Nova

5-day Weekend #s: DM3 99M, BD 29.97M, WW 24.07M, TF5 24.05M, Cars 3 14.2M, House 11.9M

13 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

If I was Illumination, I would be concerned with DM3's numbers. It's still good but Minions 2 and DM4 might see big declines 

Yeah I would be so concerned doing only x10 my budget :(

It probably will be only top 5 in the most profitable films of the year!

Minions could do 400m WW and still make money with such a budget.

2 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Also has an Emma Watson movie at #1, and a Transformers film + a Pirates film both doing significantly less than the previous in their franchises (DOM). Go figure.

Thor and Apes movies also releasing. Both did better than expected in 2011.

4 hours ago, DAJK said:

The DM franchise I guess we should say has finally passed its peak. I'd say it's still got 2 or 3 big hits left in it, especially considering the budgets are so low. But I don't think we'll see 1B for this series anymore.

Correct. Unless they come up with a really interesting story idea. This latest one smacked of existing for the sake of it. Struggling to justify its own existence as it played, as enjoyable as I found it for the most part. 

5 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

If it delivers Dory level quality (or better) I agree.

Peter Rabbit Col. 2/9/18
Untitled Fox/DWA/Blue Sky (March 2018) Fox 3/23/18
Sherlock Gnomes Par. 3/23/18

Sgt. Stubby: An American Hero

4/13/18

Paddington 2 and Arctic Squard open in January while Laika's project is in May.

I think it'll greatly benefit due to how barren animation is the first half of 2018.

DM3 Forecast:

Remainder of this week: 48.5M (123.9M Total)

Jul 7: 32.5M (14.5M weekdays, 170.9M Total)

Jul 14: 16.3M (7.3M weekdays, 194.5M Total)

Jul 21: 8.2M (3.5M weekdays, 206.2M Total)

Jul 28: 3.7M (1.6M weekdays, 211.5M Total)

Aug 4: 2M (800k weekdays, 214.3M Total)

Aug 11: 1.1M (400k weekdays, 215.8M Total)

Final Total: 220M (2.92x)

2 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Either way, June 2018 is going to be bonkers.

Thats what people said about this June before it happened too and the only thing to occur was Wonder Woman slicing and dicing her way through the unworthy competition. 

a7ebdc3cff7477f874afba2c1e974432ea64af99

Edited by Nova
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

It's a sequel with mixed reviews so the legs won't be as good as those films.

3.3x gives it Moana's ~249. I hope at least that happens. Really feel we should take CD deflating the ow into account. Some of the dough has shifted to Mon and Tue imo. So legs could be better than we expect.

3 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Thor and Apes movies also releasing. Both did better than expected in 2011.

Both had a shitton of family films during the holiday season too (November to December).

Yeah... I'm not getting this Incredibles 2 love either. A sequel fandom has been begging to exist for 13 years now, and as we all know, they don't know what the Hell they really want.

Not a film that you see little kids worshiping like Toy Story or Finding Nemo and it came about at a time when studios were (thankfully) cautious on not overloading the market with superhero movies. Take away the Pixar brand and Brad Bird's name (assuming the latter truly matters, no offense) and release The Incredibles today. Does it make an impact? Great film... but I honestly don't think so.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nova said:

Thats what people said about this June before it happened to and the only thing to occur was Wonder Woman slicing and dicing her way through the unworthy competition. 

Words cannot describe how much I hated Warner Brothers for putting Wonder Woman in June with so much competition. There were silly moments when I thought they were trying to kill it honestly. Welp, shows what I know. Lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nova said:

Thats what people said about this June before it happened too and the only thing to occur was Wonder Woman slicing and dicing her way through the unworthy competition. 

Wait people thought this June was gonna be interesting :WHATanabe: Outside of WW and Capatin Underpants nothing looked really exciting or interesting (imo). Deadpool 2, Incredibles 2, JW2, now thats more like it.

• Like 1

Deadpool 2 is definitely decreasing from 1. I think we all agree on that. Bumblebee will do $100M at most. O8 will likely be the biggest comedy of 2018. Incredibles 2 will breakout and do $400M+ due to lack of big animated/family films and nostalgia. JW2 will dominate.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nova said:

I don't think Incredibles 2 is going to be as big as some folks on here think its going to be. 

Theres my hot take for the day. 

People are getting so carried away with that one, imo. I know it's because its release has been wanted and hyped to high heaven on the internet for years, but that doesn't necessarily equal huge box office especially for an animated film, whose primary demo is kids. I just don't see it as a Toy Story or Nemo in terms of the original still having huge appeal to the kids of today. I'm sure 350 can happen if its well received, but beyond that I'd be very weary. 

2 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

Yeah... I'm not getting this Incredibles 2 love either. A sequel fandom has been begging to exist for 13 years now, and as we all know, they don't know what the Hell they really want.

Not a film that you see little kids worshiping like Toy Story or Finding Nemo and it came about at a time when studios were (thankfully) cautious on not overloading the market with superhero movies. Take away the Pixar brand and Brad Bird's name (assuming the latter truly matters, no offense) and release The Incredibles today. Does it make an impact? Great film... but I honestly don't think so.

I agree that all of those predicting a guaranteed huge floor for this might want to wait to see some previews...this movie is gonna live or die on whether adults accept it, not kids...this concept is not one that really grabs 3-9s like cars, robots, toys, fish, etc...if they want supers, they tend to like the ones they know (like Spidey, Cap, WW)...

I mean, expecting $200M min...okay...but those saying $400M is all but guaranteed...I'd take a pause...

• Like 1