CJohn

Weekend Thread 7/7-7/9 | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SMH 117M, DM3 34M, BD 12.5M, WW 10.1M, TF5 6.3M, Biggus Dickus 3.65

11 minutes ago, Rman823 said:

I want a Cara Delevingne giphy.gif

For some reason I don't find her attractive at all, also her acting is not that great either.

For Valerian, I think it would have better traction if they would of gotten better main actor/actress.

That's just my opinion, although will watch either way. Perhaps I might be wrong after I actually watch the movie.

Edited by Subzero

4 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I don't just want Valerian to do well, I think it NEEDS to do well.  It's the kind of movie that Hollywood rarely makes.  They rarely spend 200M+ on a little known property.  They rarely let a visionary director have full creative control.  They rarely take risks on big budget sci-fi.  Valerian is doing a lot of things that people want to see more of in Hollywood.  How many times have you seen someone on Reddit or something say how Hollywood is out of original ideas and takes no risks...before rejecting the original ideas and risks.  It's a constant pattern of people clamoring for something new, yet when they get something new, they claim it's too weird or too out of the box and don't see it.  This has become so ever-present with Valerian about to be released, and so many people shouting "BOMB!" at it, mocking it, etc. without even thinking, just for one second, to give the movie a chance.

See Valerian.  Pay for it.  Tell your friends about it if you like it.  Do this for the sake of Hollywood and taking risks.  Please.  Valerian isn't just another film to me, it's something special.  It represents one of the last chances for Hollywood to realize risks can succeed.  If it succeeds, more risks are taken in Hollywood.  If it doesn't, and this pattern continues into next year, the year after, etc., we'll be getting the same movies every year.  I just wanted to make this post because so many people have been mocking Valerian for so long and it's disheartening.  I want people to give the movie a chance.

Then they shouldn't have released it the same weekend a visionary director has full creative control on a big tentpole about a little known event in America about WW2. And if that succeeds, it will be enough to show that people want something new from Hollywood. Valerian is in a can't win position thanks to its release date - it won't get the "Watch more original movies" push as that entire online push will go to Dunkirk. And honestly, Dane Dehaan and Cara whatserface are not people you center a 200M original IP on.

Your last para works perfectly for Dunkirk as well

See Dunkirk.  Pay for it.  Tell your friends about it if you like it.  Do this for the sake of Hollywood and taking risks.  Please.  Dunkirk isn't just another film to me, it's something special.  It represents one of the last chances for Hollywood to realize risks can succeed.  If it succeeds, more risks are taken in Hollywood.  If it doesn't, and this pattern continues into next year, the year after, etc., we'll be getting the same movies every year. 

• Like 4

• Community Manager
3 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I don't just want Valerian to do well, I think it NEEDS to do well.  It's the kind of movie that Hollywood rarely makes.  They rarely spend 200M+ on a little known property.  They rarely let a visionary director have full creative control.  They rarely take risks on big budget sci-fi.  Valerian is doing a lot of things that people want to see more of in Hollywood.  How many times have you seen someone on Reddit or something say how Hollywood is out of original ideas and takes no risks...before rejecting the original ideas and risks.  It's a constant pattern of people clamoring for something new, yet when they get something new, they claim it's too weird or too out of the box and don't see it.  This has become so ever-present with Valerian about to be released, and so many people shouting "BOMB!" at it, mocking it, etc. without even thinking, just for one second, to give the movie a chance.

See Valerian.  Pay for it.  Tell your friends about it if you like it.  Do this for the sake of Hollywood and taking risks.  Please.  Valerian isn't just another film to me, it's something special.  It represents one of the last chances for Hollywood to realize risks can succeed.  If it succeeds, more risks are taken in Hollywood.  If it doesn't, and this pattern continues into next year, the year after, etc., we'll be getting the same movies every year.  I just wanted to make this post because so many people have been mocking Valerian for so long and it's disheartening.  I want people to give the movie a chance.

I'd rather Dunkirk perform well. There's been plenty of well-performing original science fiction films released over the last couple of years. But blockbusters aimed more at adults? Hollywood needs more Dunkirks! Right @Telemachos?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Subzero said:

For some reason I don't find her attractive at all, also her acting is not that great either.

For Valerian, I think it would have better traction it they would of gotten better main actor/actress.

Thats just my opinion, although will watch either way. Perhaps I might be wrong after I actually watch the movie.

I feel the same way. I don't see her as leading lady material at all. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

Then they shouldn't have released it the same weekend a visionary director has full creative control on a big tentpole about a little known event in America about WW2. And if that succeeds, it will be enough to show that people want something new from Hollywood. Valerian is in a can't win position thanks to its release date - it won't get the "Watch more original movies" push as that entire online push will go to Dunkirk. And honestly, Dane Dehaan and Cara whatserface are not people you center a 200M original IP on.

this.

also, creativity and budget need not be related. eg: more ex machinas needed in hollywood.

• Like 4

Just now, baumer said:

Oh...and a total stranger comes to town with black goo dripping from his mouth but he is able to make the entire city turn on Batman.....

Look, I've seen BR once.  That was when it first came out.  This is how much I despised it....i still remember some of the stupid shit from it.

Dang, that really sticked to ya didn't it, what a nightmare LOL :rofl:

• Like 1

It's funny that "give more control to directors" would be the takeaway from Valerian being succesfull. Hollywood doesn't work that way. It would be something stupid and surface, like hiring more lead actresses with weird eyebrows or whatever.

• Like 5

I want Dunkirk to do well too, but Valerian is a film that has a higher budget and less inherent drawing power.  If Dunkirk does well, Nolan will make more movies.  There might be a few new WWII movies.  If Valerian does well (like 200M domestic well), then there will be more risky sci-fi/action movies, more bets on high-budget movies, etc.  We might have more than just the same old superhero tentpole breakouts that happen literally every summer.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

but the it's hard to make room for 2 original property in the same week......you can hardly find any weekend in which 2 newcomers both opened above $40m, even there was, one of them were animation, like shrek 2/The day after tmr, frozen/HG:CF, BIH6/interstellar 

It's sad to know that either one of them will flopped, and in this case, valerian is the most likely victim, it's now depend how RT shape their future....

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

I'd rather Dunkirk perform well. There's been plenty of well-performing original science fiction films released over the last couple of years. But blockbusters aimed more at adults? Hollywood needs more Dunkirks! Right @Telemachos?

100% agree. Adults are abandoning the cinema in droves in favour of long form drama series. My dad has reached a point where he thinks every film would be better off if it were a TV series now, even Rogue One! We need to figure out a way of getting these people back in theatre seats. 

• Like 5

• Community Manager
29 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I want Dunkirk to do well too, but Valerian is a film that has a higher budget and less inherent drawing power.  If Dunkirk does well, Nolan will make more movies.  There might be a few new WWII movies.  If Valerian does well (like 200M domestic well), then there will be more risky sci-fi/action movies, more bets on high-budget movies, etc.  We might have more than just the same old superhero tentpole breakouts that happen literally every summer.

Where have you been the last few years? Gravity, Interstellar, The Martian, Passengers, hell even Life....plenty of success stories (and not so succesful stories) the last few years with risky sci-fi/action movies and a lot of them relatively high-budget. And anyways Valerian is a CBM so if you really want a break from old superhero tentpole breakouts, Dunkirk is the answer. :)

• Like 9

44 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I've had guarded hopes for this movie, and I really do hope it is a good one for the reasons you've stated. I saw the 3D trailer when I watched SM:H, and because of the awesome visuals I will see it at least once in 3D.

If it under performs though, I hope that Hollywood takes away the right lessons from it, because it seems that too many times they don't. But I can't throw money at a bad film just because I want Hollywood to keep taking risks, because then they'll learn the wrong lessons and keep making the same mistakes. What Hollywood needs to know is that people will see original movies, if they are done well. This summer is a great example so far, because so many high-budget films (sequels in particular) have fallen flat, and it's not because people are tired of them--it's because the stories are bad. If you want a lot of people to keep spending a lot of money on your movies, you can't keep pushing out crap when there are so many other quality options out there. Studios seem willing to spend money and time on special fx and spectacle, but they really need to up their game on getting good writers and spending more time on the scripts. It blows me away the number of films that have come out in recent years where the script is being written during shooting, or is thrown together in a few weeks in order to get a sequel out, because they just turn out shitty. Hype can get you good OWs, but the legs will be crap. Even if you're lucky and the movie does great numbers in the short run, if your movie's legs are weak, you're sacrificing franchise longevity for short term profits.

All that being said, I really hope Valerian is a good movie. I'm concerned about the leads because in the stuff I've seen so far, there's no chemistry and the performances look meh, but I'm willing to be surprised. If the visuals blow people away but the acting/story are just ok, it might turn into an Avatar lite. As for opening against Dunkirk, for me personally the Dunkirk trailers haven't convinced me that it's a must see yet so I'll wait for the reviews on that on. 

Edited by grimfandango
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Water Bottle said:

Where have you been the last few years? Gravity, Interstellar, The Martian, Passengers, hell even Life....plenty of success stories (and not so succesful stories) the last few years with risky sci-fi/action movies and a lot of them relatively high-budget. And anyways Valerian is a CBM so if you really want a break from old superhero tentpole breakouts, Dunkirk is the answer. :)

Passengers and Life both disappointed, Martian had Oscar buzz, Damon, and Ridley, Interstellar had McConaughey, Nolan, and fantastic marketing, and Gravity had Bullock and fantastic reviews + Oscar buzz.  Not to mention, a lot of these are not what I would consider "action" movies aside from maybe Interstellar.  This doesn't even cover the fact that Valerian costs a lot more than all of these.  Valerian does not have Oscar buzz, nor does it have many recognizable stars/draws.  It is being sold COMPLETELY as a summer blockbuster.  If it does very well, as I've said, more sci-fi/action movies or space opera movies will be greenlit.

As I was saying before I liked A LOT of stuff from SMH, I had a good time and I'll talk more about the stuff I enjoyed in the official thread. That said,  it was formulaic in a number of ways as well which is why a lot of these CBMs are rated fresh and a lot are getting up to over 90% on RT regularly.

I'm a big Fast & Furious fan if you couldn't tell.  Furious 7 was absolute garbage most of the way through.  It still received a fresh grade because it simply "did what it was supposed to do".  

Kinda lame that's what we're stuck with in terms of critical opinion. 

• Like 1