CJohn

Weekend Thread 7/7-7/9 | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SMH 117M, DM3 34M, BD 12.5M, WW 10.1M, TF5 6.3M, Biggus Dickus 3.65

1 minute ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Its not just that they have similar structure. But they look the same and feel the same tonally too

Given that it's a Cinematic Universe them looking and feeling the same helps me feel this is all in the same world. But if people don't like that then I understand. 

14 minutes ago, FilmBuff said:

I find it interesting people accuse marvel of not taking risks/gambles. 

Wasnt Gotg a risk?

Wasnt Thor a risk?

Wasnt Doctor Strange a risk?

Wasnt Antman a risk?

What marvel did with these properties and the 'acclaim' they get is incredible. Jmo

They did not take risk in terms of story telling. Their stories they tell are pretty standard. But pretty much every blockbuster plays it safe.

25 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Logan and SMH should be the future of the superhero genre. I didn't even quite love Logan like everyone else, but they represent where these movies should be going: placing superheros in the context of different genres and deconstructing them, instead of making superhero movies in the traditional sense. We've seen that so many times, though WW at least supersedes it with a period setting and genuine reverence for its hero. Spidey in a high school comedy? Fun! Spidey is a glowing orb battle to save the world? Borinnng. Wolverine in a neo-western, awesome, but fuck seein another big X-Men team up movie like Apocalypse. I want the next Batman movie to Sherlock Holmes meets Halloween or something, a horror detective film.

No doubt.

• Like 1

No one should be downplaying the MCU massive impact. Marvel did take a huge risk initially. Marvel deserves all the credit in the world and the DC fans should know that they wouldn't be getting these movies if Marvel hadn't been as successful as it has. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, raegr said:

BvS didn't pay off critically or financially but SS did financially and WW did financially and critically

None of those films pushed the envelope.

BvS just doubled down on everything wrong with MOS in terms of poor characterization, tone and plotting minus the better action sequences. 

SS was a cynical incompetent ugly looking rehash of GOTG

WW is the most Marvel like of DCEU films in tone and characterization -  CA:TFA + Thor with with a woman lead and lots of slow-mo.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ethan Hunt said:

MCU movies ate ugly. They are no fun to look at. Granted it looks like Waiititititufiiriititititi and God Cooler are gonna verve it up a little bit so maybe they're headed in the right direction

Umm GOTG Vol 2 looked pretty incredible. Can't wait to get the Ultra HD release. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

None of those films pushed the envelope.

BvS just doubled down on everything wrong with MOS in terms of poor characterization, tone and plotting minus the better action sequences. 

SS was a cynical incompetent ugly looking rehash of GOTG

WW is the most Marvel like of DCEU films in tone and characterization -  CA:TFA + Thor with with a woman lead and lots of slow-mo.

WW is the most unoriginal superhero movie this year (which says a lot since Homecoming is the third Spidey reboot)

Edited by AJG
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

MCU movies ate ugly. They are no fun to look at. Granted it looks like Waiititititufiiriititititi and God Cooler are gonna verve it up a little bit so maybe they're headed in the right direction

Someone hasn't seen GOTG2

OH WAIT

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FilmBuff said:

'Not taking creative risks?' Now I know a lot of you have your heads stuck in the sand. That's okay, I didn't really expect to change any opinions on here.

Okay then.  Name three creative risks in an mcu movie (one movie, not multiple) that didn't involve simply following the source material (so if you choose GOTG, you can't say "it starred a tree and a raccoon" or something alone those lines).

Just now, Rman823 said:

Umm GOTG Vol 2 looked pretty incredible. Can't wait to get the Ultra HD release. 

Trailers didn't really impress me visually but maybe when I see the film as a whole. Anyways looks like they're heading into a more comic booky aesthetic in their next couple films and I'm pretty down with that

2 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

No one should be downplaying the MCU massive impact. Marvel did take a huge risk initially. Marvel deserves all the credit in the world and the DC fans should know that they wouldn't be getting these movies if Marvel hadn't been as successful as it has. 

I'm pretty sure they would still go ahead with comic book's movies after the massive success of the Dark Knight trilogy, regardless of Marvel. Why wouldn't they? They always knew Superman is as big as Batman (with similar box office potential).

• Like 2

Rank the Best Fantasy Franchises

1. Pokemon

2. Game of Thrones

3. Middle Earth

4. The Legend of Zelda

5. Oz

6. Harry Potter

7. The Dark Tower

8. The Witcher

9. The Chronicles of Narnia

10. Warcraft

Just now, Ethan Hunt said:

Trailers didn't really impress me visually but maybe when I see the film as a whole. Anyways looks like they're heading into a more comic booky aesthetic in their next couple films and I'm pretty down with that

Yeah even as a fan one thing I can say is visually the movies are pretty crap (feels this way since they've went digital) But the future does look bright.