't get any IMAX, and they should've been more considerate of the film.  But hey, that's just me

Just now, That One Guy said:

I don't blame them for not shifting the date tbh.  Seems like Besson wanted that date as much as Nolan wanted it.

I imagine that the deal probably was shitty in this case, and if it was, then it is Europa's fault for negotiating such a bad deal.  Still, WB should've at least been far more aware that placing Dunkirk in that spot would've made it so that Valerian didn't get any IMAX, and they should've been more considerate of the film.  But hey, that's just me

No they should not. :rofl: Why should they give a rip about a competitor's product? They have an obligation to their own filmmakers and shareholders to do what's best for their company and their movies, not anyone else's.

• Like 11

Just now, keysersoze123 said:

Valerian is too puny to secure a prime summer date. I am sure imax had a clause that would say that contract wont be valid if there is a big movie from WB or Disney etc. Valerian should open in September or something like that. 

"Too puny?"

I am sorry, but the film is a goddamn space opera that costs $209M+.  That is far from puny, and the film certainly seems like prime summer material to me.