CJohn

STEPHEN KING'S IT WEEKEND THREAD | 117.15 Mill!....NO SPOILERS..NOT EVEN IN TAGS!

Just now, DAR said:

Overall this could be a new coveted date for studios especially if August continues to be a stink bomb.

The weekend after Labor Day has proven to be lucrative in recent years between Contagion, The Visit, The Perfect Guy, Sully, and now IT. Won't surprise me if it's seen as a coveted spot to open a movie going forward.

3 minutes ago, DAR said:

Overall this could be a new coveted date for studios especially if August continues to be a stink bomb.

August isn't a stink bomb. It's that the studios didn't release anything this year. It's actually an advantageous release date since you get summer days and Labor Day

• Like 2

AM Update:

The first showing of It sold 47 seats, and the 11:45 show is at 19 and counting.

Home Again's show starting now has sold 14 seats. This is a little less than Logan Lucky's first show on OD.

9/11 starts in 30 minutes and still hasn't sold anything :lol: 

Wind River collapsed hard; the show in 5 minutes has only sold 2 seats.

4 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I had it about 10 or 11 for a 70-73 OW, I'll now up that to 75-80 OW as my range. I still think 1. Naturally Frontloaded franchise horror film 2. Hurricane 3. Football means 100 ain't happening, and 90 is one the edge of probability. But still....80m OW for an R Rated horror film against these circumstances? Unreal.

Think everyone is overestimating football.  Unlike Game of Thrones effect football is early esp if you're west coast.  The people who have to watch 3 football games in a row either aren't the market for this or will watch it another day.  

Also, someone on HSX posted that their local theaters had all IT showings sold out despite being deep in Patriots country.  Just one anecdote though

1 minute ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

2017 will produce the biggest and the second biggest* Horror movies of century. :ohmygod: 

*Unless you consider The Sixth Sense as Horror. 

Sixth Sense was last century.  So biggest and second biggest are a given

• Thanks 1

Just now, SuperBatman said:

They would have to cast for all 7 losers pretty fast for that to happen. I suspect chapter 2 will come out in 2019.

After this opening I'm sure it won't be difficult to put a cast together (if they haven't already and are waiting a bit to announce them). All depends on whose schedule is cleared in the near future.

I totally won't be surprised if next weekend's releases each end up getting multiple screens at midsize theaters; the holdovers are selling like dogshit, and the non-It openers aren't selling well if my theater is anything to go by.

Edited by WrathOfHan