WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 77): It 60.1M | American Assassin 14.8M | JLaw's Original Sin 7.5M

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

The majority of critics are positive with some being very passionate. This won't end up like other bombs such as Steve Jobs and soon Detroit. mother! will be remembered for a while, and Paramount doesn't have much else to campaign for.

Detroit got better reviews than mother! though :)

The problem with mother! Isn't that it's a middle of the ground film. The problem is that those who do not like it, hate it. And those who do like it, love it. The problem starts coming in when those who didn't like it, have a say. Its not going to get any "I'll let it slide" points from the crowd who disliked it. 

• Like 2

The categories mother! has a chance at getting nominated in from best to worst:

Sound Editing: At the very least I expect it to get in here. The film has fucking insane sound effects.

Supporting Actress: This category is a little weak and some contenders are losing steam. I expect Pfeiffer to get a Globe nomination and show up here too.

Cinematography: The same cinematographer got nominated for Black Swan, and the film has a very unique filming style. It's competing for the last two spots with Darkest Hour, Call Me by Your Name, and Wonder Wheel.

Production Design: As the film grows more divisive, I'm feeling less confident here.

Director: Very unlikely to happen, but the branch is small enough for a WTF nomination to occur. 

• Like 1

Just now, Nova said:

Detroit got better reviews than mother! though :)

The problem with mother! Isn't that it's a middle of the ground film. The problem is that those who do not like it, hate it. And those who do like it, love it. The problem starts coming in when those who didn't like it, have a say. Its not going to get any "I'll let it slide" points from the crowd who disliked it. 

Which will make it all the more fierce ;) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

If you asked anyone a month or two ago whether they think it'd be more likely for IT to have a 19.2M second Friday or a 19.2M second weekend, most people would probably pick the latter without much hesitation.

Craziest run since Deadpool. Definitely the event a lot thought it would be.

8 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

You don't honestly believe that mother has a chance of anything this year do you? Critics hate it in audiences hate it. It will get absolutely nothing

Not true, baumer.

I see Razzies in its future. :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

The categories mother! has a chance at getting nominated in from best to worst:

Sound Editing: At the very least I expect it to get in here. The film has fucking insane sound effects.

Supporting Actress: This category is a little weak and some contenders are losing steam. I expect Pfeiffer to get a Globe nomination and show up here too.

Cinematography: The same cinematographer got nominated for Black Swan, and the film has a very unique filming style. It's competing for the last two spots with Darkest Hour, Call Me by Your Name, and Wonder Wheel.

Production Design: As the film grows more divisive, I'm feeling less confident here.

Director: Very unlikely to happen, but the branch is small enough for a WTF nomination to occur. 

Best actress. 

• Like 2

No one's talking about Annabelle - more than understandly so, I'll say that - but that is yet another sub-50% Fri to Fri drop and over 200% Thu to Fri increase for this HORROR SPIN-OFF PREQUEL'S PREQUEL RELEASED IN AUGUST.

It's double feature effect is surely massive, but A:C is still a noteworthy performer on its very own.

• Like 2

As someone who attends several film festivals every year and gets to see indie and artsy films, Mother! is such a pretentious film and a failed attempt to make a smart film about religious and social themes.

The audience in Venice, who are not popcorn audience at all, booed the hell out of the film.

It's not that the film is a complex thinker that appeals to elite audiences. Rather, it is a vulgar piece of mess that thinks it's smart but its not.

I like Lawrence but she was so meh in the film imo, it's such a passive role and she reacts all the time and her character has no development - very thinly written. 

Edited by MinaTakla
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, straggler said:

I don't think they are dead at all. It would be a travesty if Jlaw was not at least nominated. Don't think it changes because it did not play like a rom-com. Most Oscar films are not box office hits. But I think thir peers will appreciate this. A crazy, intense, subversive piece of art. 

stop nominate JL for best actress, she has been nominated 4 times in less than 7 years....approaching "overrated" status!

• Like 1

I don't really see what mother could be nominated for outside of sound and maybe best actress. For films, I'd hope the academy would pick Dunkirk or Detroit over it.

It really depends on the fall lineup of Oscar bait (and I'm not in tune yet).

I think it's going to be out of theaters completely by the end of the month and become adored by people who like it on Bluray like a lot of these types of divisive art house style films but doubt it will get much recognition outside of that. 

• Like 1