WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 150): Apes 56.3M | SMH 44.2M | DM3 19.4M | Baby 8.7M | Big Dick 7.5M | WW 6.8M | Wish Upon 5.5M | Tomatoes losing their power

Dawn did 17.7x the previews. If War does 12x, due to more front-loading (both as a sequel to Dawn and over 3-years of how previews have gotten more prominent) then it gets to 60.

WAR   5.0 + 20.0 (4.0x) + 20.80 (+4%) + 15.70 (-24.5%) = 61.5 ow (12.3x the previews) and 25 od (5.0x the previews)

DAWN 4.1 + 23.55 (5.7x) + 25.50 (+8.3%) + 19.47 (-23.7%) = 72.6 ow (17.7x the previews) and 27.65 od (6.74x the previews)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

Sorry but you watched some of the mediocore shows there with netflix marvel. They do last 4 episodes too long.

I know, but I'm an all supers fan...so I try to watch most of the good attempts on tv...(and even some of the bad ones)...that way, they keep making more and hopefully, keep getting better at it:)...

• Like 1

I liked Jessica Jones and Daredevil (I tried Luke Cage and Iron Fist but stopped after a few episodes), but they were both weakened by their length.  Both of them could have been much better than they were if they had maybe 8-9 episodes.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I will say this... If I binge a television show, I probably only find it passable or like but don't love it. If I see something that I love, I'll take in an episode a day or every day to because I'll feel what I've seen is awesome enough to mull over for 24 to 48 hours before diving into the next chapter. Binge worthy to me simply means respectable fast food. Heavy consumption in a short period time with little digestion required.

That's how I binge:)...it took me 3 weeks to finish Daredevil Season 2...but mine is b/c of kids and limited tv availability, not lack of desire to sit for 4-5 episodes in a row.  It does give a little better perspective of how it's meant to be watched and you can think a little on each episode before diving right in...

I watched Luke Cage episode 1 on Tuesday and am not diving in for episode 2 til this weekend:)...but, I'm gonna finish it and Iron Fist before tv season starts in late Sept - that's my goal so I can do Defenders at Christmas:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, superduperm said:

I'm thinking right on par with Dawn's OD. A bit of a shame because I was hoping for $30M

It might wind up closer to Rise than Dawn with the previews starting at 7pm vs 10pm

Wolverine 2 had a 13.3 multi in the summer off $4m previews starting at 10pm vs Logan in March with a 9.3x with 7pm previews

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, A Panda of Ice and Fire said:

I liked Jessica Jones and Daredevil (I tried Luke Cage and Iron Fist but stopped after a few episodes), but they were both weakened by their length.  Both of them could have been much better than they were if they had maybe 8-9 episodes.

I don't know...I found Luke Cage's 1st episode compelling and such a fresh difference from all my other supers show viewing...gives me hope that they can have a totally different vibe and show concept and yet still be compelling supers tv:)...I loved all the characters introductions!  Now to see if the momentum and quality stay:)...

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, A Panda of Ice and Fire said:

Yeah, agree here. The major problem is it feels the middle of their seasons always have more "filler" stuff. 

They could do it like Stranger Things, which felt like a very tight show with less episodes than the Netflix Marvel ones.

I found Iron Fist to be surprisingly mediocre. Luke Cage was great till the second half. 

• Like 5

Seems solid enough for Apes. Hopefully it has a solid internal multiplier and it's not frontloaded (but I'm worried that the Popcorn Law may make a victim, since general audiences may be expecting an action extravaganza and apparently that's not what the movie is... but I could be wrong).

Anyway, the current top 10 of the Summer 2017:

01. Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2 - 386M

02. Wonder Woman - 372.6M

03. Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales - 169.4M

04. Despicable Me 3 - 164.5M

05. Spider-Man: Homecoming - 154.2M

06. Cars 3 - 136.1M

07. Transformers: The Last Knight - 121.5M

08. The Mummy - 78.5M

09. Alien: Covenant - 73.9M

10. Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie - 70.7M

TOTAL - 1.727.4B

It's absolutely fascinating and mindblowing that Wonder Woman is all but a few weeks away from overtaking GOTG V2. Never in a million years thought that would be possible. For the 3rd year in a row, a massive, four-quadrant tentpole from June overperforms and takes the mantle of #1 of the Summer over the May Marvel release. Unbelievable.

Apes should break into the list if it makes the higher end of expectations (which is a possibility, but a slim one). Baby Driver also could break into the list with another amazing hold and bring Captain Underpants down, though, and even if Apes tries to push it out again by Tuesday or Wednesday, it'll probably also beat Covfefe by that time.

In comparision, the 2016 top 10 up until this point (July 13th... technically today is the 14th, but no Friday numbers yet):

01. Finding Dory - 431.9M

02. Captain America: Civil War - 406.4M

03. X-Men: Apocalypse - 154.7M

04. The Secret Life Of Pets - 142.2M

05. Central Intelligence - 111.3M

06. The Angry Birds Movie - 106.2M

07. The Conjuring 2 - 100.1M

08. Independence Day: Resurgence - 94.3M

09. The Legend Of Tarzan - 89.8M

10. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out Of The Shadows - 80.5M

TOTAL - 1.717.4B

While Secret Life Of Pets hasn't quite hit its stride yet (and when it does, Spidey: Homecoming will follow it pretty closely anyway), 2017 has finally amassed a leadership over 2016, which should maintain itself solid as the base for 2017 going over is the range of 100M+/sub-200M movies being stronger than that of 2016's. That range will probably keep 2017 with a small but still present lead over 2016 despite the power of Dory and Pets.... that is, of course, until Suicide Squad hits and 2017 has no striking power left.

• Like 5

With the deadly serious Apes trilogy coming to an end, the next movie should take a lighter tone. I have an idea for where they can take their inspiration from

The Simpsons - Planet Of The Apes Musical - Dr. Zaius

Find More Animated Comedy Here- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpcRP8g6oGM The Simpsons - Planet Of The Apes Musical Staring Troy McClure. Dr. Zaius. From - "A Fish Called Selma" (The nineteenth episode of The Simpsons' seventh season) Original air date - March 24, 1996

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Seems solid enough for Apes. Hopefully it has a solid internal multiplier and it's not frontloaded (but I'm worried that the Popcorn Law may make a victim, since general audiences may be expecting an action extravaganza and apparently that's not what the movie is... but I could be wrong).

Anyway, the current top 10 of the Summer 2017:

01. Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2 - 386M

02. Wonder Woman - 372.6M

03. Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales - 169.4M

04. Despicable Me 3 - 164.5M

05. Spider-Man: Homecoming - 154.2M

06. Cars 3 - 136.1M

07. Transformers: The Last Knight - 121.5M

08. The Mummy - 78.5M

09. Alien: Covenant - 73.9M

10. Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie - 70.7M

TOTAL - 1.727.4B

It's absolutely fascinating and mindblowing that Wonder Woman is all but a few weeks away from overtaking GOTG V2. Never in a million years thought that would be possible. For the 3rd year in a row, a massive, four-quadrant tentpole from June overperforms and takes the mantle of #1 of the Summer over the May Marvel release. Unbelievable.

Apes should break into the list if it makes the higher end of expectations (which is a possibility, but a slim one). Baby Driver also could break into the list with another amazing hold and bring Captain Underpants down, though, and even if Apes tries to push it out again by Tuesday or Wednesday, it'll probably also beat Covfefe by that time.

In comparision, the 2016 top 10 up until this point (July 13th... technically today is the 14th, but no Friday numbers yet):

01. Finding Dory - 431.9M

02. Captain America: Civil War - 406.4M

03. X-Men: Apocalypse - 154.7M

04. The Secret Life Of Pets - 142.2M

05. Central Intelligence - 111.3M

06. The Angry Birds Movie - 106.2M

07. The Conjuring 2 - 100.1M

08. Independence Day: Resurgence - 94.3M

09. The Legend Of Tarzan - 89.8M

10. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out Of The Shadows - 80.5M

TOTAL - 1.717.4B

While Secret Life Of Pets hasn't quite hit its stride yet (and when it does, Spidey: Homecoming will follow it pretty closely anyway), 2017 has finally amassed a leadership over 2016, which should maintain itself solid as the base for 2017 going over is the range of 100M+/sub-200M movies being stronger than that of 2016's. That range will probably keep 2017 with a small but still present lead over 2016 despite the power of Dory and Pets.... that is, of course, until Suicide Squad hits and 2017 has no striking power left.

I think we're in for some overperformances the next few weeks as Tomato Law kicks in for Dunkirk, Girls Trip, and Atomic Blonde. But yeah, August is gonna be rough: Annabelle is the only movie that feels certain to do well (but won't set the box office on fire either) as The Dark Tower feels more and more like a flop, while there are a few likely-to-be-well-reviewed movies (Detroit, Logan Lucky) that seem limited in terms of commercial appeal.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I think we're in for some overperformances the next few weeks as Tomato Law kicks in for Dunkirk, Girls Trip, and Atomic Blonde. But yeah, August is gonna be rough: Annabelle is the only movie that feels certain to do well (but won't set the box office on fire either) as The Dark Tower feels more and more like a flop, while there are a few likely-to-be-well-reviewed movies (Detroit, Logan Lucky) that seem limited in terms of commercial appeal.

Don't sleep on Hitman's Bodyguard either, I think that shit's gonna overperform; but yeah, while July may be stronger than last year's, Suicide Squad is a death blow for 2017's momentum and they got absolutely nothing to counter it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Don't sleep on Hitman's Bodyguard either, I think that shit's gonna overperform; but yeah, while July may be stronger than last year's, Suicide Squad is a death blow for 2017's momentum and they got absolutely nothing to counter it.

wHQ2RyVtwEvLAAAAABJRU5ErkJgggA=

• Like 3

Apes should do around $62-64 million OW. While it'll be more frontloaded than Dawn, the franchise skews heavily in the 35-55 demo, so previews aren't as significant an indicator for OW. 

$63 million/$180 million seems reasonable since Dunkirk is the last film this summer with potential for a $50 million+ OW. Everything else seems sleeper hit, mid-level hit or bomb to me.  That'll be enough for around a 2.8x-2.85x, I think.