filmlover

Call Me by Your Name | Sony Pictures Classics | 11/24/2017 in NY and LA

Just now, Jake Gittes said:

I gave Sony Classics the benefit of the doubt with this but they don't deserve to get any good movies with how badly they botched the expansion here. 

It's kind of ridiculous.  The film is already down to one showtime a day in most theaters near me.  And the theater I saw it in was pretty empty considering how little showtimes it had and the fact that it got a BP nom.

1 minute ago, Jake Gittes said:

I gave Sony Classics the benefit of the doubt with this but they don't deserve to get any good movies with how badly they botched the expansion here. 

Yeah, they fumbled the expansion. Took too long and then when they went wide, it was before the Oscar noms were announced (when it was bound to fare poorly without the advantage of the boost).

Shame, cause this movie deserved so much better. At least it got the love it deserved.

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Took too long and then when they went wide, it was before the Oscar noms were announced (when it was bound to fare poorly without the advantage of the boost).

Not to mention it was right against Phantom Thread which was hotter and buzzier and went down after exactly the same audience in the same amount of theaters. This is like a textbook example of how not to roll out your hugely acclaimed awards season prestige movie. 

• Like 3

Just now, Jake Gittes said:

Not to mention it was right against Phantom Thread which was hotter and buzzier and went down after exactly the same audience in the same amount of theaters. This is like a textbook example of how not to roll out your hugely acclaimed awards season prestige movie. 

I'm guessing they were afraid of click bait "hit piece" articles surrounding the age issue (from people who obviously didn't see the movie) doing possible damage if they gave it a stronger push but yeah.

Just now, filmlover said:

I'm guessing they were afraid of click bait "hit piece" articles surrounding the age issue (from people who obviously didn't see the movie) doing possible damage if they gave it a stronger push but yeah.

I doubt that's what they were afraid of.  They just did a poor job of expanding it because Sony's gonna Sony.

• Like 1

Something I'm stealing from @La Binoche from the weekend thread:

In Spring 2016, Hello, My Name is Doris, a Roadside film, managed to gross $14.4 million, with a maximum of 979 theaters. The Meddler, an SPC film, grossed only $4.3 million, at a maximum of 464 theaters.

They both got the same level of reception, were considered crowdpleasers, and were targeting the exact same audience, and yet one was a modest success, while the other is completely forgotten. I know that release date plays a big factor for these films and how many theaters and screens they're able to get, but I still think Meddler could have done better under a different studio.

Better yet, a good chunk of SPC's recent English-language films could have garnered more success under different distributors. An Education could have tripled its gross under Focus, as would Whiplash under Fox Searchlight. I'd even argue Still Alice would have made a touch more under Focus or Weinstein (back in 2015 of course)

In short, SPC needs better campaigners, new management, or at the very least just stick to foreign-language films.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

Whiplash somehow only made $13M and only got 567 theaters maximum, wtf were they doing

Yeah, that's another one. Also: Paris Can Wait (not an awards player obviously but probably would've done really well with the older women crowd if it had received a 2,000 theater launch and solid marketing push).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

In Spring 2016, Hello, My Name is Doris, a Roadside film, managed to gross $14.4 million, with a maximum of 979 theaters. The Meddler, an SPC film, grossed only $4.3 million, at a maximum of 464 theaters.

They both got the same level of reception, were considered crowdpleasers, and were targeting the exact same audience, and yet one was a modest success, while the other is completely forgotten. I know that release date plays a big factor for these films and how many theaters and screens they're able to get, but I still think Meddler could have done better under a different studio.

Better yet, a good chunk of SPC's recent English-language films could have garnered more success under different distributors. An Education could have tripled its gross under Focus, as would Whiplash under Fox Searchlight. I'd even argue Still Alice would have made a touch more under Focus or Weinstein (back in 2015 of course)

In short, SPC needs better campaigners, new management, or at the very least just stick to foreign-language films.

I think they dropped the ball here too in terms of expansion dates.  There's absolutely no reason it shouldn't have expanded over the last w/e and it should expand this w/e with nothing much new on offer because of the SB.    The movie is beautiful  and I don't think much less mainstream than say Three Billboards  or Phantom Thread.

But in how they deal with other films it could be a matter of marketing $ available.  SPC could be far more limited in that regard than Searchlight or Focus.  Awards campaigns also cost money. 

Without knowing all the financial arrangements and expenses, their business model might actually be as or more profitable than other studio independents.

• Like 1

This will never do much because the GA isn't going to go for a gay love story that is treated "normally." Has to be treated with a bunch of opposition and emotional distress/tension like Moonlight/Brokeback. We're still not at the point where most of America can look at a gay love the same way as heterosexual love and not differentiate, even if people are by and large becoming tolerant of it. 

12 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Seems like creating awareness is their big issue. Did anyone even know this was expanding wide on the 19th until a few days before that? Looking at how their movies always expand and how much their PTAs drop it's like they just take it for granted that interest is there and don't do any work in trying to increase and sustain it. 

• Like 1