the beast

Wednesday Numbers: Dunkirk - $3.52 mil / Wonder Woman - $465k / Girls Trip - $2.04 million / SMH - $1.86 million / The Emoji Movie - $2.82 million / Atomic Blonde - $1.723 million / Apes 3 - $1.285 million / DM3 - $1.262 million / Valerian - $834k /

Man from U.N.C.L.E is just kinda boring and a bit all over the place tbh (the opening scene implies Hammer has superhuman abilities but that never comes into play again). Not any of the leads' fault.

22 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I think you are trolling here. You have to.

I'm actually not. Take a look at this: 

(scratch that, BOM isn't working right now).  I've been following Homecoming's bo run very closely, comparing it with GotG, SS, SM3 and Secret Life of Pets. All of them hold at least 100 more theaters on its fifth weekend. I honestly think it'll not be able to reach $8m this weekend. 

2 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

(scratch that, BOM isn't working right now).  I've been following Homecoming's bo run very closely, comparing it with GotG, SS, SM3 and Secret Life of Pets. All of them hold at least 100 more theaters on its fifth weekend. I honestly think it'll not be able to reach $8m this weekend. 

In the case of Suicide Squad and GOTG, those were August releases. There was nothing releasing on their 5th weekends.

3000 theaters is a very wide release. If people want to see Spider-Man Homecoming, 98% of America will be able to find a theater to do so

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MrPink said:

In the case of Suicide Squad and GOTG, those were August releases. There was nothing releasing on their 5th weekends.

3000 theaters is a very wide release. If people want to see Spider-Man Homecoming, 98% of America will be able to find a theater to do so

I'm aware that it's a very wide release. It's just a shorter theater count than all of the films I've mentioned tho, below what I was expecting. I was thinking 3200-3300. 

6 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

I'm aware that it's a very wide release. It's just a shorter theater count than all of the films I've mentioned tho, below what I was expecting. I was thinking 3200-3300. 

So... It's theater count is about 100 less than you expected? I mean, honestly, that's nothing. It's still in a ton of theaters and on enough screens for those that want to see it to see it. It's non issue and shouldn't impact it. It's going to gross less than $10M regardless this weekend. It doesn't need 3300 or 3400 theaters to do that.

5 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

100-200 theaters when it's still in a ton of theaters is not gonna mean the difference here. Think it can hit 8 pretty comfortably, especially if Sony is inclined to do double features with Dark Tower.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Not like you can top Morgan Freeman and Michael Caine in those type of mentor roles we see with Q/M in the Bond series. 

I realize he grew up loving Bond and it has influenced at least 4 of his movies, but I would be pretty disappointed if he jumps into the Bond franchise. Much rather see more original Nolan projects. 

Plus the Bond producers have their own set of rules, so it's unlikely he'd be entirely allowed to have complete creative control over a Bond film, no matter his success. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iJackSparrow said:

This decline for Homecoming is STEEP. Way above what I was expecting, $8m has now become the best possible scenario for the weekend, and I wouldn't rule it out high $6m's for it either. Both SS and GotG managed to keep more theaters on its fifth weekend. :sadben:

Same 500ish theater drop WW had for weekend #5...not a big deal:)...it's still over 3K and that's a great 5th weekend theater number...hopefully, it has a similar small drop in weekend #6, b/c then it's solid through Labor Day...

That Valerian theater drop is hilarious. Dunkirk expansion is always great news of course. Im also happy that Apes didnt loose too many theaters. 20% is steep but it could have been worse. That movie needs all the support.

• Like 2

Just now, Brainbug said:

That Valerian theater drop is hilarious. Dunkirk expansion is always great news of course. Im also happy that Apes didnt loose too many theaters. 20% is steep but it could have been worse. That movie needs all the support.

Apes got a nice reprieve...however, I think it's in danger for a big drop next weekend, as well as DM3 and maybe Atomic Blonde if it doesn't have a good hold this weekend, to make room for whatever theaters were nutty enough to book Nut Job Never Again and the other wide releases...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

It will do 8.5M.

6 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

See those 3,000+ theaters for Detroit? That is going to be the last time Annapurna gets 3k theaters for a long ass time, if ever again (unless they get Bond).

You think it won't even do 10M?

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

You think it won't even do 10M?

I don't think it's sniffing $10M. 

The 7PM showing has sold 7 seats. The 10PM showing has sold zero. This is at one of the busier theaters in the area. 

At my other theater the 7PM showing has sold 4 tickets and the 10PM showing has sold a whopping one ticket. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

266 new theaters with Dunkirk should be very helpful. Sub-40% drop for the weekend seems quite possible now, especially after the strong Tuesday/Wednesday numbers. 

8 minutes ago, Nova said:

I don't think it's sniffing $10M. 

The 7PM showing has sold 7 seats. The 10PM showing has sold zero. This is at one of the busier theaters in the area. 

At my other theater the 7PM showing has sold 4 tickets and the 10PM showing has sold a whopping one ticket. 

My 1st local has just 1 7pm showing for Detroit - 36/110 sold 15 minutes to showtime...other has it twice, but in its smallest theater (60 seats) and has sold 12/120 (10 seats for 7pm)...that is low, since this movie should sell here...

And speaking of 1st local, all 3 new movies just got the 7pm showings (1 from Apes, Valerian, and DM3)...those movies all got their showings back for 10pm...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1