WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 150): Apes 56.3M | SMH 44.2M | DM3 19.4M | Baby 8.7M | Big Dick 7.5M | WW 6.8M | Wish Upon 5.5M | Tomatoes losing their power

6 minutes ago, AdamKendall said:

Didn't he sort of bash the movie before it even came out.  I seem to remember something like that.

apparently his character was supposed to get shot and die in the end of the first movie anyway. They cut it out after test audiences didn't like it. So they just killed him between the movies. 

here is the higher expectations for Apes weekend:

$4,000 PTA = roughly 16 million from 4,000 locations.

$5,000 Saturday PTA = 25% increase and roughly a 20M Saturday. (Star Trek increased like 23.3%)

$4,000 Sunday PTA = 20% drop from Sat and a Sunday that equals Friday.....

$13,000 weekend PTA from roughly 4000 locations is 52 million.  Add 5 in previews and you get 57.  Possible a M: I - RN run?

Edited by Matrix4You

WONDR's 3rd weekend was 41+. Only about 5 short of Spidey's (likely) 2nd weekend.

Spidey's 3rd weekend could come in below WONDR's 4th weekend of 24.9, cause if Spidey does 46 this weekend then 25 next weekend requires a 45.5% drop and it could fall closer to 50%.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, a2knet said:

WONDR's 3rd weekend was 41+. Only about 5 short of Spidey's (likely) 2nd weekend.

Spidey's 3rd weekend could come in below WONDR's 4th weekend of 24.9, cause if Spidey does 46 this weekend then 25 next weekend requires a 45.5% drop and it could fall closer to 50%.

Spiderman box office run only exist for us to appreciate WW run more.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I dont understand why they killed franco's character. He should have been back for dawn and war. 

Im glad they did. It really helps you feel the impact of the virus with our main characters from the first movie getting it. Plus it's more realistic that he wouldn't survive.

• Like 1

Franco's character not being in these movies didn't harm them at the box office.  Franco's character was fairly two-dimensional in the first film anyway and that was fine, the film worked regardless. It's not some character that I think people gravitated towards. I seriously doubt there are a ton of fans of the first two movies asking, where is James Franco's character?

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Ugh, this summer at the box office is just yuck. If not for WW I'd say it would be the worst summer to follow at the box office since I started like 15 years ago. 

Yet, because of WW it's one of the best summers to follow the box office.

• Like 2

Just rewatched the first Spider-Man. Movie still holds up, but it is shocking how different it is to current CBMs. The stakes are very very low and personal more than city or world threatening. The villain pretty much achieves his goal in his first appearance and then remains a villain because he enjoys it too much. The pacing is pretty much break neck, Peter gets bit by the spider 10 minutes in and Norman gets goblin-fied 15 minutes in, and this is including the credits.

Spidey never gets a big reveal, I think the speculation that the WTC scene was supposed to be his big reveal before it was cut might actually have some merit to it. He is not Spider-Man in one scene and then he just is fully formed in the next. The action setpieces are just so small scale as well, but the danger and tension is felt way more than most of the "world will end VFX orgies" we get in third acts now. It is just a hand to hand fight between SM and Goblin and Spider-Man saving the cable car/MJ.

One thing we don't get anymore are stylized credits at the start of movies, those seem to be saved for the end credits now.

• Like 12

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

Just rewatched the first Spider-Man. Movie still holds up, but it is shocking how different it is to current CBMs. The stakes are very very low and personal more than city or world threatening. The villain pretty much achieves his goal in his first appearance and then remains a villain because he enjoys it too much. The pacing is pretty much break neck, Peter gets bit by the spider 10 minutes in and Norman gets goblin-fied 15 minutes in, and this is including the credits.

Spidey never gets a big reveal, I think the speculation that the WTC scene was supposed to be his big reveal before it was cut might actually have some merit to it. He is not Spider-Man in one scene and then he just is fully formed in the next. The action setpieces are just so small scale as well, but the danger and tension is felt way more than most of the "world will end VFX orgies" we get in third acts now. It is just a hand to hand fight between SM and Goblin and Spider-Man saving the cable car/MJ.

Its also shocking how brutal the final fight is. Not to mention Green Goblin gets castrated to death 

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, grim22 said:

One thing we don't get anymore are stylized credits at the start of movies, those seem to be saved for the end credits now.

SM 1 and SM 2 are masterpieces

• Like 6

40 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Is this really surprising..anything to keep WW this and that for another month I guess

I said this on here before at some point, but studios did this to themselves this summer.  They had way too many well reviewed movies shoved into a very small window and nothing had a chance to breathe.  The movie going public only has so much money theoretically, and asking people to come out and support about 10 good to brilliant films in a 4 week period is idiotic.  Baby Driver made it even worse when it moved dates and shoved itself into that late June and early July window.  

Some of it is bad luck of scheduling, but too much high quality ended up right on top of each other.  I think it also shows this summer, and hopefully we see it continue next weekend, that audiences rewarded "new" or original films and didn't exactly reward a lot of the sequels and rehashes no matter how good they were.  

Spider-Man: Homecoming is about to drop 70% or so.  Cars 3 and Despicable Me 3 were toast very quickly.  War of the Planet of the Apes might have the worst opening of the trilogy.  Fate of the Furious fell way off.  Transformers and Pirates were rejected.  The Mummy and Alien: Covenant were rejected.  King Arthur was rejected.  Obvious copycat formula movies like Baywatch,Rough Night and The House were rejected.  

Wonder Woman was "new" and rewarded in a huge way.  Guardians 2 was still fresh enough it wasn't penalized.  Baby Driver was rewarded.  The Big Sick is being rewarded. I hope that Dunkirk and Girls Trip will be rewarded next week.  Detroit should be rewarded as should Logan Lucky.  

Lots of factors at work here, but add this to Split and Get Out doing huge numbers and a fresh take on super hero movies with Logan, then maybe audiences are embracing original movies or fresh takes in a bigger way.  There is the outlier of Beauty and the Beast, but that one was simply a freight train that wasn't going to be stopped.  

Will be interesting to watch the rest of the year.  

• Like 23