Alli

Weekend Thread. Dark Tower 19.5...Dunkirk 17.6....Emoji 12.3...Girls Trip 11.4 not sure what page| Not the sex thread

Detroit probably still would have struggled if it was released closer to awards season. It's not the kind of movie that people would flock to even if it had a few nominations to its name, and I could see it getting lost in the shuffle against other Oscar films.

• Like 1

Man, I gotta reiterate how much of an indication Pulse is on how well films are gonna do. TDT was almost even with AB (from last week that is) all week in terms of tickets sold on Pulse and it looks like it's Friday gross will be very close. Kidnap also gained quickly on Detroit early in the week. Fandango law is the only rule of thumb I subscribe to these days.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dragon said:

Saw girls trip. Deserves every penny it gets. Might go for seconds.

Agreed. The movie is hysterical but it's not a comic book hero or sci fi or action film and there are no white stars in it so many people here will refuse to see it.

8 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

I love how they're scrambling to find a BP contender when Wind River could easily be it:

Critics and audiences love it

The Academy loved HOHW and gave Sicario a few nominations

Jeremy Renner is an Academy-friendly name

They're fucking this up big time. Hopefully it does very well this weekend to knock some sense into them.

I'd be pretty surprised if it was a BP contender.

• Like 1

Just now, LonePirate said:

Agreed. The movie is hysterical but it's not a comic book hero or sci fi or action film and there are no white stars in it so many people here will refuse to see it.

Seeing it's box office performance and comments from posters here, many have seen it. And very few watched rough night. Don't know what it has to do with having white stars.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

As redifinebird said, movieticket %s are a good indicator too. 

Yup. Presales are without a doubt the most accurate source for predictions right now.

What's more is I noticed Kidnap popping up every once in a while on Pulse for the past two weeks (almost as much as AB prior to its release week) and I was wondering from the get go if it would exceed expectations. On the flip side, Detroit was barely popping up at all even when it was in limited release.

Sorry to bring the convo back to IT, but I am SO impatient to see how it does on Pulse.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

The Oscars fucking up the Moonlight Best Pic announcement will never NOT be funny!
tucci.png

Instead of being a moron, the announcer should stopped the whole thing after seeing the only words on the paper was "Emma Stone".

Do you ever not try to be as obtuse and openly antagonistic as possible? Lmao

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, aabattery said:

I'd be pretty surprised if it was a BP contender.

Yeah, so far Wind River has very good reviews but there are five other movies currently in the top 10 (not even counting Detroit) that have better and of those probably only Dunkirk will get anything other an a VFX, make up or costume nom.

• Like 2

Just now, TalismanRing said:

Yeah, so far Wind River has very good reviews but there are five other movies currently in the top 10 (not even counting Detroit) that have better and of those probably only Dunkirk will get anything other an a VFX, make up or costume nom.

But what else does Weinstein have?  Current War is apparently a piece of shit and Mary Magdalene will probably be too controversial.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MrPink said:

So around 18 mil for Dark Tower? Unless it really tanks tomorrow.

Around 17 mil for Dunkirk.

I think it's gonna pull an Emoji and drop on Saturday from true Friday. 

PRE - $1.8m

FRI - $5.7m

SAT - $5.4m (-5%)

SUN - $4.1m (-24%)

That's $17 million. Could be a very tight finish between Dark Tower and Dunkirk.