Nova

5-day Weekend #s: DM3 99M, BD 29.97M, WW 24.07M, TF5 24.05M, Cars 3 14.2M, House 11.9M

Wasn't 2016 one of WB's best years, in terms of box office gross?

Again, why is this up for debate?

And yet Greg Silverman was de facto fired in the end of year. So, cleary, Tsujihara or/and Bewkes was not / were not happy with the movie studio performace.

2 hours ago, Nova said:

Honestly a part from a few trolls, this forum is probably the most proactive when it comes to supporting women and POC in big blockbuster type films. At least that's what I've seen. Maybe when WW was first announced there were members saying no one asked for this but in recent months, I haven't seen folks talk about no one asking for it. And I haven't seen folks saying no one asked for a film like Black Panther either. But again I'm not seeing every post on every thread....but from what I have seen it's mostly folks pretty excited in both cases and saying how it's long over due. 

I know this forum has its downs, but when it comes to this particular topic (supporting POC and women in tentpoles), I feel like this forum has been extremely supportive...especially when compared to other forums out there. 

You're welcome!

I do my best to clean the mess around here since some people aren't as good at doing it or don't do it all.

Nevertheless, I agree.

Good to see so many people support progress.

U7sWv7k.gif

Edited by Rey
  • Like 5

WB had also originally scheduled Godzilla 2 for June 2018. They moved it to march 2019 because the director changed but they had to move it anyway cause June 2018 is bonkers.

Edited by Brainbug

48 minutes ago, debarr said:

And yet Greg Silverman was de facto fired in the end of year. So, cleary, Tsujihara or/and Bewkes was not / were not happy with the movie studio performace.

Exactly. If they they had the best performance ever and nothing was wrong then why make any changes to the DC movie unit? And overall why make any changes at all?

4 hours ago, grim22 said:

WB has a tentpole free Summer 2018, which just seems weird.

They have Tomb Raider and Ready Player One in Spring and Jungle Book, FB2 and Aquaman in winter. Really strange lineup, especially if there is no DC movie in July.

Flash was scheduled for 2018 but the project is delayed due to a director change. There's simply not enough time to get a new DC production in. I'm not really concerned about it, since this year seems to be a little big-release heavy with Kong, King Arthur, Wonder Woman, Dunkirk, It and Justice League. Also Warners, of all the major studios, isn't really the one that lives and dies with their big releases. Their signature is the smaller budget films that rack up a ton of cash as well as the various Oscar bait movies that they tend to release.

Blockbusters are also in a real transition state at the moment since there's a lot of franchise fatigue setting in. They've got the appropriate people and vision for their DC properties now, so I think that's set. They really need to reevaluate doing these larger budget tentpoles based on older properties with little interest like Tarzan (did okay), King Arthur (didn't do okay) and Jungle Book (don't anticipate it doing okay). I think the kaiju (Godzilla, Kong, etc.) franchise needs to be reevaluated a bit from a creative standpoint to see where they want to go with it.

I don't think there's going to be any problem with them sort of skipping out on the summer this year. I think the time off will benefit them and I hope they reverse course on the idea of doing more blockbusters and fewer small budget films a few years back with the state of the industry as it stands. They'll also be pretty busy from an organizational standpoint with the AT&T merger that's all but assuredly going to be completed. That's going to entail all sorts of work and analysis on new digital distribution methods for their media that's going to open up with being with AT&T, continuing on looking into the possibility of early video-on-demand releases that will be much easier facilitated with AT&T's network, etc.

Edited by AHepBurn
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Wonder of Rth said:

DM3 14, BD 5.5,WW 4.3, TE 3.8

DM3 down about 27%

BD down about 25%

WW down 18%

TF5 (is that what TE is?) down about 33%.

Good for WW. Okay for DM3/BD. Ouch for TF5.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, a2knet said:

JW2 will rule the year.

Incredibles2 and TA:IW will tussle for #2. (edit: TA:IW has the edge here).

BP can target top 5. Not top 3 imo.

I would take The Incredibles out of the chatter for biggest of 2018. Even with a bigger increase than Nemo-Dory, it'll do $385m. 

Jurassic World and Infinity War will dominate it easily.

6 minutes ago, Wonder of Rth said:

DM3 14, BD 5.5,WW 4.3, TE 3.8

From Deadline's revised Sunday estimates for Baby Driver and Transformers + BOM Sunday estimates for WW & DM3....

DM3 -26.8%

BD -19.1%

WW -18.2%

TE -30.9%

2006 comparison http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?sortdate=2006-07-03&p=.htm

Superman Returns -27%

Devil Wears Prada -20.6%

Click -23.9%

Cars -17.7%

Tokyo Drift -31.6%

X-Men 3 -19.4%

• Like 4

So looking for another potential DCEU release in 2018, WB current have these in develpment

Gotham City Sirens - In development for a year, could be fast tracked if the script is decent. Harley Quinn is a major draw, so best possibility for summer release

Nightwing - Probably a smaller film than the others. Could be fast tracked, but I am not sure it would work as a summer tent pole

Suicide Squad 2 - They should have a script by now. Not sure they should fast track this one

The Batman - Matt Reeves is available now for directing, but Affleck does not want this movie to rushed. I think 2018 is out of the question

Batgirl - Joss Whedon is tied up to Justice Leauge up until november. I don't think he can make the movie for 2018

Man of Steel 2 - Currently no script, no director. Too many effects for a rushed released

Flash - Script problem and no director attached. Too many effects for a rushed released

Justice League Dark - In development for ages. Could be fast tracked.

Wonder Woman 2 - Script currently being written. Don't think they can make it

Shazam - In development for a long time, The Rock is attached. Maybe they could move up the production.

I left out Cyborg and Green Latern Corps since they already have a date.

I think the best bet for another 2018 is Gothan City Sirens or Nightwing, but maybe it is just best to not rush anything. Waiting for Comic Con for confirmation.

• Like 4