CJohn

Weekend Thread 7/7-7/9 | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SMH 117M, DM3 34M, BD 12.5M, WW 10.1M, TF5 6.3M, Biggus Dickus 3.65

1 hour ago, kayumanggi said:

375 OS after an 18m weekend for TF5

Little over 2x more the weekend gives 415 OS total (IDK if it has some markets remaining).

Adding 135 dom gives 550 WW.

edit: could get 50 from remaining os markets for 600+ ww.

China is looking at 227-229 in the end, so OS-China will be just 185-190.

Edited by a2knet

Very good OW for Spidey.  I think that Friday number had us all hoping for 130 but to call this a disappointment or underwhelming is insane.  Sony did a killer job getting the franchise back on track and making a film that will entertain most anyone.  WW officially getting the summer crown has to be one of the most fun BO stories I've had the pleasure of tracking since about '05.

• Like 2

Spidey's North American numbers are huge as well. If 117 million was easy to open with then more Blockbusters would have open with those kinds of numbers this year. Now all it needs are good legs and I think it will get that.

Edited by Zakiyyah6

45 minutes ago, Valerian Over 500M DOM said:

Hehehehehe.

It's like a bad dream.  A nightmare.  Except you can't wake up?  Can you?  When was the last time you had a bad dream, huh?  Did you wake up from it?  Did you forget about it?  That's the fun part about dreamssss: They differ from everyone.  Some people are living nightmares at this very moment :).

CSWeT0zUsAE6Le_.jpg:large

• Like 4

I think 3x and 350 for HC can happen. People are acting like its about to get slaughtered by competition or something. We don't even have another guaranteed 200m+ grosser releasing the rest of the summer. And we only have one that is likely to go over 150. I'd say 320 should at least happen for HC. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, excel1 said:

SMH is still looking at a ridiculous WW gross. Overseas numbers are yuge 

SMH and DM3 are fighting for the global summer crown. Will be fun to watch. I think DM3 has the edge but both could go 900+ (DM3 seems almost assured to).

Thinking,

1. DM3 960
  2. SMH 920
  3. GOTG2 860
  4. WONDR 810
  5. POTC5 780

2 minutes ago, Rman823 said:

Some can make us all look bad. As a fan of both Marvel and DC I get ashamed at some of the back and forth that goes on here. 

I ran out of likes but still. I don't get why anyone would want an opposing CBM to flop. It means people can lose jobs, and hurt the genre as a whole. A bad CBM from Marvel or DC can affect the next one regardless of brand since audiences might get tired. At the end of the day they're just movies. I am glad that the fanboys here aren't a tenth as bad as the ones on IMDB.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, excel1 said:

SMH multipliers across the board are poor, TBH

Ah, well, really just seems to be performing more like Dark Knight, Captain America did in July on their respective OW DOM. Doesn't mean it won't have fine legs. We'll just have to wait and see. And, again, why are you here? You'd said you'd disappear forever if Wonder Woman didn't hit $40M or $45M OD DOM? It didn't. You guaranteed Spider-man Homecoming wouldn't touch $100M+ OW DOM a few days ago?

When the tracking's to your liking, you gloat and leave snide remarks. When it's opens to a healthy $51M OD you vanish. When it dips to $37M you run back into the threads and spew venom. All posts like yours serve to do is to spike conflict and vitriol. When it opened at $50M you literally posted something along the line of "very decent $115M+ OW DOM for Homecoming." And, now, it's "poor multipliers across the board for Homecoming." Give it a rest, man.

Wonder Woman has had a stellar run with $400M+ DOM. Guardians had a fine run as well with close to $390M DOM. Logan did very, very, very well for a Wolverine solo venture with $225M+ DOM. And, from the looks of it, Spidey's likely to have to $300M+ DOM run... As in, a very nice showing at box office. Looking like Ragnarok and Justice League will perform at or above expectations and something like Kingsman will potentially breakout to $200M+ DOM. All's well across the board.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 8

Predictions for next weekend:

Planet of the Apes: 60M

Spider-Man: 58M

Despicable Me 3: 16.5M

The Big Sick: 12M 

Baby Driver: 9M

Wonder Woman: 6.5M

Wish Upon: 5M

Cars 3: 3.1M

Transformers: 2.5M

The House: 1.6M

• Like 3

1 minute ago, PRESIDENT BKB said:

I'll be the 1st to say I'm disappointed considering the Godawful SPIDER-MAN III in 2007 opened to 151M and in 2017, this movie can't even muster that up on top of how good the reviews are, how much of a feel good type of movie this is?? Really??? If that's the case, then the superhero movies grossing 400M Domestic is pretty well never going to happen again if this couldn't get the job done..

lol this is nuts.  Spidey 3 OW makes perfect sense coming off of one of, if not THE most revered superhero movie in the past two decades.  Social media did not have the immediacy it does now and people saw the film expecting a worthy follow up.  The logic you are using here to set the bar for success is crazy.

• Like 3