CJohn

DUNKIRK WEEKEND THREAD | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS | Official estimates Dunkirk 50.5M, GT 30.3M, SMH 22M, Apes 20.4M, Val 17M | Wonder Woman is the new summer champ with 389M total | Summer Sale is Live!

6 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Rank the movies mentioned on this page - SM1, Gravity, Titanic, Dunkirk, Avatar, Interstellar, Big Sick

1. Titanic A/A+

2. SM1 A

3. Gravity A-

4. Interstellar B+/A-

5. Avatar B+

Haven't seen Dunkirk and Big Sick

Largely concurred...... 

Titanic - A+

SM1- A-

Gravity -A+

Interstellar- B+

Dunkirk- A-

I've only heard of Big Dick

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Mocking bad movies is a fun thing to do and often makes them tolerable! Is it such a hard concept to grasp?

I'm sure the projectionist would've been greatly amused by you yelling st the screen

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

If RT audience score could give 69% to an all-time masterpiece like Titanic, I don't see why they won't do that to Dunkirk.

This is why I rarely refer myself to audience score, they are just too "playful" because they risk nothing at giving out the score like critics risks their credibility or their position in public.   

I could imagine why they would never goes that low for a movie like Dunkirk, the RT target audience (18-34 male) were Titanic/Dicaprio haters at the time and are Nolan lover now.

DM3 has been holding really well after its OW. Could end with a 3.5x, which is incredibly rare for a three-quel (even animated ones). While it's obviously helped by having weak competition, I think this does show that WOM isn't nearly as bad as people think. Weak competition doesn't guarantee good/great legs.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I could imagine why they would never goes that low for a movie like Dunkirk, the RT target audience (18-34 male) were Titanic/Dicaprio haters at the time and are Nolan lover now.

The Dicaprio haters have been turned into lovers by Nolan's power. :bourne:

2 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Enjoyed Dunkirk at the IMAX quite a bit (if 'enjoyed' is the right word for feeling like your senses have taken a beating) but I've no idea what legs will be like.

The audience was mostly silent at my showing, even after the movie ended. Hard to know what to make of that.

• Like 1

Something I saw on Awards Watch that's worth a share (not sure how reliable this is so don't @ me): https://zakkondratenko.com/2017/07/18/july-oscar-buzz/amp/

The main Fox branch will be pushing The Papers and Logan.

The Current War is apparently a piece of shit based on test screenings.

Weinstein wants to acquire another film because they aren't confident in anything they have.

Marshall probably sucks.

mother! will be big. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Barnack said:

I think you would be surprised by how popular tv show like Roots or Mash were in the past.

Roots in 1977 for example:

The miniseries was watched by an estimated 130 million [14][15][16] and 140[17][18] million viewers total (more than half of the U.S. 1977 population of 221 million – the largest viewership ever attracted by any type of television series in US history as tallied by Nielsen Media Research) and averaged a 44.9 rating[17] and 66% to 80% viewer share[17] of the audience. The final episode was watched by 100 million viewers and an average of 80 million viewers watched each of the last seven episodes

In the past they were show watched by everyone, almost nothing is watched by 15% of the population now, it is really not close.

I remember when Roots came out, and even as young as I was I recall that it was HUGE.  It was everywhere, and because of the subject matter and reflection on race relations in the US it had a huge impact culturally.

With M*A*S*H, it was one of my favorite shows to watch with my parents. It was a magic blend of tragedy and comedy, tackling such serious issues with a deft levity that was really unique. Blake's death and Hawkeye's heart-rending retelling of the "she killed her baby" experience still make me tear up.

And the thing to keep in mind is that back then, there was really only three stations to watch, and no DVRs or anything like that so the competition for viewers was way, way less.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, cannastop said:

The audience was mostly silent at my showing, even after the movie ended. Hard to know what to make of that.

Did you check their pulse?

• Astonished 1

4 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

Dunkirk should be a couple hundred thousand above estimates.  

Girls Trip might be $1m more than estimates.  

Not surprised about Girls Trip increasing.  My showing on Sunday at 5:50 was nearly sold out.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Something I saw on Awards Watch that's worth a share (not sure how reliable this is so don't @ me): https://zakkondratenko.com/2017/07/18/july-oscar-buzz/amp/

The main Fox branch will be pushing The Papers and Logan.

The Current War is apparently a piece of shit based on test screenings.

Weinstein wants to acquire another film because they aren't confident in anything they have.

Marshall probably sucks.

mother! will be big. 

-YESSS, the dream for Stewart getting nommed isn't over.

-That sucks if true, I thought it sounded interesting

-Mary Magdalene?  I mean Lion got a nom last year, this can easily do so

-Not surprised after the trailer

-Awards season-wise or BO-wise?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, That EddieKaspbrak Guy said:

-Mary Magdalene?  I mean Lion got a nom last year, this can easily do so

-Awards season-wise or BO-wise?

The article says Mary Magdalene is probably too controversial to go anywhere, which is something I've felt for months. Box office wise, there's zero chance it goes wide, and I'm sure there'd be many boycotts :lol: 

Awards wise.

Edited by WrathOfHan