CJohn

STEPHEN KING'S IT WEEKEND THREAD | 117.15 Mill!....NO SPOILERS..NOT EVEN IN TAGS!

Just now, Rman823 said:

When the other trailers were Happy Death Day, Flatliners, Jigsaw, Justice League, and Geostorm :sparta:it makes it stand out even more. 

That's random :lol: A Ghost Story finished expanding like a month ago. The theater probably just saw GHOST in the title and figured it be a good fit.

• Haha 1

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

That's random :lol: A Ghost Story finished expanding like a month ago. The theater probably just saw GHOST in the title and figured it be a good fit.

A few theaters rereleasing It Comes At Night this weekend, hoping that some spillover goes to that movie probably 

We all love the "slowed down creepy versions of pop songs" trend in movies, and last night I saw a preview that used a slowed down creepy version of fucking 50 Cent's In Da Club. I busted out laughing. That had to be a parody, right?

12 hours ago, YSLDC said:

Hellllooooo... Universal? Like, they're leading this year, if you haven't noticed. 

Other than Pitch Perfect 3 at the end of December, Universal is basically done for the year. Warners still has It coming out right now and Blade Runner and Justice League coming out later this year as well. They'll overtake Universal easily.

January 1–September 4, 2017

Rank Distributor MarketShare TotalGross* MoviesTracked 2017Movies**
1 Buena Vista 18.5% $1,400.4 9 5
2 Universal 17.6% $1,331.9 11 9
3 Warner Bros. 16.6% $1,260.7 25 12

So, anyone not on my "Warners will break it's all-time domestic take this year" train? Current total stands at $1260.7. Surpassing number 2 $1923.9 (2010) and number 3 $1902.2 (2016) I think are a given. All time is $2105.7 (2009).

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

We all love the "slowed down creepy versions of pop songs" trend in movies, and last night I saw a preview that used a slowed down creepy version of fucking 50 Cent's In Da Club. I busted out laughing. That had to be a parody, right?

The movie looks like it's going to be a horror comedy so I don't think it's supposed to be taken seriously. 

6 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

3 minutes ago, Rman823 said:

The movie looks like it's going to be a horror comedy so I don't think it's supposed to be taken seriously. 

Happy Death Day would be funnier if it isn't self-aware :lol: 

37 minutes ago, The Stingray said:

It's sad, but I think you have to come to terms with the fact that they don't make big budget horror movies that are subtle and emphasize atmosphere and slow-burn tension anymore. What people want are haunted house rides.

It's not even like I demand all modern horror movies to be like The Innocents or The Witch or something. But there has to be some middle ground between that and a horror movie that's just a non-stop pile-up of incidents with no room to breathe in between them. The latter is what IT is, and that structure (or lack thereof) essentially says that the movie doesn't trust its own audience. It's even worse because the kids are good enough that I would have happily watched an entire movie of them just hanging out, Stand by Me style, with no horror tricks to distract me. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jake Gittes said:

It's not even like I demand all modern horror movies to be like The Innocents or The Witch or something. But there has to be some middle ground between that and a horror movie that's just a non-stop pile-up of incidents with no room to breathe in between them. The latter is what IT is, and that structure (or lack thereof) essentially says that the movie doesn't trust its own audience. It's even worse because the kids are good enough that I would have happily watched an entire movie of them just hanging out, Stand by Me style, with no horror tricks to distract me. 

Next week, Jake. Next week.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, grim22 said:

This line from the Deadline report made me laugh, coming a month after The Dark Tower

Tim Curry's Pennywise and the miniseries as well as Stranger Things which was a pastiche of this probably had a bigger impact on moviegoers than a King endorsement 

yeah, Stephen King has had many flops. A combination of people waiting for a movie for more than two decades, nostalgia from the miniseries, fantastic trailers, and maybe even Stranger Things is powering this weekend

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

It's a little theory of mine. My point is that big preview numbers / opening weekend for It would mean that the hype factor surrounding Thor: Ragnarok is real. I'm willing to adjust my Thor: Ragnarok actual predictions ($110m OW - $315m DOM) depending on how well It does. No one needs to see it like I'm seeing, but I do see a parallel.

There's nothing in common between Thor and IT though. The demographics they're targeting are so vastly different (R-rated, nostalgic horror reboot vs. third instalment in a mega superhero franchise). Ie; just because Get Out did over $175m, doesn't mean that War for the apes would outgross it on merit of being an easier sell on paper.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, YourMother said:

3. I'm pretty sure Laika's might not happen but WAG has a June film.

Well, I said 3, so... :P It's not on the calendar on Wikipedia, but... if you say so. It would be STUUUUPID on their part to open an animated movie in the same month as The Incredibles 2, though. I think Laika's movie has a far better shot of happening in the scheduled month (May).

2 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Well, I said 3, so... :P It's not on the calendar on Wikipedia, but... if you say so. It would be STUUUUPID on their part to open an animated movie in the same month as The Incredibles 2, though. I think Laika's movie has a far better shot of happening in the scheduled month (May).

Still but stop motion takes more time than CGI or potentially Hand Drawn and WB dated it recently.

30 minutes ago, Rman823 said:

Yeah it is a self aware horror film. The audience in my showing liked the trailer and I heard a lot of positive buzz after the trailer. 

14 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Still but stop motion takes more time than CGI or potentially Hand Drawn and WB dated it recently.

Fair point, but WB is taking a harsh gambit if they're actually going forward with that idea. Captain Underpants did good business, but it was a very low budget movie based off of a popular comic series. WAG's lowest budgets to date have been in the 60-70 range, and unless we're talking a Zootopia or Inside Out type phenomenon...... which probably wouldn't be the case (more like CU or Storks numbers), or unless this one movie is on the same kind of budget, it's not looking to be too profitable. Not off of DOM, at least.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 1