Finnick

Monday numbers: SMH: 12.2M, DM3 4.3M, BD 1.67M, WW 1.18M Today, we celebrate our MOEDAY

7 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i didn't like holland in it. i think the character was just annoying to me. like he's whining at his dad ten seconds after the dude finds out he's been blinded. give your old man a break you little asshole.

Fair. That was very, very shit of him to do to his father.

7 minutes ago, AndyK said:

The upside down kiss was a movie moment that the MCU has never been able to match.

The cultural landscape is far more dense now.

It's hard to have a single moment everyone obsesses over for months.

Nowadays the upside down kiss would be a meme or gif that people got bored of after a week.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I always get confused... Do things like Ghost World, American Splendor, History Of Violence, V For Vendetta, Persepolis, Snowpiercer, Ghost in the Shell, Akira, The Crow, Sin City, Dredd, Oldboy, etc. count? Can they be included?

I guess The Rocketeer would be on my list too as well as Men in Black and a few others.

For superhero movie rankings? No.

For comic book movie rankings? Yes.

35 minutes ago, miketheavenger said:

Transformers once again the only movie in the Top 20 that fell 60%+. Man, that movie just died after OW. Will probably join Alien: Covenant and The Mummy as the most frontloaded blockbuster this summer.

Transformers is just profusely bleeding audience. I still think it's funny that even though the international numbers are still huge that they have gone down significantly from the last movie. This one truly is the end of the line for the Bay Transformers I think.

6 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

For superhero movie rankings? No.

For comic book movie rankings? Yes.

Okay, so The Incredibles and Darkman then are counted?

I get confused because folks get annoyed when it's not based on something and/or when it's based on something and not a superhero CBM. So... It's actually that people rank some awkward sub-genre that is "best superhero comic book movies" because most would rather not include other comic books that aren't superhero because such adaptations like History Of Violence and many others are far more complex, compelling and challenging than the average superhero comic book movie adaptation. And, the same applies to not wanting to include a superhero flick like Incredibles or Darkman that is not beholden to any source material.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

3 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Okay, so The Incredibles and Darkman then are counted?

I get confused because folks get annoyed when it's not based on something and/or when it's based on something and not a superhero CBM. So... It's actually that people ranks some awkward sub-genre that is "best superhero comic book movies" because most would rather not include other comic books that aren't superhero because such adaptations like History Of Violence and many others are far more complex, compelling and challenging than the average superhero comic book movie adaptation.

People should be specific.

Marvel/DC ranking - Marvel and DC characters only.

Superhero ranking - Any movie with a superhero, even ones not based on a comic (ex. Hancock, Darkman).

CBM ranking - Any movie based on a comic book or graphic novel (ex. History of Violence, Men in Black, Road to Perdition)

• Like 1

This summer must have been really slow that average films got mad praise. WonderWoman, well deserved. But for the life of me I don't get the love for Baby Driver, uninspiring car chases, cartoon characters. Do we dish out good reviews just for a cool soundtrack?

Also got excited to see Spidey and got a very generic film back. Some good moments and sure improvement from TASM, but far from the event that the Tobey-films were. Expecting it to do 320m+. First Monday is slightly below MoS..

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

This summer must have been really slow that average films got mad praise. WonderWoman, well deserved. But for the life of me I don't get the love for Baby Driver, uninspiring car chases, cartoon characters. Do we dish out good reviews just for a cool soundtrack?

Also got excited to see Spidey and got a very generic film back. Some good moments and sure improvement from TASM, but far from the event that the Tobey-films were. Expecting it to do 320m+. First Monday is slightly below MoS..

You do realize how silly this post comes across, no? Someone could just as easily type the same thing and swap any of the titles you listed with another. The movies got good reviews because the critics that reviewed them really enjoyed them. It's pretty simple.

• Like 2

My top movies of 2017 so far 

Logan 90/100
Split 83/100
Wonder Woman 82/100
Spider-Man: Homecoming 80/100
John Wick: Chapter 2 77/100

Comic Book Movies galore! Might get shuffled as I rewatch movies, and of course, watch new ones.

Among released ones, Get Out is on my radar, and so are Your Name, Baby Driver, and Bon Cop Bad Cop 2 (local Quebec movie)

Looking forward to, among others,

Valerian

Dunkirk

Bladerunner 2049

Thor Ragnarok

Justice League

The Last Jedi

like just about everybody else :ph34r: As usual, the more obscure movies will pop randomly as the year progresses further.

32 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Best of 2017...

1) Spider-man Homecoming

2) Guardians of the Galaxy

3) Logan

4) Alien Covenant 

5) Get Out

Looking forward to Apes, Valerian, Thor 3 and Last Jedi.

Hmm. Not sure. Most memorable for me in no particular order so far would be I Don't Feel At Home In This World Anymore, Okja, Guardians Vol. 2, Get Out, The Void, Cure For Wellness, The Girl With All Of The Gifts, Blackcoat's Daughter, Lost City Of Z, Prevenge, Free Fire, Baby Driver and Colossal. Ah, just saw Transfiguration... Pretty great too. Still gotta get on The Lure, Raw, Big Sick and a few others that are already out there.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 1

2017 ranked:

1. Baby Driver
  2. Get Out
  3. It Comes at Night
  4. Alien: Covenant
  5. John Wick: Chapter 2
  6. Logan
  7. Split
  8. Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2
  9. Gifted
  10. The Fate of the Furious
  11. Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie
  12. The Discovery
  13. Ghost in the Shell
  14. Life
  15. Spider-Man: Homecoming
  16. The LEGO Batman Movie
  17. The Boss Baby
  18. Kong: Skull Island
  19. Cars 3
  20. The Mummy
  21. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales
  22. Beauty and the Beast
  23. Wonder Woman
  24. 47 Meters Down
  25. Baywatch
  26. I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore
  27. Power Rangers
  28. King Arthur: Legend of the Sword
  29. Raw
  30. The Circle
  31. Transformers: The Last Knight
  • Like 1

• Community Manager
6 hours ago, baumer said:

But it's obviously not going to follow your pattern there buddy. There's no reason for it to drop 50% this weekend when a film that open with 117 million couldn't even stop it from dropping less than 40%.

I wonder how many people did a superhero movie day: WW and SMH.

• Like 1