CoolioD1

Once Upon a Time in... Hollywood | July 26 2019 | Digital Foot Technology | RIP Cinerama Dome

4 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

that's exactly what makes it a risk. i'm just disputing THR's claim that he's a risk taker. what's risky about brand management like that?

I also think he wants to keep dating 25 year old supermodels, which is easier when you only star in big successful movies.

• Haha 1

I'm crossing my fingers for $40M+ on OW. How likely is that at this point? I know for a movie like this tracking isn't very useful so it really comes down to good ole' fashioned predictions.

What are your thoughts @Porthos?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cannastop said:

What and tarnish his brand?

No way he gets less than $30m every movie.

I like Leo, but he does not seem like the type who will take minimum scale to do a small indie film, or pass up a lucrative film to do a much less lucrative stage play.

23 minutes ago, JB33 said:

I'm crossing my fingers for $40M+ on OW. How likely is that at this point? I know for a movie like this tracking isn't very useful so it really comes down to good ole' fashioned predictions.

What are your thoughts @Porthos?

Almost none, I'm afraid. :)  

I can say I haven't given too much thought to a concrete number, but I do think there's something of a case to be made for folks over-predicting it.  Partially out of liking Tarantino's back catalogue as well as hoping for something a bit different than the last few months.  Not so much wishcasting, but close to it.

My main problem is that that what the movie has been pitched as (70s actors running around during the Charles Manson happenings) isn't exactly something that screams "Wow, I want to watch THAT this weekend".

(and, yes, I phrased my statement very judiciously, thanks)

That being said, depending on how folks react, it could be buzzy.  But I think it'll most show up post-OW.  

Could even see it as early as Sat/Sun, though I tend to think any buzz would really start showing up on Tue.

Could also go the other way, of course.

=====

I realize this isn't what you were looking for, but I really don't do OW guesses anyway. Especially on films I don't actively track. :lol:  

Remember, I am far from an expert on this board. I'll defer to others on that part. :)

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Barnack said:

One would think the same for a Scorsese release and yet.....

That's a case of studios not wanting to shell out 150 mil for Irishman's effects. Unless you mean Silence, but that's a different story altogether. 

22 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

That's a case of studios not wanting to shell out 150 mil for Irishman's effects. Unless you mean Silence, but that's a different story altogether. 

Silence, Kundun, Age of Innocence, etc...

If you are an adult and love movies, wtf are you doing not getting yourself out of the house watching any latest Scorsese release blindly ?

I imagine people that "love movies" in the sentiment used in that sentence, do so, that indicate there is just not that many of such people.

2 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

the revenant's budget ballooned through reshoots tho it wasn't gonna be that big when he signed on and we'll just have to agree to disagree on the riskiness of Wolf. i just always see leo as an actor who plays it safe. none of his selections ever surprise me. i don't think any of those movies failing would hurt his station he's still exclusively working with the a-list filmmakers. like i said he doesn't have to change his methods it works for him but working with an up-and-comer, helping them get a bigger budget project funded w/ his star power, would be a genuine risk.

Where are these up and comers with ambitious projects worthy of turning down a Scorsese, Tarantino, Nolan, Spielberg, etc.?  I don't understand this whole "taking risks" thing.  Shouldn't career advancement be about appearing in the best stuff you can possibly get into?  Why would you randomly eschew that to give some newbie director a bigger budget?  Did they write the greatest script in cinema history or something?  The reality of the industry is...there isn't much great talent around director-wise, so you have to fight for every opportunity, even as an A-lister.  DiCaprio understood that from a young age, and didn't falter once he was a made man.  Call that not taking risks, I call that being not a dumbass and possibly cultivating the most impressive career in the medium.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Almost none, I'm afraid. :)  

I can say I haven't given too much thought to a concrete number, but I do think there's something of a case to be made for folks over-predicting it.  Partially out of liking Tarantino's back catalogue as well as hoping for something a bit different than the last few months.  Not so much wishcasting, but close to it.

My main problem is that that what the movie has been pitched as (70s actors running around during the Charles Manson happenings) isn't exactly something that screams "Wow, I want to watch THAT this weekend".

(and, yes, I phrased my statement very judiciously, thanks)

That being said, depending on how folks react, it could be buzzy.  But I think it'll most show up post-OW.  

Could even see it as early as Sat/Sun, though I tend to think any buzz would really start showing up on Tue.

Could also go the other way, of course.

=====

I realize this isn't what you were looking for, but I really don't do OW guesses anyway. Especially on films I don't actively track. :lol:  

Remember, I am far from an expert on this board. I'll defer to others on that part. :)

No worries. This post reads as your thoughts, which is exactly what I was looking for. Like I said in my last post, and as you said, this isn't a film any of us are tracking so it comes down to more of a "What do you predict?".

If it's indeed a smaller opening weekend but leggy, I'll take it.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Barnack said:

If you are an adult and love movies, wtf are you doing not getting yourself out of the house watching any latest Scorsese release blindly ?

I imagine people that "love movies" in the sentiment used in that sentence, do so, that indicate there is just not that many of such people.

Probably because those movies are not intriguing to those people 

On the one hand....

https://variety.com/2019/film/opinion/quentin-tarantino-films-ranked-pulp-fiction-once-upon-a-time-hollywood-1203274226/

The capsule review in that list/article isn't doing a lot to raise my anticipation levels, although I'm still definitely going to watch this film... but on the other hand.... their ranking of Tarantino's films (Once Upon a Time... included) is very bad. 

36 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i didn't say he needs to take risks i just said he doesn't take risks. AGAIN, i'm not managing his career here. just pointing it out. 

What's an example of a risk someone took that you think won big?  I'd like to examine that.

If you're defining risk-taking as choosing projects that may or may not appeal to Joe Schmo moviegoer, then Dicaprio does that nearly every time and comes out successful anyway.

If you define risk-taking as choosing projects from unreliable or unproven filmmakers i.e. could be good, could be bad...well, it's pretty dumb if you think that's something to aspire to. 

Just now, filmlover said:

I read that HR piece about Leo and the biggest takeaway for me was that the crew during the making of this movie was apparently told not to make eye contact with him. Huh.

That's a first, so it must've been for the role or something. 

7 hours ago, maxalcamo said:

R.I.P to all the Chris WHOS in the marvel movies

Leonardo DiCaprio is the only global superstar left in a film industry in which an interchangeable group of actors suit up in spandex or brandish a lightsaber for the latest billion-dollar earner. Here's my deep dive on his career.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/how-leonardo-dicaprio-became-hollywoods-last-movie-star-1225416

Poor Denzel, one Roman J Israel Esq on your resume and suddenly you're as local as Kevin Hart (of course Leo is the biggest box office superstar around, this headline is less egregious than the time they did this sort of story about George Clooney back when Will Smith was killing it at the box office).

Saw the responses to this story on Twitter, there were slams on Leo because he hasn't worked with a female director in 20 years. A thing like that won't hurt this movie's box office, I do wonder if/when his dating tendencies will start to turn off women 40+ at a certain point. Leo is not doing anything illegal, he's not a Weinstein, he likes what he likes, it's a free country, but his PR people are probably thinking, "Can't he at least bump it up to 29 year olds?"

https://www.maxim.com/entertainment/viral-graph-leonardo-dicaprio-doesnt-date-women-25-over-2019-4

53 minutes ago, Jeriosnal said:

Where are these up and comers with ambitious projects worthy of turning down a Scorsese, Tarantino, Nolan, Spielberg, etc.?  I don't understand this whole "taking risks" thing.  Shouldn't career advancement be about appearing in the best stuff you can possibly get into?  Why would you randomly eschew that to give some newbie director a bigger budget?  Did they write the greatest script in cinema history or something?  The reality of the industry is...there isn't much great talent around director-wise, so you have to fight for every opportunity, even as an A-lister.  DiCaprio understood that from a young age, and didn't falter once he was a made man.  Call that not taking risks, I call that being not a dumbass and possibly cultivating the most impressive career in the medium.  

At one point when Eastwood was still supposed to direct A Star Is Born, Leo was attached. A role like that still would have been a prestige studio movie with a big-name director, but definitely very different from the norm for him. Wolf of Wall Street was a dark comedy, this one has comedic elements as well but it's still an Oscar hopeful. On one hand, if you're in position to work with the best of the best why wouldn't you, but flip to TCM and it's not just "important" or "worthy" movies that end up being considered classics, many types of movies are represented. I'd love to see him in something that's just fun or sexy, a thriller/horror turn or something totally WTF. 

I get what people mean when they say that they feel DiCaprio doesn't take risks. Taking risks can mean falling on your face but sticking to the same old thing too often can lead to a movie star falling into a rut. It's nearly imperceptible at the start, but has its roots in a celeb being too wedded to a certain image that eventually gets old for audiences.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I mean, I guess maybe it's possible to not be a big fan of Scorsese? Especially his later work.

46 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i didn't say he needs to take risks i just said he doesn't take risks. AGAIN, i'm not managing his career here. just pointing it out. 

His career management is impeccable, really. A slightly more prolific Daniel Day-Lewis.