baumer

BOT---Revisiting the top 25 of 1987.....We have a tie at number 1!!

Spoiler

Full Metal Jacket

Written by:  Stanley Kubrick, Michael Herr, Gustav Hasford

Directed by Stanley Kubrick

Starring:  Mathew Modine, R. Lee Ermey, Vincent D'Onofrio

maxresdefault.jpg

Through Warner Bros., Kubrick advertised a national casting search in the United States and Canada. The director used videotape to audition actors and received over 3,000 submissions. His staff screened all of the tapes, leaving 800 of them for Kubrick to review personally.

Former U.S. Marine Drill Instructor Ermey, originally hired as a technical advisor, asked Kubrick if he could audition for the role of Hartman. Kubrick had seen Ermey's portrayal of Drill Instructor Staff Sergeant Loyce in The Boys in Company C (1978) and told the Marine that he was not vicious enough to play the character. Ermey improvised insulting dialogue against a group of Royal Marines who were being considered for the part of background Marines, to demonstrate his ability to play the character, as well as to show how a Drill Instructor goes about breaking down the individuality of new recruits. Upon viewing the videotape of these sessions, Kubrick gave Ermey the role, realizing he "was a genius for this part." Kubrick also incorporated the 250-page transcript of Ermey's rants into the script. Ermey's experience as a Drill Instructor during the Vietnam era proved invaluable. Kubrick estimated that Ermey wrote 50% of his own dialogue, especially the insults.

While Ermey practiced his lines in a rehearsal room, a production assistant would throw tennis balls and oranges at him. Ermey had to catch the ball and throw it back as quickly as possible, while at the same time saying his lines as fast as he could. Any hesitation, slur, or missed line would necessitate starting over. Twenty error-free runs were required. "[He] was my drill instructor", Ermey said of the production assistant.

The original casting plan had Anthony Michael Hall starring as Private Joker. After eight months of negotiations, a deal between Kubrick and Hall fell through. It

s too bad that Hall, the noted "geek" in many John Hughes films, couldn't just sing on the dotted line.  It would have been quite the dynamic to see an actor like him in a role like this.

Kubrick offered Bruce Willis a role, but the actor had to turn it down because he was to start filming of the first six episodes of his TV series Moonlighting.

Full Metal Jacket, along with Platoon, are considered the best of the 80's Vietnam films.  It has one of the coolest tag lines, imo.  "In Vietnam, the wind doesn't blow, it sucks."

Number of First Place Votes:  1

Imdb summary:  A pragmatic U.S. Marine observes the dehumanizing effects the Vietnam War has on his fellow recruits from their brutal boot camp training to the bloody street fighting in Hue.

Tomato Meter:  95%, 8.3/10

Academy Awards:  One nomination

Random Critic Comment:  Full Metal Jacket, produced, directed and co-written by Stanley Kubrick, is not an easy film to watch, but from the first frame to the last, it is a riveting one...Cathy Burke--United Press

Random Forum Comment:  Full Metal Jacket is a stunning examination of the Vietnam War and the culture such a setting inspires. The entire cast is excellent and Kubrick directs with confidence, knowing well that the story is strong enough to make the points he wants to make....  @Blankments

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

I'm an idiot. For whatever reason I thought yesterday that it was Lethal Weapon 2 that was in 1987. The first one makes total sense in the top 5 obviously.

Ahh, that makes sense. :)

15 hours ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

#6 (The film that many thought would be number one)

Reveal hidden contents

One of my favorite movies of all time..  @The Stingray

Can't believe it didn't make the Top 1. Oh well, Robocop will have to do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jay Hollywood said:

Lame the Running Man didnt make the list. 

Not enough people seem to care for it, so I can't say I'm surprised. It's a fun Arnold film with some good one-liners per usual though "Killian, here's your subzero, now plain zero!"

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Not enough people seem to care for it, so I can't say I'm surprised. It's a fun Arnold film with some good one-liners per usual though "Killian, here's your subzero, now plain zero!"

Killian....ill be back.

Only in a rerun. 

:redcapes:

• Like 3

Spoiler

The Princess Bride

Written William Goldman (who should have won best screenplay)

Directed by Rob Reiner

Starring:  Carey Elwes, Robin Wright, Andre the Giant, Chris Sarandon, Mandy Patinkin, Billy Crystal and Annie Potts, Fred Savage, Peter Falk, Chris Guest, Wallace Shawn

MOV_922e9ed7_b.jpg

The Princess Bride is perhaps of the most beloved films of all time.  The simple and sweet story appealed to almost everyone.  From the terrific screenplay by Goldman to the eclectic cast to the filming locations to the humour and to love the love story, this all clicked.  

Cary Elwes and Mandy Patinkin learned to fence (both left- and right-handed) for the film (reportedly spending all their free time during the production practicing with fencing instructors Bob Anderson and Peter Diamond, and with each other). The actors performed all of the fencing in the sword fight scene personally, although stunt doubles were used for the two somersaults.

Popular professional wrestler André the Giant had undergone major back surgery prior to filming and, despite his great size and strength, could not support the weight of Cary Elwes during their fight scene or Robin Wright for a scene at the end of the film. For the wrestling scene, when Elwes was pretending to hang on André's back, he was actually walking on a series of ramps below the camera during close-ups. For the wide shots, a stunt double took the place of André. When he was apparently carrying Wright, she was actually suspended by cables.

Buttercup and Westley were totally hot for each other in real life. Elwes remembering the first time he met then-20-year-old Robin Wright, then a soap opera star: “It was as if I were looking at a young Grace Kelly, she was that beautiful,” Elwes confessed. “I couldn't concentrate on much of anything after that first encounter with Robin.” It was mutual. “I was absolutely smitten with Cary,” Wright confesses. “So obviously that helped our on-screen chemistry.”  To this day the two are still close and Elwes even sent her heartfelt birthday wishes a few months ago.

The Princess Bride is a classic in every sense of the word.  For me personally, I don't see how anyone could truly dislike it.

Although it was a modest hit, taking in 30 million domestic, it has gone on the become a revered classic.

Number of first place votes:  3

Imdb Summary:  When the lovely Buttercup is kidnapped by a ghastly gang intent on fermenting an international incident they find they are pursued by the Dread Pirate Roberts who just might be Westley, her one true love.

Tomato Meter:  97%, 8.3/10 (only two rotten reviews out of 64.)  (and this begs the question, who are the two twats who gave it a rotten score?)

Academy Awards:  Nominated for one cock-a-doodie oscar...ONE.  

Random Critic Comment:  In spirit The Princess Bride recalls The Neverending Story, which also was about a contemporary boy`s fantastic adventure. Reiner's film is likely to please adults more than kids and to last in memory more than most films this fall....Candice Russell--South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Random User Comment:  You Kill my father, prepare to die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A-

@Lordmandeep

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

40:  Stakeout (Dreyfuss and Estevez are terrific in this buddy cop comedy)

41:  The Brave Little Toaster

42:  Roxanne

43:  Can't Buy Me Love (Amanda Petersen was so beautiful, sadly she passed away way too early)

44:  Monster Squad

45:  Hope and Glory

46:  Hollywood Shuffle

47:  La Bamba 

48:  Raw (Eddie Murphy's follow up to Delirious, not quite as funny but still made a pile of money)

49:  The Hidden (the original body switch possession horror movie)

• Like 4

30:  The Running Man (Arnold and Jessie again)

31:  The Living Daylifghts

32:  Radio Days

33:  No Way Out (A political murder mystery with Costner and Hackman...the kind of film that is not made anymore)

34:  Overboard

35:  Moonstruck (Cher won best actress)

36:  Adventures in Babysitting

37:  Dirty Dancing (one of the most influential films of the 80's, no joke)

38:  Some Kind of Wonderful (John Hughes wanted Molly  Ringwald to play the lead character, she declined and he never spoke to her again.  The director Howard Deutch and the lead actress Lea Thompson fell in love on the set and got married and had a child...Zoey Deutch)

39:  Cry Freddom

• Like 3

And we have a tie at number one....they received the exact same score, although if you want to get technical, one film received one first place vote while the other had 0.....but...here we go

• Like 2

#1 (tied)

Spoiler

Robocop

Written by Edward Neumeier

Directed by Paul Verhoeven

Starring:  Peter Weller, Nancy Allen, Ronny Cox

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTN-L826XBqHvKT3MwMlTP

Neumeier stated that he first got the idea of RoboCop when he walked with a friend past a poster for Blade Runner. He asked his friend what the film was about and his friend replied, "It's about a cop hunting robots". For him, this sparked the idea about a robot cop. Allegedly, while the two were attempting to pitch the screenplay to Hollywood executives, they were accidentally stranded at an airplane terminal with a high-ranking movie executive for several hours. Here, they were able to speak to him about the project, and thus began the series of events which eventually gave rise to RoboCop.

On the Criterion Edition audio commentary, Verhoeven recalls that, when he first glanced through the script, he discarded it in disgust. Afterwards, his wife, after picking the script from the bin and reading it more thoroughly, convinced him that the plot had more substance than he had originally assumed. Repo Man director Alex Cox was offered the opportunity to direct before Verhoeven came aboard. Kenneth Johnson, creator of television series V, The Bionic Woman, and The Incredible Hulk, said that he was offered the chance to direct, but turned it down when he was not allowed to change aspects of the script that he considered to be "mean-spirited, ugly and ultra-violent."

Robocop is one of the more violent films of the 80's with gallons of fake blood used on the set.  

Paul Verhoeven and Rob Bottin (after Rick Baker is probably considered the best make-up artist of the 80's) clashed repeatedly before and during production over the design and make-up of the RoboCop character. What they argued most about was the scene where Murphy takes off his helmet. Bottin wanted the scene to be filmed in a darkened area, fearing that harsh light would reveal too much of the make-up effects; Verhoeven wanted the scene to be filmed as brightly as possible, citing that director of photography Jost Vacano would be able to light it properly without revealing anything. Verhoeven got his way and Bottin refused to talk to him any further for the remainder of production. However, at the premiere, both men were so impressed with how the scene had turned out, that they instantly forgave each other. Bottin, who had even vowed to never again work with Verhoeven, happily accepted the offer to work on Verhoeven's next project, Total Recall (1990).

Robocop took in 54 million in Us/Canada

Number of First Place votes:  0

Imdb Summary:  In a dystopic and crime-ridden Detroit, a terminally wounded cop returns to the force as a powerful cyborg haunted by submerged memories.

Tomato Meter:  88%, 7.8/10

Academy Awards:  Nominated for 2 and won a special achievement award for sound effects editing.

Random Critic Comment:  A sci-fi action film with a silly title that turned out to be a biting satire of big business practices.  ---James Berardinelli Reel Views

Random Forum Comment:  My brother also showed me Robocop when I was about that age and Alex Murphy's death has stuck with me ever since. I have a very hard time watching the first half of Robocop as a result.  @MrPink

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

41:  The Brave Little Toaster

On 8/21/2017 at 7:19 PM, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

#83) Brave Little Toaster

Uhhhh......

I think @grim22 and @Squadron Leader Tele really should have given their master list a final pass

• Like 2
  • Sad 1