CJohn

Weekend Thread 7/7-7/9 | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SMH 117M, DM3 34M, BD 12.5M, WW 10.1M, TF5 6.3M, Biggus Dickus 3.65

I loved Wonder Woman, but it's true that DC movies are too dark, when you see them you have the feeling the world is a pretty dark place barely worthy of being saved given the lack of colors. Apart from the first 30 minutes in Wonder Woman.

On the other hand Marvel movies are joyful, colorful but the bad guys/villains are mostly crappy and the battles pretty lame or far below their potential. Wonder Woman's final battle put all Marvel movies to shame.

Edited by Fullbuster

9 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Okay then.  Name three creative risks in an mcu movie (one movie, not multiple) that didn't involve simply following the source material (so if you choose GOTG, you can't say "it starred a tree and a raccoon" or something alone those lines).

Creative risk will be really hard to define and most of all our mind will be in hindsight of result polluted a lot by them.

A movie like 2014 Godzilla had a lot of "creative risk" imo, 

Spoiler

) Removed from the story the biggest star at the beginning

) Do not show Godzilla much

) Unlikable lead

Having a really likable and cute CGI tree with a funny raccoon are some type of risk (what will they look like in live action for example) that you have a good amount of control of, I'm not sure being in the source material or not is that relevant for judging risk.

In general how safe something successful was would tend to be overrated and the other way around for failure.

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

DCEU movies are the epitome of ugly blockbusters. Even with as much as I love WW, it still ain't a pretty film visually. 

Agreed here too. Neither MCU or DCEU flicks look great though Snyder has a nice eye for design... His bland colors often cancel that out. Pretty much all impressively designed/looking superhero/CBM flicks of the 21sr century are not in a shared universe...

Hellboy II

Kingsman

Kick Ass

Valerian (potentially)

Spider-man 2

Incredibles

Watchmen

... I'm sure I'm missing others.

• Like 1

Imagine ten years ago someone told you that Disney was going to green light a $200 million movie starring the Guardians of the Galaxy characters. 

Now imagine what their reaction would be. I am willing to bet that the person would laugh in your face and say the movie is going to be a flop. 

So folks can say GOTG isn't a risk NOW because it was so successful but come on....no one in their right mind would have ever thought a movie like Guardians would be as big as it is today. And thats just one reason how the MCU in itself is a risk. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

WW at least has some scope to it.

Civil War looks like it was made for TV

The Captain America movies have generally been far uglier than the typical MCU fare, I'll give you that. In fact, they wouldn't look out of place in DCEU. 

Pixar is a great example of simple idea but great execution. 

He lost let's find him. A masterpiece trilogy.

Son lost let's find him. Masterpiece

Superhero family fights with a angry villain who was a fan of hero. Basic story like iron man 3 but unlike iron man 3, a masterpiece.

Rat can cook. A masterpiece.

And so on.

• Like 3

If Wonder Woman was seen as a safe movie WB would have made one ages ago and Marvel wouldn't have waited 10 years into their Universe to release a female led movie. The fact is a lot of people thought that Wonder Woman would fail because it was starring a woman and the character was seen as not being able to work story wise...for some reason. People pretending now that Wonder Woman was a safe bet is ridiculous. Wonder Woman is a goddamn Triumph all around and no amount of revisionist History can change that.

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Okay then.  Name three creative risks in an mcu movie (one movie, not multiple) that didn't involve simply following the source material (so if you choose GOTG, you can't say "it starred a tree and a raccoon" or something alone those lines).

HELLO, MY NAME IS TREVOR

#hailShaneBlack

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

WW at least has some scope to it.

Civil War looks like it was made for TV

Made for tv? What the fyck does that even mean? Shut up Ethan, grown ups are talking.

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

The Captain America movies have generally been far uglier than the typical MCU fare, I'll give you that. In fact, they wouldn't look out of place in DCEU. 

I don't see how the Thor's or the Iron Man sequels are any less brutishally ugly (and I think Iron Man 3 is great)

6 minutes ago, The Panda said:

These cinematic universes are getting too serialized for my tastes.  They're movies trying to be TV shows, except without the time and space to be as effective as modern TV.

I'd agree if I didn't think the bulk of modern TV since Fargo Season 2 kind of sucks. I can't get into any of it. Meandering, neverending longform narratives. Unlike film... I have sit through 20+ hours in s month that doesn't go anywhere.

That said, Legion was pretty great. Very cinematic as well. Easily the most fascinating CB adaptation in '17. Just awesome in spurts. Puts everything else CB this year in theaters or on television to shame.

5 minutes ago, Nova said:

What on Earth am I reading? Regardless of how you feel about the MCU, the whole universe itself is a risk. Like who the hell knew who Iron Man was? Who Captain America was? Who Thor was? Who Ant-man was? Who any of the characters in GOTG are? And no comic book fans do NOT count. Now ask these questions and the majority of folks will give you an answer. Not because they read comic books but because the MCU has gotten that huge. The MCU isn't just some niche universe that has a comic book following. It is massive. It is part of our pop culture now. And each film thats been released has for the most part been a success financially and critically. When we look at the movies now, sure they not be seen as risks to some but just remember that this universe wasn't planned out over night. The movies that are coming out now were planned a while ago....during a time when no one had a clue just how big this universe would be. And thats why no matter how formulaic some of you think MCU movies might be, the universe as a whole is one big risk. A risk that now we can look at it as being extremely successful. 

I will never not be amazed at what Kevin Feige has been able to do. The guy took a bunch of D-list comic book characters and made them insanely popular....all the while producing some quality ass films. Created universes for each one of these characters AND on top of that was able to bring the characters together on screen for The Avengers. It's all extremely remarkable to me and something I never thought would ever happen the way it has. 

The problem with DC/Warners is the did not have a Feige at the helm. Feige knew you needed different approaches for different charecters and developed a formula that allowed for that. DC went with the idea that the dark ,gritty "Dark Knight" approach would work for the whole DC film universe (partuculary after they tried a Marvel type film with Green Lantern and had a disaster.)and it did not work out too well. That approach was perfect for Batsy, but was a bad fit for Supes. Hopefully DC has learned it's lesson.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

I don't see how the Thor's or the Iron Man sequels are any less brutishally ugly (and I think Iron Man 3 is great)

The Thor movies being "ugly" is a baffling comment to me, but to each their own I guess. I think the IM movies strike a pretty nice visual tone, considering they could be very ugly very easily given their settings.

Edited by MovieMan89

3 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

I loved Wonder Woman, but it's true that DC movies are too dark, when you see them you have the feeling the world is a pretty dark place barely worthy of being saved given the lack of colors. Apart from the first 30 minutes in Wonder Woman.

On the other hand Marvel movies are joyful, colorful but the bad guys/villains are mostly crappy and the battles pretty lame or far below their potential. Wonder Woman's final battle put all Marvel movies to shame.

WW's last battle was a mess and how was WW's villain good? 

For all the (misplaced) crap the MCU gets about it's villains DCEU villains so far have been mediocre (Zod, a shame since Stamp's Zod was great), hideously embarrassingly bad (BvS, SS - a crime) and a dud (WW).

• Like 1