Nova

5-day Weekend #s: DM3 99M, BD 29.97M, WW 24.07M, TF5 24.05M, Cars 3 14.2M, House 11.9M

5 minutes ago, miketheavenger said:

@WrathOfHan once again making a ridiculous prediction for DM3 as he's gloating about its underperformance. There's no way on this earth that DM3 will end up below 200m.

It's not impossible. Shrek the Third only had a 2.64x, and Minions was like a 2.9x with a weak August. DM3 has a lot more competition than Minions did.

5 minutes ago, a2knet said:

It's 5-day could come below Pets ow. That's something I just didn't see coming considering Mon and Tue gonna have strong holds.

It really skews the pre-sales data comps as well... making it harder to judge and SLOP was only 1 year ago!

• Like 1

I never understood the claims of "The Secret Life of Pets opened to $100M+ last year therefore there's no way DM3 will open below it." The former was an original movie, the latter a second (technically third) sequel. Also, the former looked like 90 minutes of adorable pets doing adorable pet things. Who didn't want to see that movie?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I never understood the claims of "The Secret Life of Pets opened to $100M+ last year therefore there's no way DM3 will open below it." The former was an original movie, the latter a second (technically third) sequel. Also, the former looked like 90 minutes of adorable pets doing adorable pet things. Who didn't want to see that movie?

:redcapes: 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I guess now the question will be is if Despicable Me 3 finishes below The Lorax's $214M to become Illumination's lowest grosser (not counting the anomaly that was Hop).

It'll be higher than The Lorax due to summer weekdays. 

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I don't think it was the claims itself as much as the presale data showing DM3 running at or slightly above/below. But then again, SLOP was never my argument for the 100m opening, I was (wrongly) thinking the audience would ignore Minions and treat DM3 as the third film when that obviously didn't end up being the case.

8 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Hindsight is 20/20

Didn't most people think The Secret Life of Pets would do $90m ow at the highest?

2 minutes ago, narniadis said:

I don't think it was the claims itself as much as the presale data showing DM3 running at or slightly above/below. But then again, SLOP was never my argument for the 100m opening, I was (wrongly) thinking the audience would ignore Minions and treat DM3 as the third film when that obviously didn't end up being the case.

I also think a lot of people don't realize an animated film needs a big non-family audience to get to $300M or more. "Parents will take their kids to see anything," even if it's true, will only take a movie so far.

• Like 7

Just now, Biggestgeekever said:

I also think a lot of people don't realize an animated film needs a big non-family audience to get to $300M or more. "Parents will take their kids to see anything," even if it's true, will only take a movie so far.

Pretty much this. Families aren't the only demographic that powered Despicable Me 1/2 and Minions to such big numbers, and I'm guessing the reception to the latter meant a good portion of the non-family audience checked out (and perhaps some of the family audience too as well).

I think Pets (and Sing) over DM3 just shows that the GA will eat up a unique and fresh concept over a sequel if studios are willing to sell it.

Same thing with Inside Out beating out most animated sequels it was around.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Biggestgeekever said:

Yeah, Pets attracted audiences outside of just families, as did Inside Out and Dory.

30 minutes ago, a2knet said:

It's 5-day could come below Pets ow. That's something I just didn't see coming considering Mon and Tue gonna have strong holds.

well, if somebody predict that DM3 would approach $100m, they are still right, just it become 5 days opening figure.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Yeah, Pets attracted audiences outside of just families, as did Inside Out and Dory.

I'm curious how the sequel will perform as it's opening in a much tougher environment than the first film. 

• Like 1

Just now, Jonwo said:

I'm curious how the sequel will perform as it's opening in a much tougher environment than the first film. 

The benchmark for most sequels is the original.

I'd bet on a Pets decline, though.