CJohn

WEEKEND THREAD | ANNABELLE 2 - $35m; DUNKIRK - $11.4m; NUT JOB 2 - $8.9m; BABY DRIVER Crosses $100m!!!

33 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

I'm legit angry that Emoji is doing well, it should have been rejected by the public and flopped completely like what's going on with Nut Job 2.

Now we are getting an Emoji Cinematic Universe. Damn.

See that's the thing, I think it's the premise of the movie that's being rejected rather than the actual quality of the final product.

Reminds me of Ghostbusters, where everyone just got on board the hate train when in reality the movie was kinda good

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, DAJK said:

See that's the thing, I think it's the premise of the movie that's being rejected rather than the actual quality of the final product.

Reminds me of Ghostbusters, where everyone just got on board the hate train when in reality the movie was kinda good

Nah, the movie is just that bad.  At least in my opinion.

1 hour ago, EmpireCity said:

Dunkirk should be at $165m on 8/20.  Around $173m on 8/27. 

$185m seems about right with a shot at $200m with a healthy re-release at some point.  

with 8 million next weekend, it could be at 167 on 8/20

then around 176 on 8/27

maybe 185 on LABOR DAY :worthy:

• Like 1

Emoji shows how animations can be lucrative. DM3 is a great example on a larger scale. Honestly only DM1 was good for me (didn't watch DM3 after DM2 and Minions). But DM franchise has been insane money-making bonanza. Yes once in a while an animation too will fail like NJ2. But that too considering it's small budget won't loose money once auxiliary revenue is done.

Animations can also be great for mechandizing like CBMs.

Warner Bros really need to do something with WAG. That's the only thing missing really from their repertoire. Nolan wants to do Bond but animation would be a bigger challenge. I hope he does it. His name will pull enough people.

12 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

http://deadline.com/2017/08/ingrid-goes-west-good-time-specialty-box-office-1202147850/

Both Ingrid Goes West and Good Time are skewing younger, expand into top markets next week, and go wide on the 25th.

Wind River expands into 600-700 theaters next weekend.

Step expands into 200-250 theaters next weekend.

The Only Living Boy in New York is adding a few more theaters next weekend and 300-400 on the 25th.

do you think Inconvenient Sequel will expand more??

How many theaters do you consider 'top markets' for Ingrid and Good Time to expand to next week?  I am guessing something like 40 to 50?? 

On the 25th, it says Ingrid, Good Time, and Boy in NY go 'wide'.  Do you think wide is like the 600-700 Wind River is getting??   I think it is anything above 600, but what about Inconvenient Sequel which is at around 550 (and same for The Dinner when it was released)

14 minutes ago, aabattery said:

For those wondering, Valerian is $5,488,011 behind The Great Wall at the same point ($43,836,005  vs $38,347,994). Looking quite likely that it'll win out this enthralling match-up. 

Victory for @MrPink.

Victory?  Tomato Law declares Valerian to be the victor in the critical reception matchup.  A slight victory at most for Great Wall, it appears.

46 minutes ago, aabattery said:

For those wondering, Valerian is $5,488,011 behind The Great Wall at the same point ($43,836,005  vs $38,347,994). Looking quite likely that it'll win out this enthralling match-up. 

Victory for @MrPink.

Good news is that both of them beat Arthur.

(Val is 0.9 behind Arthur and should add that much with ease after a weekend of 0.9 even with 60%+ drops)

The list of movies that beat Arthur is pretty (un)impressive http://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?yr=2017&p=.htm

2 hours ago, a2knet said:

Emoji shows how animations can be lucrative. DM3 is a great example on a larger scale. Honestly only DM1 was good for me (didn't watch DM3 after DM2 and Minions). But DM franchise has been insane money-making bonanza. Yes once in a while an animation too will fail like NJ2. But that too considering it's small budget won't loose money once auxiliary revenue is done.

Animations can also be great for mechandizing like CBMs.

Warner Bros really need to do something with WAG. That's the only thing missing really from their repertoire. Nolan wants to do Bond but animation would be a bigger challenge. I hope he does it. His name will pull enough people.

Seems like they created a committee following Lego Movie. And they banked way to hard on Lego's popularity.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, thelich343 said:

Seems like they created a committee following Lego Movie. And they banked way to hard on Lego's popularity.

True. Lego Bat though a hit, did below expectations. Especially OS. Lego2 will have Wondy so that might help somewhat but won't come close to the first one imo.

Edited by a2knet

4 hours ago, DAJK said:

He pretty much nailes what enrages people about this shit. Its not only the premise alone, its far worse.

6 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

He pretty much nailes what enrages people about this shit. Its not only the premise alone, its far worse.

Yea I saw that video a while before seeing the movie :lol:

I dunno, I just didn't have a problem with it, and just watched it as a harmless piece of 90 minute entertainment. I didn't really look too deep into it.

I am looking at The Conjuring series on BOM and I realize it must be (at least theatrical release wise), one of the most lucrative franchises in the business at the moment. It is basically printing money for WB on ridiculously small budgets. If Annabelle gets to 300m WW, and I think it will (actually, I think it will beat TC2's 320m for the biggest movie of the franchise), on a 15m budget, there's no way it is not in the yearly Top 15 most profitable movies. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Matrix4You said:

do you think Inconvenient Sequel will expand more??

How many theaters do you consider 'top markets' for Ingrid and Good Time to expand to next week?  I am guessing something like 40 to 50?? 

On the 25th, it says Ingrid, Good Time, and Boy in NY go 'wide'.  Do you think wide is like the 600-700 Wind River is getting??   I think it is anything above 600, but what about Inconvenient Sequel which is at around 550 (and same for The Dinner when it was released)

An Inconvenient Sequel is done expanding. It had a terrible PTA. If it expands next weekend, it'll be a very small one.

Top markets is likely going to be 40-50.

Boy in NY is only going into 300-400 theaters. I expect Ingrid and Good Time to break 1k theaters given the weak market.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, That Floating Guy said:

Victory?  Tomato Law declares Valerian to be the victor in the critical reception matchup.  A slight victory at most for Great Wall, it appears.

The Law is dead.

In the war of Sci-Fi/Fantasy Flops, no one could make it past the Great Wall. Yimou powah

• Like 1

@MCKillswitch123 Horror OW record here has been absolutely smashed as Annabelle Creation flied past The Conjuring 2 (I will remind you that The Conjuring 2 OW had an holiday on Friday which inflated his gross). With the holiday tomorrow, I expect the total week numbers to be absolutely unheard of for the genre here as it will sure pass the total of The Conjuring until Thursday (Annabelle should go down sometime over next weekend). The TCU is a beast. It is the only successful horror franchise to breakout so big into the mainstream. Paranormal Activity, Friday the 13th, SAW, etc, were miles away from these numbers.

Not even NOS could save Atomic Blonde, tho.

http://www.ica-ip.pt/fotos/downloads/ranking_fds_10_a_13_agosto_2017_141900442259919cd70646a.pdf

• Like 3

Before the first Conjuring movie, only two Horror movies grossed more than $300m WW.

With Annabelle tracking for at least $300m WW, we may have FIVE Horror movies grossing more than $300m WW, with 3 coming from the same franchise.

And to think that it all started with a small Horror movie being released in the 2013 Summer.

James Wan is making history. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, James said:

I am looking at The Conjuring series on BOM and I realize it must be (at least theatrical release wise), one of the most lucrative franchises in the business at the moment. It is basically printing money for WB on ridiculously small budgets. If Annabelle gets to 300m WW, and I think it will (actually, I think it will beat TC2's 320m for the biggest movie of the franchise), on a 15m budget, there's no way it is not in the yearly Top 15 most profitable movies. 

Both TC movies were in the top 15 of the annual Deadline's most profitable movies list, and the only reason why the first Annabelle didn't appear, is because they only track movies that grossed more than $100m DOM. 

This franchise is almost on par with DCU for them when it comes to profits. 

4 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

Both TC movies were in the top 15 of the annual Deadline's most profitable movies list, and the only reason why the first Annabelle didn't appear, is because they only track movies that grossed more than $100m DOM. 

That's not true, Don't Breathe was on the 2016 list and that didn't hit $100 million