CJohn

Weekend Thread 7/7-7/9 | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SMH 117M, DM3 34M, BD 12.5M, WW 10.1M, TF5 6.3M, Biggus Dickus 3.65

4 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

WW's last battle was a mess and how was WW's villain good? 

For all the (misplaced) crap the MCU gets about it's villains DCEU villains so far have been mediocre (Zod, a shame since Stamp's Zod was great), hideously embarrassingly bad (BvS, SS - a crime) and a dud (WW).

First I was surprised : I had no idea it would be this old guy. Second, it was not a mess : it was furiously impressive!! Exactly the kind of battles I expect from comicbook movie : out of this world, gigantic!! It was perfect to me!!! I really don't know what you're talking about.

And the final battle with Zod was incredible in MoS, exactly what you would expect from 2 god-like aliens!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

Aside from Iron Man 3 and Winter Soldier of course.

Those movies deserve to be put in a museum next to the works of Van Gogh.

Thor should be next to the Mona Lisa since they're both overrated pieces of shit.

Insulting Rembrandt... 

Hot takes have reached a new level of absurdity on this forum.

Neither Wonder Woman or Black Panther is much of a risk. Not many risky endeavors that are Marvel/DC now that superhero genre is essentially in a golden age of profitability.

Risks were taken in visual/narrative storytelling for superhero movies pre-MCU. That's changed.

• Like 2

In my opinion, a movie like Wonder Woman should have been made years ago. But alas it wasn't and we didn't get it until 2017. And for that reason alone, the movie is a risk. Regardless of how big the character is in pop culture, there is a reason why the studio was willing to make twenty million batman's and several superman movies before it. Hell even the GREEN LANTERN got a movie before freaking WONDER WOMAN. Because the studio for some reason saw it as a risk. They didn't think it would be worth their investment. 

The MCU and Wonder Woman were/are considered risky in their own ways. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

Lol, it's started. A female superhero helmed by a female director was never a risk. That's why studios were making them in abundance. Ugh.

It was Wonder Woman. 

She must have been at least in the top 5 of most recognisable superheroes for decades. Did Wonder Woman just stop being a recognisable character for a while? 

With all these superhero movies making bank and DC launching a Universe, why is Wonder Woman being made supposed to be a risk? It did well critically and its overperformance is great, but it's still Wonder Woman, everyone and their grandmother knows this character.

A Storm movie is a risk, Silver and Black is a risk, Spider-Woman is a risk.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AJG said:

It was Wonder Woman. 

She must have been at least in the top 5 of most recognisable superheroes for decades. Did Wonder Woman just stop being a recognisable character for a while? 

With all these superhero movies making bank and DC launching a Universe, why is Wonder Woman being made supposed to be a risk? It did well critically and its overperformance is great, but it's still Wonder Woman, everyone and their grandmother knows this character.

A Storm movie is a risk, Silver and Black is a risk, Spider-Woman is a risk.

Then how black panther is any risk when we know it's gonna be financially successful?

9 minutes ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

Lol, it's started. A female superhero helmed by a female director was never a risk. That's why studios were making them in abundance. Ugh.

What are you implying by this, that it is inherently more risky to put a large budget in the hands of a woman director than a male one ? I doubt you are.

4 minutes ago, FilmBuff said:

Can we get some moderation? Don't want to read through another horseshit Marvel/DC franchise discussion. 

21 minutes ago, FilmBuff said:

Made for tv? What the fyck does that even mean? Shut up Ethan, grown ups are talking.

49 minutes ago, FilmBuff said:

'Not taking creative risks?' Now I know a lot of you have your heads stuck in the sand. That's okay, I didn't really expect to change any opinions on here.

1 hour ago, FilmBuff said:

I find it interesting people accuse marvel of not taking risks/gambles. 

Wasnt Gotg a risk?

Wasnt Thor a risk?

Wasnt Doctor Strange a risk?

Wasnt Antman a risk?

What marvel did with these properties and the 'acclaim' they get is incredible. Jmo

1 hour ago, FilmBuff said:

As a marvel fanboy I've rewatched BvS more than CW, but that's bc it's on hbo every night and there's nothing else on.

5 minutes ago, FilmBuff said:

Can we get some moderation? Don't want to read through another horseshit Marvel/DC franchise discussion. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FilmBuff said:

@grim22

@Telemachos

@baumer

This isn't even a Marvel vs DC discussion. Folks are simply discussing the different super hero movies in terms of riskiness, how the different universes look in terms of style etc 

• Like 4

Just now, Barnack said:

What are you implying by this, that it is inherently more risky to put a large budget in the hands of a woman director than a male one ? I doubt you are.

Nah. he said WW is not a risky while black panther is. Both are seen as risky for same reason. A belief that film non-white male lead will not make block buster money. It doesn't matter it is right or not, studio believe this. If a studio tries first with that it's a risk for that studio. I don't think putting a large budget in female director hands is risky, studios does. That's why it's risky for that studio.