CJohn

Weekend Thread 7/7-7/9 | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SMH 117M, DM3 34M, BD 12.5M, WW 10.1M, TF5 6.3M, Biggus Dickus 3.65

5 minutes ago, a2knet said:

yeah, i miscalculated by 100m in my earlier post probably cause i couldn't fathom it would struggle to cross 600.

it's on 375m os after an 18m weekend.

say it adds 35m more from current markets.

that takes it to 375+35 = 410m.

135 dom gives 410+135=545 from all current markets.

so needs 55m from all the new markets you listed to get to 600. even if it does that, 625 looks like the ceiling.

And the road ahead won't be kind.

Great start for Spider-Man: Homecoming even if it proved to be quite frontloaded.

Despicable Me 3 held on fine. It's definitely finishing as the lowest grosser in the series but it'll still make a major profit in the end.

Baby Driver continues to mirror This is the End's run, will be interesting to see how close it gets to $100M in the end.

Wonder Woman held on remarkably well despite Spider-Man's arrival. Transformers continues to have no zero power though.

Excellent expansion again for The Big Sick. After seeing the movie, it'll definitely continue to catch on with audiences in expansion.

A Ghost Story's start is OK but it'll likely be a sub-$5M grosser either way.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

Wait, so Spidey beat DM III overseas?

Internationally, Spider-Man debuted in approximately 60% of the overseas marketplace, delivering an estimated $140 million from 56 total markets and a global opening totaling $257 million. Highlights include a $25.8 million five-day opening in South Korea, a $12 million opening in Mexico, an $11.8 million five-day take in the UK, $9.1 million in Brazil, $7.8m in Russia, Australia saw a $7.6 million opening, India saw a $6.5 million debut and Italy delivered $3.1 million. Upcoming markets include openings in France, Germany, Spain, Japan and China.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

Wonder Woman has now cracked the top 10 highest grossing comic book films of all time.

Of Friday openers, it has also officially become the leggiest live action comic book film of the 21st century, and the leggiest $40+ million opening comic book film since Batman '89.

Live Action Comic Book Film Multipliers for $40+ million Openers

^ As of Sunday July 9th estimates

Peace,

Mike

Holy fucking shit!! To say that I am ecstatic about all that my girl has accomplished is an understatement. Fantatstic stats!!!! You go, Wondy!!!! 

Also...this such a beautiful thing to behold!!!

WWdrops.jpg

Thanks again, @MikeQ, for the great posts!!! :D

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rman823 said:

Some can make us all look bad. As a fan of both Marvel and DC I get ashamed at some of the back and forth that goes on here. 

AMEN!  I mean, why choose?  Both make great comics, both make great supers movies, and both drive each other to bigger and better heights.  Without a direct competitor, the "guy at the top" can go stagnant...we are blessed there are 2 behomeths in the comics and comics movie making industry...and we're also blessed that there are some smaller competitors who can take bigger risks and make more edgy material.  It's such a healthy way to get really great product:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

1.2 weekend taking POTC5 to 168.825.

Will touch 170 by next weekend and should reach 172 after the dollar bump.

That's a multi of 2.73x.

Better than 2.68x of POTC4 despite Mem Day Sunday inflating the ow a bit.

Shows how people stayed away due to POTC4 and then probably better reception got some folks back in the theaters.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, a2knet said:

1.2 weekend taking POTC5 to 168.825.

Will touch 170 by next weekend and should reach 172 after the dollar bump.

That's a multi of 2.73x.

Better than 2.68x of POTC4 despite Mem Day Sunday inflating the ow a bit.

Shows how people stayed away due to POTC4 and then probably better reception got some folks back in the theaters.

Nah, there was no hype for this movie and what audience did come in came in a bit slowly. I've seen zero hype for this movie from non Pirates people. Doesn't mean it's actually adjusting up. Its US run mainly looks good by comparison to Transformers 5 at this point.

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I am truly excited to see what's in store for WW's late leg holds now. If its held this well in its early/mid game run, holds could truly get crazy from here on out. Either that, or it will inexplicably start acting "normal." 

I am still shocked that it held so well against hurricane Spidey. It is truly insane to me (but I am super happy)!

Edited by Cochofles

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

Is TF even going to be profitable WW? Talk about a franchise going down in flames. 

Probably not unless it REALLY explodes in Japan. It collapsed in China in Week 2 and I'm sure advertising/Bay backend/Hasbro backend ate up a huge amount of money.

Remember that most of Age of Extinction's big run wasn't "overseas", it was China. In many countries it was even falling by Extinction, it look Last Knight to kill the Chinese audience.