WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 150): Apes 56.3M | SMH 44.2M | DM3 19.4M | Baby 8.7M | Big Dick 7.5M | WW 6.8M | Wish Upon 5.5M | Tomatoes losing their power

1 hour ago, Brainbug said:

In this cruel world, Despicable Me 3 will earn nearly 100M more than Apes...

:sadben:

Keeping in mind how much the first ones did, they are showing a somewhat similar drop.

DM3 is looking to do 94% of DM1 (235 vs 251)

APES3 is looking to do 88% of APES1 (155 vs 176.5)

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

Thanks, guys! I was really confused. I think that, not unlike iJack, I was way too eager to expect this film to behave more like Wonder Woman than like Amazing Spider-Man in terms of drops. The love-letter reviews and ecstatic internet buzz made me expect something that may not have been too realistic. 

This is the sort of area where things like the Tomato Law are really going to break down. While Wonder Woman and Spider-Man are pretty equal in the strength of reviews, the content of the conversation about them is quite different.

It's like, Spider-Man is an enjoyable film, but I've never seen anyone really talk about the importance of theme. There isn't a tremor of "you have to see this movie" going on under the talk about it. That's in pretty stark contrast to Wonder Woman, which has generated a lot of dialogue about what it's doing on many levels. There might be some people that Spider-Man speaks to personally, but it's a significantly smaller group than those who are seeing something special in Wonder Woman.

Spider-Man is a film I'd describe as fun, if someone asked. It's the sort of endorsement that would probably prompt someone to go see it if they were already inclined. With Wonder Woman, however, I'm probably going to pester someone for weeks until they see it.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I need to stop thinkjnabout apes cuz I always cry when I think of it :( 😢

is that so because the movie was

a. that good

b. that bad

c. that disappointing at the bo

d. that amazing at the bo

e. the theater did not let you finish the movie

notes: it's a multiple choice question

Edited by a2knet

2 minutes ago, a2knet said:

is that so because the movie was

a. that good

b. that bad

c. that disappointing at the bo

d. that amazing at the bo

e. the theater did not let you finish the movie

notes: it's a multiple choice question

a, also extends to that emotional

• Like 1

1 minute ago, a2knet said:

War felt less like Apes3 and more like Dawn2 if u know what I mean.

I agree, a casual moviegoer could have easily thoght that it was basically Dawn again.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, DamienRoc said:

It's like, Spider-Man is an enjoyable film, but I've never seen anyone really talk about the importance of theme. There isn't a tremor of "you have to see this movie" going on under the talk about it. That's in pretty stark contrast to Wonder Woman, which has generated a lot of dialogue about what it's doing on many levels. There might be some people that Spider-Man speaks to personally, but it's a significantly smaller group than those who are seeing something special in Wonder Woman.

Wonder Woman is the first major female superhero movie and a new interpretation of a pretty popular Comic Book character. One would expect a high curiosity factor, a pent up demand for it. Spider-Man, on the other hand, has been rebooted 10,000 times and it is the same awkward teenager routine - although  Holland does the best version of it. Throw in RDJ factor, the movie has that mini Avengers effect. I am very interested with how Fox is going to push their tired X-Men movies with the Dark Phoenix saga (they should do the Fall of Mutants storyline, love that one as a kid). Milk it until the sacred cow is dry. Deadpool & Logan to the rescue. I predict the studios are going to the stand-alone mode again. Matt Reeves' Batman looks to be disconnected from the DCEU. Deadpool is pretty much on his own. Look at how Fox did with Logan, got great critical acceptance and still win the popular votes. Stand-alone SH movies should be the new trend from now on when The Avengers and Justice League have run their course like the X-Men did. Or maybe do character-centric Trilogy/Serials like Planet Hulk, or the afore-mentioned The Fall of the Mutants, Batman's Killing Joke or Arkham Asylum or The Cult,  Captain America's new Hydra/Secret Empire story with emphasis on character arc and close-ended resolution. I would love a stand-alone Wolverine vs Hulk movie.  

Edited by zackzack
  • Like 4

36 minutes ago, thelich343 said:

So can we say farewell to TOMATO LAW. It didn't save Alien and it now we see Apes.

There was never Tomato Law. It just happened that some movies that critics went gaga for connected with the widest audience too, but not because of TL. 

Also, social media buzz=/= GA. Some movies are much more social media friendly than the other so they get more chatter. That does not necessarily translate into a magnificent boxoffice. AoU had way more social media buzz than JW but JW beat the shit out of that one with GA. Ditto CW, another made-for-social-media movie. GA didn't connect nearly as well with it as social media buzz (including critical circle jerk) lead everyone to believe. So careful with predicting Infinity War. That one is the ultimate social media movie so that's gonna skew (over) predictions. Remember that adding more SH to the roaster is not a novelty to GA anymore and that GA may actually be put off by so many characters, most of whom they don't care about. 

• Like 4