Alli

Weekend Thread. Dark Tower 19.5...Dunkirk 17.6....Emoji 12.3...Girls Trip 11.4 not sure what page| Not the sex thread

With Detroit, I feel the same way as with Apes. Audiences don't want to sit through things reflecting the political reality in theaters and just want to get away from the news cycle for a few hours. I can't blame audiences for staying away from what looked like a grueling watch and instead opting for more pure entertainment options instead. Detroit won't make the awards season now for sure.

• Like 1

Just now, filmlover said:

Detroit is basically Fruitvale Station 2.0. People just did not want to go out to the theater to endure this.

Can't blame them given all the crap going on in the real world. Release date is not great either. Most people want escapism during the summer. 

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

With Detroit, I feel the same way as with Apes. Audiences don't want to sit through things reflecting the political reality in theaters and just want to get away from the news cycle for a few hours. I can't blame audiences for staying away from what looked like a grueling watch and instead opting for more pure entertainment options instead. Detroit won't make the awards season now for sure.

Especially when - not to start a political discussion - we have a president that's going on TV saying that police brutality is A-OK.

5 minutes ago, That Floating Guy said:

My favorite movie of the year was #1 for one weekend and plummeted to 4th on its second weekend :sparta: 

At least you got to experience it in the cinema, and leave the theater amazed, underperforming or not. Ape-terrific. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, grim22 said:

You think box office will have that much impact on Detroit's award chances? Release date is a problem (too early). But it has the subject matter, critical support, and a very respected production team. Would be surprised if it doesn't receive nominations in the major categories.