Nova

5-day Weekend #s: DM3 99M, BD 29.97M, WW 24.07M, TF5 24.05M, Cars 3 14.2M, House 11.9M

3 hours ago, a2knet said:

Titanic's run will always be unique. Nothing matches it - legs or final number - not even TFA once you consider what 600m meant in 1998-99.

I love Titanic.  And the run it went on is incredible.  But to be fair, it's a completely different era.  It was the last big run before DVD really came into its own.  So I'm taking nothing away from what it did, but that was 20 years ago.  A lot has changed since then.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

Everything went right for Frozen, it had a favorable release date, weak competition, genius marketing, social media explosion, hit song, even the weather was on its side. Not something that is easily repeatable.

You forgot to mention that people loved the movie.  

• Like 1

Just now, CalifoBoy said:

And what do you think about the possibility of it making around 400M$?!

I think 385+ is 100% (it's gonna be close to 360 by Thursday. So only 25 odd away from 385).

390+ is 75%.

395+ is 50%.

400+ is 35% (this % seems high but if it does 395+ WB is likely to push it over 400. So have inflated the %. 395+ might mean neraly same as 400+ if WB is in milestone-mood)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, grim22 said:

Looking at 2006, movies dropped around 40-50% from Monday to Wednesday. So don't be surprised when we see 40% or larger falls for movies today.

Keep in mind, there were no cheap Tuesdays back then.  So the drops might even be bigger this time around.

• Like 1

Just now, baumer said:

Keep in mind, there were no cheap Tuesdays back then.  So the drops might even be bigger this time around.

Which is why I looked at the Monday to Wednesday drops :P 

With or without cheap Tuesday, that drop should remain somewhat consistent.

• Like 3

Just now, Mojoguy said:

As long as Wonder Woman keeps attracting that female audience, it should continue to do fine even after SMH comes out.

There really isn't any films for female audiences in July either.

Girls Trip?

3 hours ago, grim22 said:

Which is why I looked at the Monday to Wednesday drops :P 

With or without cheap Tuesday, that drop should remain somewhat consistent.

Well, I'm not sure what you mean.  I think the drops will be over 50% for most movies from Tuesday to Wed.

5 minutes ago, miketheavenger said:

Those were just the ones off the top of my head. I forgot about Greek Wedding, that belongs in there, too. Deadpool does as well, tbh. That film made more domestically than many people thought it would make worldwide lol. E.T. and Star Wars: A New Hope might also be up there, though that was a totally different era. Sixth Sense and Something About Mary were quite impressive, but I'm not sure how I would rank them. And if we talk about CBMs, how can one forget The Avengers and TDK? So many great runs over the years.

Mary inflates to $331M+ off of a $25M+ OW.

I've already voiced that I believe Avengers, Dark Knight, Jurassic World were far more impressive. They ate up insane demand OW and then sold more tickets after OW DOM than Wonder Woman will sell in her entire run DOM.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

As long as Wonder Woman keeps attracting that female audience, it should continue to do fine even after SMH comes out.

There really isn't any films for female audiences in July either.

I kept saying this in the lead up to this movie. While everyone was talking about competition. WW has access to a demo that's not easily swayed by Transformers or the Mummy or another Spidey reboot

• Like 2

There's Something About Mary had a very underrated box office run. For us old timers on here, it was a magical experience watching it in a theater on its opening weekend. The laughter was almost non-stop from start to finish as audiences were unprepared for how truly funny it was. Its WOM and legs were certainly earned. Hard to believe that film turns 20 next year.

• Like 11

9 minutes ago, a2knet said:

I think 385+ is 100% (it's gonna be close to 360 by Thursday. So only 25 odd away from 385).

390+ is 75%.

395+ is 50%.

400+ is 35% (this % seems high but if it does 395+ WB is likely to push it over 400. So have inflated the %. 395+ might mean neraly same as 400+ if WB is in milestone-mood)

Something I noticed looking at the 2006 charts, Wonder Woman's dailies are almost exactly matching the first Cars movie post the first week. The dailies are literally within a few thousand of each other especially since the calendar configuration is the same, and adjusting for Cheap Tuesdays and Fathers Day.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, baumer said:

Well, I'm not sure what you mean.  I think the drops will be over 50% for most movies from Tuesday to Wed.

What Grim means is that the difference between the Monday and the Wednesday should be about the same relatively, regardless of what happens on Tuesday. At least, that's how I usually look at it week to week. I don't get overly excited about discount Tuesday jumps anymore