franfar

Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga (yes that's the subtitle) | May 24, 2024 | Anya Taylor-Joy is Furiosa + Chris Hemsworth

2 hours ago, Squire said:

Dune Part 2 has 62 critic reviews compared to Furiosa’s 34, so I wouldn’t get too cocky. IIRC, Dune’s score was in the mid to low 80s at one point until a few bad scores came in a few days before release (including that bizarre Boston Globe review that gave it a bad score because it had a white savior narrative!). 

Not really, Dune was at exactly 80 at the same point, then it dropped to 79

It never reached mid 80’s 

Furiosa can still drop to 79 or so as well to be fair, but it’s likely to ended up with 81 at this point

Posted (edited)
On 5/18/2024 at 1:16 AM, JustLurking said:

It is bad. There are some solid stunts here and there but the script is abysmal, the photography is terrible (and I don't mean it in a "it's 1979 kind of way": its sequel came out 2 years later but feels 30 years later), Most of the performances are also pretty weak and most of the film is plain mundane, might be the least post-apocalyptic post-apocalyptic film I've ever seen. A bunch of the runtime is spent on max going on vacation with his family ffs lmao.

It's hard to defend it even as a product of its time when its own sequel a mere 2 years later trounces it in every way possible. I'm sorry to hear you didn't enjoy Fury Road, but this film ain't it.

I mean the first Mad Max isn't a post apocalypse film though, it's pre-apocalypse, a society teetering on the edge but still clinging on to what they can. The biggest issue facing the OG these days is the franchise association, because it's very much it's own thing. Had the sequels not existed, in a bubble it's just a great Ozploitation flick.

Edited by TheDude391

Posted (edited)

wasn't planning on seeing this until I saw the trailer in theaters, completely different experience to watching it on a laptop

Edited by interiorgatordecorator
  • Like 9

2 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

Action and music are great. It just looks really ugly. The foreground doesn’t blend with the background. The humans and real props don’t blend with the CG. It’s not the best but I’ll live.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2024 at 10:09 PM, Ryan Reynolds said:

not the most exciting film , but it isn't bad. i was bored for most of Fury Road, Charlize is maybe the only reason to watch and cool visuals that get old very quick

First Mad Max is more of a  biker film then a post apoc epid.

IMHO the Franchise did not really get properly started until 'Road Warrior".

• Like 1

Unpopular opinion but I'm digging the visuals of this one. It's very distinct from other Hollywood tentpoles and it gives me a Twisted Metal/videogame-ish vibe which suits the apocalyptic nature of Mad Max well.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Asyulus said:

Unpopular opinion but I'm digging the visuals of this one. It's very distinct from other Hollywood tentpoles and it gives me a Twisted Metal/videogame-ish vibe which suits the apocalyptic nature of Mad Max well.

Honestly I do not understand the complaints. I did my rewatch of Fury Road the other night and there is a ton of noticeable CG in that too. And people basing it on watching clips on their phone or computer is silly.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Budget: $168m via Deadline

More than Fury Road. Wonder if they’re expecting to make more than it’s $380m worldwide total. 

We’ll see. I think it has a good chance to do better domestically (maybe around $160-180M?), but international is a real wild card. Fury Road didn’t really do great overseas when it came out. 

9 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Didn't they get a ton of incentives from Australia?

Yeah I would've thought the budget would've gotten down lower considering the massive tax incentives it got. Shame. 

I just hope it can double that budget. That may be enough for George Miller to get one more Mad Max movie

14 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Didn't they get a ton of incentives from Australia?

Deadline didn’t mention it, maybe they’re already deducted. 

4 minutes ago, Pinacolada said:

Yeah I would've thought the budget would've gotten down lower considering the massive tax incentives it got. Shame. 

I just hope it can double that budget. That may be enough for George Miller to get one more Mad Max movie

Yeh I think they would if it does double. The last film made 2.5x its budget. Took 9 years but here we are. 

Seeing it on Friday in IMAX. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Squire said:

We’ll see. I think it has a good chance to do better domestically (maybe around $160-180M?), but international is a real wild card. Fury Road didn’t really do great overseas when it came out. 

I really enjoyed Fury Road but people act it was some massive blockbuster, it was'nt. It was a sucessful film (otherwise it would not have gotten a follow up) but not a huge hit.

3 hours ago, dudalb said:

I really enjoyed Fury Road but people act it was some massive blockbuster, it was'nt. It was a sucessful film (otherwise it would not have gotten a follow up) but not a huge hit.

I think mostly people were surprised such a bizarre movie like Fury Road had as much success as it did. Not sure many actually believe it was a massive hit.

Honestly, based on presales on tracking thread i feel this will be closer to 55M than 40M for 4-day  on States

Let’s see OS, deadline is usually off with their early predictions for foreign countries. If they said 40-45, it can easily ended up with 55-60. 

Anyway, i’m expecting a global OW in 105–115M range. Fury Road did 109. 

Worse legs are expected but maybe not by much, i think 320-350M is probably achievable, which is a similar performance to Fury Road and probably enough to made the next one.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Squire said:

31 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Honestly, based on presales on tracking thread i feel this will be closer to 55M than 40M for 4-day  on States

Let’s see OS, deadline is usually off with their early predictions for foreign countries. If they said 40-45, it can easily ended up with 55-60. 

Anyway, i’m expecting a global OW in 105–115M range. Fury Road did 109. 

Worse legs are expected but maybe not by much, i think 320-350M is probably achievable, which is a similar performance to Fury Road and probably enough to made the next one.

These numbers sound insane to me???