CJohn

Weekend Thread 7/7-7/9 | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SMH 117M, DM3 34M, BD 12.5M, WW 10.1M, TF5 6.3M, Biggus Dickus 3.65

2 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

Looking at past Marvel July releases, The First Avenger did a 2.71x, and Ant-Man had a 3.15x. I think SMH is pretty safe to land within that range, which would mean anywhere from 317m to 368m total if we're talking about a 117m OW. With summer weekdays in full force, under 300 would basically mean a Man of Steel kind of run and that's just not happening.  

Ant-Man and First Avenger had much smaller OWs, weren't OD frontloaded and were the first in their respective franchises.  It's definitely no guarantee for SMH to have those kind of legs, especially since both of those movies were well-liked as well.

• Like 1

The Force Awakens was absolutely female led. It's silly to claim otherwise. It's Star Wars though, a gerbil could have been the lead and it would have made a crap ton of money.

Still it is the highest grossing movie starring a woman in North America.

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 6

9 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Maybe not though. I mean the OS audience have still been there for movies like Jack Reacher 2, Oblivion, and Knight and Day. He just has real star power draw OS, no question about it. 

But the OS box office has vastly improved. How is that not a good sign? :depp:

6 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

force awakens was never a female-led movie to me, rey was not as centrical as diana and katniss, SW7 was more like ensemble cast....

rogue one, not really an origin story, but indeed is a female-led

Although, technically, yes, they are female led, I have always had a "weird" (not 'hard')  time seeing RO and TFA as "female-led hits." Not only because I doubt that many people went to see the film just because they starred women, but because Star Wars is Star Wars. Audiences watch SW no matter what. It is just a whole different level of blockbuster and brand. Katniss and Diana definitely were central to their films drawing power (not the only reason, because of course the DCEU and a huge YA novel were also factors), but I just kind of go, "huh...interesting! whenever someone says, "TFA is the biggest action heroine film of all time." It is what it is, of course...

Edited by Cochofles
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

http://deadline.com/2017/07/spider-man-homecoming-box-office-opening-1202124834/

The Big Sick is going into 2,500+ theaters next weekend. 12M might be too low :jeb!: 

The Big Dick is really expanding into theaters.  I wonder how hard it'll hurt War for the Planet of the Apes.  I imagine it might penetrate into the film's weekend grosses.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

Star Wars 7:  $149,202,860  -39.8%  4,134         $540,058,914 2

Jurassic World   $106,588,440 -49.0% 4,291  

$402,800,065

DM 3: $34m, $149.2m total ;4535 theaters!!!!!!!!!!

Related image

I can't help myself to use this meme again when seeing that 4535 record breaking widest release ever count!

You Nailed it .... :rofl: .. its a record nonetheless..

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

B/c you don't need to watch any other movie to enjoy this one...it's a "1st movie" for this cast and character...so, a "1st" movie multiple should be more realistic...

Yeah it's not a direct sequel like those other movies.

It's not a sequel at all.

It's like calling Batman Begins, "Batman 5".

4 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

Why do so many people seem to gleefully enjoy when a franchise seems to be on its last legs commercially?  I don't mean here at BOT necessarily, but all over the net and across plenty of message boards, the schadenfreude  seems massive. I mean...how does it bother you that a film series that you don't enjoy continues making money? And why is it joyful to see said franchise stumble commercially?  People love hyperbolic statements like "Nobody gives a shit about those crappy Transformers movies anymore" and "Audiences have finally turned their backs on Pirates ; yay!!," but seriously, unless those films suddenly make 0 dollars, they still have fans that enjoy them and look forward to more stories. Is it because there is something inherently "wrong" about making blockbusters that critics don't like but a large segment of the public enjoys? I am still more meh  than anything else in regard to most of the stuff released by the MCU, but I have a hard time imagining myself actually enjoying if they suddenly started to get RT scores of under 30 % and diminishing returns at the box office. I would simply be...indifferent, I guess.  

I think many people are upset that an uncreative movie series like Transformers makes billions of dollars while other franchises or movies that deserve more money because they are better films are doing less.

I personally dont really care but i can understand the logic. I would also rather see a Masterpiece like Dawn of the Planet of the Apes winning the summer cown (in this case WW) and not Transformers 4 (in 2014). 

28 minutes ago, baumer said:

This is a 6th Spiderman. Why would you not use a multiplier from a film like Iron Man 3 or Winter Soldier or Guardians of the Galaxy part 2?

While there's merit to what you've said, Batman Begin was the 5th Batman movie in 16 years and it still managed a 2.8 multiplier from it's opening 5 day. Had it rolled out on a Friday, it would have easily eclipsed at 3.0 multiplier.

Not to mention, Iron Man 3, Winter Soldier and Guardians Vol. 2 didn't have summer days until later in their runs. In the case of Winter Soldier, it didn't have them at all.

Should Homecoming have Winter Soldier/Guardians Vol. 2 legs, it would finish with between $310M and $320M DOM. Not unreasonable. I have a slightly better multiplier for Spidey Homecoming that will be somewhere between First Avenger (2.72) and Ant-Man (3.16). I based on those two because they are the only other Marvel Studios flicks that debuted in July this late in the summer not named Guardians Vol. 1. I exclused Guardians Vol. 1 because, until Homecoming demonstrates otherwise, I don't see those kind of legs as remotely realistic.

Now, I've shifted my hopes for Homecoming "over Spider-man 3 unadjusted DOM ($336.5M)." Not an easy task but a realistic goal.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

Why do so many people seem to gleefully enjoy when a franchise seems to be on its last legs commercially?  I don't mean here at BOT necessarily, but all over the net and across plenty of message boards, the schadenfreude  seems massive. I mean...how does it bother you that a film series that you don't enjoy continues making money? And why is it joyful to see said franchise stumble commercially?  People love hyperbolic statements like "Nobody gives a shit about those crappy Transformers movies anymore" and "Audiences have finally turned their backs on Pirates ; yay!!," but seriously, unless those films suddenly make 0 dollars, they still have fans that enjoy them and look forward to more stories. Is it because there is something inherently "wrong" about making blockbusters that critics don't like but a large segment of the public enjoys? I am still more meh  than anything else in regard to most of the stuff released by the MCU, but I have a hard time imagining myself actually enjoying if they suddenly started to get RT scores of under 30 % and diminishing returns at the box office. I would simply be...indifferent, I guess.  

Pretty strange isn't it. There are franchises i don't like but I don't get angry that they are being made

Edited by John Marston

2 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

Although, technically, yes, they are female led, I have always had a "weird" (not 'hard')  time seeing RO and TFA as "female-led hits." Not only because I doubt that many people went to see the film just because they starred women, but because Star Wars is Star Wars. Audiences watch SW no matter what. It is just a whole different level of blockbuster and brand. Katniss and Diana definitely were central to their films drawing power (not the only reason, because of course the DCEU and a huge YA novel were also factors), but I just kind of go, "huh...interesting! whenever someone says, "TFA is the biggest action heroine film of all time." It is what it is, of course...

Nobody saw movies like Hunger Games or Twilight just because they started women.  Nobody is saying they don't count as female led.

Female led Movie simply means the lead is a female, the argument prior to this were that leading men were bigger draws, obviously that's not true.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

The Big Dick is really expanding into theaters.  I wonder how hard it'll hurt War for the Planet of the Apes.  I imagine it might penetrate into the film's weekend grosses.

I like where you are going with this conversation. Don't pull out now...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rman823 said:

I'm happy with both Homecoming and WW's numbers. The fact that both are thriving at the same time makes the CBM fan in me very happy.

AGreed. Although SMH is a little lower than anticipated, but good nonetheless.

WW is just extraordinary ... my god that hold. Looks like SMH didn't affect much, hold across the board looks pretty good.