CJohn

Weekend Thread 7/7-7/9 | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SMH 117M, DM3 34M, BD 12.5M, WW 10.1M, TF5 6.3M, Biggus Dickus 3.65

5 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Nah, I actually gave TFA a C+ for being a total, and not as good, rip off of Episode 4...but I have kids, and they loved TFA, so we'll be there for the Christmas movie...I'm actually hoping Disney got the "repeat the beats" thing out of their system and give us a really good, more original movie for 8:)...

Ahh ok pretty much same with me, I gave it a B - thought it was good but not as good as the oldies.

My kids are crazy for this as well so will be there opening weekend. TFA make a wat load of $$, therefore I don't see them changing the beat anytime soon.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rman823 said:

Is it wrong to want a little of both from my CBMs. Sometimes I enjoy the out of the box and something different method while other times it's nice to have a "cookie cutter" "by the numbers" type of film. 

I was praying to all of the deities that Wonder Woman would be "cookie cutter" after Batman v Superman and Suicide Squad in 2016. Because my thoughts were that it is obvious that WB does not know how to do edgy and different in a quality way.

Edited by Zakiyyah6

3 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I like Big Hero 6 but it's a seven or seven-and-a-half out of 10 movie. It's not amazing.

It's probably down there with Frozen as my least favorite of the Disney 3D Renaissance. Ralph, Tangled, Zootopia and Moana are all easily better than both of them.

I still think it (and Frozen) are both good movies, though. Better than anything Pixar's produced this decade, besides Toy Story 3, Inside Out and Finding Dory.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

You forgot:

Ghost in the Shell - ...Rupert Sanders?

I would've loved to have seen what the Wachowski's coulda done with Ghost. It's a shame really

Edited by AJG
  • Like 1

I never got the hate for this so called Marvel formula. The reason they stick to it is because it's worked pretty great so far (critically and financially). Why fix what isn't broken ? And to me all Marvel movies don't seem alike anyway.

Edited by Rman823
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

MCU is picking between the most boring possible directing choices (Derrickson, Russos) and some genuinely thrilling ones (Coogler, Waititi) so it kinda evens out. I'm seeing SMH at 3 so I'll let my opinion of Watts known then, but is the consensus that he's babysitting a good script and cast, or actually elevating material? 

I feel like the Keaton, Batalon, and Holland save the movie. So I give him credit for working with actors and allowing good performances. 

Logan and SMH should be the future of the superhero genre. I didn't even quite love Logan like everyone else, but they represent where these movies should be going: placing superheros in the context of different genres and deconstructing them, instead of making superhero movies in the traditional sense. We've seen that so many times, though WW at least supersedes it with a period setting and genuine reverence for its hero. Spidey in a high school comedy? Fun! Spidey is a glowing orb battle to save the world? Borinnng. Wolverine in a neo-western, awesome, but fuck seein another big X-Men team up movie like Apocalypse. I want the next Batman movie to Sherlock Holmes meets Halloween or something, a horror detective film.

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Rman823 said:

I never got the hate for this so called Marvel formula. The reason they stick to it is because it's worked pretty great so far (critically and financially). Why fix what isn't broken ?

Marvel isn't going to fix anything (well the Thor franchise needs to be fixed) because yeah they're doing great. I like Doctor Strange more than most people but I do think that movie was a little too safe on the plotting front and and I don't think that Marvel should be doing that this far into their universe.

Edited by Zakiyyah6

4 minutes ago, Rman823 said:

I never got the hate for this so called Marvel formula. The reason they stick to it is because it's worked pretty great so far (critically and financially). Why fix what isn't broken ?

but it doesn't really push the envelope like Marvel/Fox and DC does

That's fine but we need to respect what these films are and what they are trying to accomplish...

25 minutes ago, Orestes said:

That and if they had put out 5-10 movies a year instead of 50+.

More like a 100+ per year.  In some cases nearing 200.

Then there was TV.  Over the span of the 1950-60s there were several hundred different western series aired.

• Like 1