WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 150): Apes 56.3M | SMH 44.2M | DM3 19.4M | Baby 8.7M | Big Dick 7.5M | WW 6.8M | Wish Upon 5.5M | Tomatoes losing their power

1 hour ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

i don't understand the drop for Apes franchise, i guess its hard to market for casual fans with very little human characters

I love Matt Reeves' style, but it's bleak and slow paced at times.   Not much for mass appeal.   Lots of teens at my showing tonight and I can't imagine they are going to brag about something that somber.

If this disappoints, I can see the execs at WB getting nervous about Reeves' Batman and being tempted to step in to order up some "crowd pleasing" moments.   I'm a bit worried now.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jonwo said:

The film noir aspect intrigues me. Villain wise, I hope it's either The Penguin or The Riddler even though I'd love to see Clayface or Man-Bat, they can save them for another Bat family film

The Mad Hatter could work as a secondary villain strangely, especially if they play up the obsession angle.

6 hours ago, Cochofles said:

I know Selina is more of an anti-heroine, but...has she ever been portrayed in comics as a straight up villainess? I would be curious about yet another movie Selina if they skipped the "kill you or kiss you" thing with Bruce, and just went for the kill part...if they made her a purely villainous character, I'd be intrigued.

Catwoman was basically a straight-up villain throughout much of the sixties, in large part thanks to the 66 TV series, and even the 40's, other then that she's usually been show as a thief anti-heroine.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Harpospoke said:

I love Matt Reeves' style, but it's bleak and slow paced at times.   Not much for mass appeal.   Lots of teens at my showing tonight and I can't imagine they are going to brag about something that somber.

If this disappoints, I can see the execs at WB getting nervous about Reeves' Batman and being tempted to step in to order up some "crowd pleasing" moments.   I'm a bit worried now.

WB is still traumatized from BvS so I can definitely see this happening

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Harpospoke said:

For all we know by Batman releases there will enough cheery/lighter CBMs that people will want something mire aligned to Reeve's style.

26 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Wonder Woman was "new" and rewarded in a huge way.  Guardians 2 was still fresh enough it wasn't penalized.  Baby Driver was rewarded.  The Big Sick is being rewarded. I hope that Dunkirk and Girls Trip will be rewarded next week.  Detroit should be rewarded as should Logan Lucky.  

...Maybe Valerian? :ph34r: 

30 minutes ago, Harpospoke said:

Let's not overreact or anything. :lol: Sheesh

The Batman name sells itself. Apes, not so much.

Edited by TheMovieman
  • Like 2

Batman is not the same thing as an apocalyptic film about apes taking over. Batman is supposed to be dark and the audience likes him dark but the trick is your movie has to actually be good. Lighthearted Batman sure didn't do that well at the box office this year. The Lego Batman movie did nothing overseas and underperformed a lot of expectations domestically. The Apes movie has great reviews, they're not getting rid of him. And his Batman movie isn't going to be another War for the Planet of the Apes any more than Black Panther is going to be Fruitvale Station 2.

By some of you guys logic Wonder Woman was going to have the exact same tone and story as Monster.

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 9

1 minute ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Batman is not the same thing as an apocalyptic film about apes taking over. Batman is supposed to be dark and the audience likes him dark but the trick is your movie has to actually be good. Lighthearted Batman sure didn't do that well at the box office this year. The Lego Batman movie did nothing overseas and underperformed a lot of expectations domestically. The Apes movie has great reviews, they're not getting rid of him. And his Batman movie isn't going to be another War for the Planet of the Apes any more than Black Panther is going to be Fruitvale Station 2.

Take your stinking fingers off the keyboard, you damn dirty... rationalist.

3 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

By some of you guys logic Wonder Woman was going to have the exact same tone and story as Monster.

Also by that logic, Guy Ritchie would not have been given Alladin :lol:

• Like 2

Spiderman was on 163 on Thu. So 47 weekend (probably the max it can do from Fri of 13.2) gives it 210.

Minions had a 49 weekend that took it to 215.

Minions added 121 more to it's cume. That's 121/49 = 2.47x more

Same multi gives Spiderman 210 + 2.47*47 = 326 dom (2.79x). That's the high-end imo considering after a couple of big falls Minions started showing strong legs that Spidey could emulate.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekend&id=minions.htm

• Like 2

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

the summer has only been nice to WW it seem

1) High RT score

2) Much bigger than tracker

3) much softer 2nd weekend drop

4) father day bump

5) Independence day jump

6) Spiderman can't kill it with equivalent high RT

Now, she asked for smallest drop since its release, if $7m, it would give her 28% drop.....

Even with GOTGV2's fantastic numbers and SM:H's "rescuing" the Spidey franchise, it seems like Wonder Woman will indeed end up being the  story of the summer.