CJohn

Weekend Thread 7/7-7/9 | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SMH 117M, DM3 34M, BD 12.5M, WW 10.1M, TF5 6.3M, Biggus Dickus 3.65

7 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Yes sometimes I think that people are accidentally downplaying the fact that people actually liked the Wonder Woman movie and that's where the word of mouth is coming from. If Wonder Woman were the same quality as Batman v Superman and Suicide Squad there is no way it would be having these legs just because people always wanted to see Wonder Woman. People always wanted to see Batman and Superman together on screen as well and that movie didn't have a 3.8 multiplier.

Eh? What kind of moron would downplay how liked Wonder Woman is? Is the Frozen of the superhero genre... Just keeps chugging along.

Just now, Fancyarcher said:

I'll be surprised if Bumblebee's budget is below 150m, just because of how studios operate. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if Bumblebee didn't get made at this point. 

I think it's currently in production.

Edited by Finnick
  • Like 14

9 minutes ago, AHepBurn said:

So the SM:H OW is looking like to be within most average to above average expectations. I said last week that I don't think SM:H really breaks out big because it just doesn't have the sheer novelty factor to it and these days novelty trumps reviews. There's been a lot of Spider-Man movies. There's been a lot of Marvel movies. The Marvel movies all have around the same range of reviews. Moreover, I just don't think the demographic makeup for SM:H is going to allow it to have a WONDR style run since the latter pulls in an audience that tends to view movies later in runs. I think SM:H will be really successful have the average to above average Marvel movie legs, but WONDR should comfortably remain Queen of the Summer.

I really don't think the next Thor movie hits it big for the same reasons above. I know a lot here are excited for the Black Panther movie and the idea of a predominantly black cape movie does have some novelty, but I don't think the audience and curiosity for that is anywhere as huge as the first big female-led cape as that's targeting 50% of the population. JL I think will do fine because of WONDR spillover and curiosity over Flash (big right now) and Aquaman and the generally solid DC fanbase. I think Aquaman will do above most expectations here as well since there's some proven merit to introducing a character via cameo in a team-up then following up with a solo (Spider-Man in CW, Wonder Woman in BvS).

The big question for myself with these numbers actually concerns RDJ's audience pull right now. This will likely be the first Marvel movie of his that breaks both of his $400mil DOM and $1bil WW streaks. And it's not like SM:H is an outlier, since it has Spider-Man which is arguably Marvel's most popular character. We've seen that while he's largely the primary reason for a Marvel movie to cross $1bil WW, his pull has decreased with each movie over time. I've been really unsure about Avengers: Infinity War matching the success of the first two Avengers movie and with this and GotG2 unable to hit $1bil marks I'm even more confident it doesn't now.

Most Marvel movies, other than say GotG which was a novel concept at the time, just aren't an event right now. I'd argue that it's probably viewed as basically a long-running episodic show. So I guess IW's performance is going to really depend on if it gets the kind of season finale bump some shows get if people see it as the sort of end of an era and Marvel/Disney goes through with essentially retiring some or most of the original cast.

Poor RDJ, Homecoming will be his 7th movie that breaks $300m 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Me waiting for SMH's WOM to kick in this weekend.

3nBf4ZG.gif

The Tomato Law gave it a huge OW as expected. Now it is time for the WOM to get the rest of the job done. 

• Like 4

Cars numbers are so boring.

Go Wonder Woman. Hopefully that 10 million number holds.

And again, ouch  for the Transformers franchise. The Golden Goose looks cooked.

Calm down about Spider-Man's numbers fellow Spider-Man fans. The numbers are good and we do not know what its legs will be like yet.

Edited by Zakiyyah6

I keep telling you Debbie downers to just wait. This movie ain't going to have a shitty 2.3 multiplier like CW or BvS. It has an A CS. I believe that will lead it to at least 350 million dollars domestic.

Star Wars 7:  $149,202,860  -39.8%  4,134         $540,058,914 2

Jurassic World   $106,588,440 -49.0% 4,291  

$402,800,065

57 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

DM 3: $34m, $149.2m total ;4535 theaters!!!!!!!!!!

Related image

I can't help myself to use this meme again when seeing that 4535 record breaking widest release ever count!