Finnick

Thursday Numbers: DUNKIRK:$5.19M | GT:$3.17M | SMH:$2.77M | APES:$2.02M | GRU:$1.96M | WW:$0.65M .....NOT THE WW OSCAR PUSH THREAD (take it to the WW thread)

Just now, filmnerdjamie said:

I am saying that this isn't anything we haven't seen before (These articles are nothing but puff pieces). Warner Brothers held "For Your Consideration" screenings for Superman Returns

If you loved Wonder Woman, God bless ya. But stop for a second to think it legit has a shot at Oscar gold. If any of these films had a chance, it would be Logan... and that won't happen either.

It has nothing to do with me loving Wonder Woman. It has everything to do with Wonder Woman being the flavor of the month. There's also a really strong push this year to recognize women and Wonder Woman has two incredibly strong females, one in front of the camera and one behind it. Not only do I think that Warner Brothers will push this hard but I think Patty Jenkins will get an Oscar nomination as best director. And it has nothing to do with whether or not I think it deserves it but Oscars are all about politics and this is the perfect time to break the comic book snub mold that has been there for years.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

WB already has Dunkirk, Blade Runner, and probably Clint's new movie to campaign for. WW will not be their focus.

Will the 15.17 to Paris be ready for December? They're only shooting it now.

Just now, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

It has nothing to do with me loving Wonder Woman. It has everything to do with Wonder Woman being the flavor of the month. There's also a really strong push this year to recognize women and Wonder Woman has two incredibly strong females, one in front of the camera and one behind it. Not only do I think that Warner Brothers will push this hard but I think Patty Jenkins will get an Oscar nomination as best director. And it has nothing to do with whether or not I think it deserves it but Oscars are all about politics and this is the perfect time to break the comic book snub mold that has been there for years.

The Dark Knight losing a Best Picture nomination caused so much heat the Academy had to change its own rules to include more films (Read: big commercial blockbusters that John and Jane Doe Moviegoer actually watched). Personally I don't think it was a big deal - the actual snub was, in fact, Wall-E. Sure, it's a great movie but Best Picture?! I don't think so.

In the near-decade since then, did any comic-book/superhero films accomplish such a nomination, including the just-as-acclaimed one-two KO of The Avengers and The Dark Knight Rises?  So... why do we think Wonder Woman will suddenly break the barrier? It's a flavor that will be out of everyone's taste buds by the time Star Wars: The Last Jedi rolls around and everyone will claim that should get a Best Picture nomination too. Don't believe me? Everyone said the exact same thing about Logan when it was killing it. Now... the sugar rush is over and it's on to the next thing.

You know I love ya, buddy, but come on.

Edited by filmnerdjamie
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

It's standard operating procedure for studios to do "For Your Consideration" ads for their major releases. Even Green Lantern got them. 

A lot of films get DVDs and promotional materials sent out for Oscar consideration, yes. Fewer films get major pushes because they have a legitimate shot at one of the major awards. WB will push Dunkirk due to quality and performance. WB will push Wonder woman as well due to reception and historic purposes.

Wonder Woman's unlikely to win Best Picture and Best Director. However with the expanded field it has a good shot at scoring nominations. Which would be big for raising the profile of the franchise and studio.

WB and DC has also had good success with the Oscars and scored four of them already. It wouldn't surprise me if Wonder Woman grabbed a smaller Oscar like supporting actor or a technical category. I'm sure "two-time Oscar winning DC Films franchise" has a nice ring to them after all that they were put through earlier getting things off the ground.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, filmnerdjamie said:

The Dark Knight losing a Best Picture nomination caused so much heat the Academy had to change its own rules to include more films (Read: big commercial blockbusters that John and Jane Doe Moviegoer actually watched). Personally I don't think it was a big deal - the actual snub was, in fact, Wall-E. Sure, it's a great movie but Best Picture?! I don't think so.

In the near-decade since then, did any comic-book/superhero films accomplish such a nomination, including the just-as-acclaimed one-two KO of The Avengers and The Dark Knight Rises?  So... why do we think Wonder Woman will suddenly break the barrier? It's a flavor that will be out of everyone's taste buds by the time Star Wars: The Last Jedi rolls around and everyone will claim that should get a Best Picture nomination too. Don't believe me? Everyone said the exact same thing about Logan when it was killing it. Now... the sugar rush is over and it's on to the next thing.

You know I love ya, buddy, but come on.

Politics.  Plain and simple.  Do you really think the best films get nominated every year?  Nope.  Look at the Weinsteins....they are notorious for buying nominations.  Look at last year.  The academy got slammed the year before for OSCARSOWHITE.....then it goes out and nominates and gives best picture to a horrible film imo, but at least a film that was leagues away from being the best of the year.  This year, the political shift is going towards recognizing strong women.

I'll make you a friendly wager.....if Jenkins gets nominated for best director OR WW for best picture, you donate $25.00 to the site, if neither of these happens, I donate $25.00 to the site. :)

Love you too buddy......but I just have a feeling this year.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, AHepBurn said:

A lot of films get DVDs and promotional materials sent out for Oscar consideration, yes. Fewer films get major pushes because they have a legitimate shot at one of the major awards. WB will push Dunkirk due to quality and performance. WB will push Wonder woman as well due to reception and historic purposes.

Wonder Woman's unlikely to win Best Picture and Best Director. However with the expanded field it has a good shot at scoring nominations. Which would be big for raising the profile of the franchise and studio.

WB and DC has also had good success with the Oscars and scored four of them already. It wouldn't surprise me if Wonder Woman grabbed a smaller Oscar like supporting actor or a technical category. I'm sure "two-time Oscar winning DC Films franchise" has a nice ring to them after all that they were put through earlier getting things off the ground.

There is not an expanded field in Best Director. 5 spots only. I don't think Wonder Woman or Dunkirk will get nominated in that category. 

30 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

Trust me. I've seen this before. It is.

The Dark Knight Rises (their big bread-winner for '12), for example, got a push... when the whole time WB knew Argo was their real shot at Oscar victory. 

Giving Wonder Woman all the talk aloud but there is no way they will take away their Oscar-campaign cash from getting their prized horse, one Mr. Nolan, his Oscar.

I'm not convinced that WB managed to push 2 blockbuster for oscar campaign, especially Dunkirk has much more higher rating from critics 

3 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Hope this entire thread won't be about WW Oscar campaign.

You're right....we should take this to the WW thread.

3 hours ago, filmnerdjamie said:

It's all good. Baumer and I will kiss and make up after it doesn't get nominated and he buys me some Tim Horton's.

Tim Horton's?  LOL....you are either in the north east part of the US or come to Canada often.

• Like 1

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

WB already has Dunkirk, Blade Runner, and probably Clint's new movie to campaign for. WW will not be their focus.

Let's be frank here. The bigger goal for Blade Runner 2049 is making sure it doesn't shit the bed commercially like the original did.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I said this in the Wonder Woman thread and I'll say it again here. Just because the Oscars has ten slots for BP, doesn't mean ten movies get nominated. In order to get a best picture nod, you have to have enough first place votes....as in enough members of The Academy have to consider your film the best movie of the year. And before all of that, you have to garner enough buzz from the other awards to even be considered. Does anyone think WW is getting a golden globe nod? Or a BAFTA nod? Or a WGA nod? Or a DGA? How about an SGA? We all know Dunkirk is a shoe in for one of those spots. Get Out should make it, but we shall see. And then if you're going to throw Wonder Woman into the mix, Logan is going to be considered as well as Fox already said they're running a campaign for it. So that's already 3-4 movies and the festival season hasn't even started yet. All im saying is, I'm not getting my hopes up....because 9 times out of 10 the Oscar front runners come from films that are released later in the year and every now and then you get a Mad Max type situation but I think in this case Get Out/Dunkirk will be the films that gets Oscar consideration outside of the festival circuit. 

Id LOVE to be wrong. I want comicbook films to be considered in the bigger categories...it's why I was all in on the Deadpool train last year, but I've been let down on more than one occasion (TDK, TWS, GOTG, TA) that I'll have to see it to believe it. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

Let's be frank here. The bigger goal for Blade Runner 2049 is making sure it doesn't shit the bed commercially like the original did.

Indeed. Selling a 2 and a half hour slow sci-fi epic is going to be hard to those not already interested in Blade Runner, and I think people need to cool it with predictions like a total similar to Fury Road. I'm expecting 40/100 at the moment but won't be surprised if it goes lower.

Edited by WrathOfHan

3 hours ago, Jayhawk said:

Is Tim Horton's any good? There's a bunch where I'm moving. Is it just a Canadian version of Dunkin'?

Well, I'm biased because I live here but I love it.  The coffee is good but that's besides the point.  Tim Horton's is part of Canadiana.  It's famous and Canadians all over the world love it.  I have no idea how good Dunkin Donuts is but Tim Horton's is at every corner, at least in Ontario (the province where Toronto, Ottawa, London and places like that are).  We love it here.

• Like 1