WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 77): It 60.1M | American Assassin 14.8M | JLaw's Original Sin 7.5M

1 minute ago, Heretic said:

Huge for IT.

In the UK it's heading for a remarkable 2nd weekend, sub 40% drop after a record breaking opening. 

Thanks for that news. Word of mouth hit. What a difference a year makes for WB with regards to word of mouth for their 100+mil openers.

That's not a flop for mother! An art-house film that shouldn't have been released wide. Its range was 20-30m, maybe 30m+ if still playing in award season. Due to its wide release the numbers look bad but in the end its tally will be where it is expected to be.

Meanwhile WB is back in It! The yearly crown battle is wide open, will be a close race with Disney.

Edited by The Dark Alfred
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Literally your own words said that mother! isn't a horror movie, so why are you comparing it to other horror movies?

I don't think it's a horror movie. I don't think it's a thriller. I was categorizing it as a horror movie since that's what it's labeled as and they usually don't perform well at the box office when they score a C or lower on Cinemascore (and seeing as how it's marketed, unexpected audiences still think it is horror). I don't know what else to try to track it as. I guess a drama? An F would still be bad.

And it continues to fall on Flixster. Down to a 45% with a 2.6/5 rating. Only one digit to go before it's under It Comes At Night and it already is, as far as average rating. That was the last movie that pulled this bait and switch.

Edited by somebody85
  • Like 1

Huge number for It. I think Deadline are expecting that it will be like some other horror movies that can be very Friday-heavy, but there's every reason to expect that It will buck that trend for most of it's run. Simply too big of a hit.

That Spider-Man number is a pleasant surprise, but yeah, it'll be hurt by next week's duo of Ninjago and Kingsman. Those two are going to cause big drops next weekend for just about every movie not named It.

And speaking of, I still haven't seen It! We're finally going to go watch it on Monday.

Did see two movies last night though: The Mummy (meh) and Captain Fantastic (wow).

Suffice it to say Captain Fantastic was a great way to finish the evening.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

That's not a flop for mother! An art-house film that shouldn't have been released wide. Its range was 20-30m, maybe 30m+ if still playing in award season. Due to its wide release the numbers look bad but in the end its tally will be where it is expected to be.

Meanwhile WB is back in It! The yearly crown battle is wide open, will be a close race with Disney.

It won't be playing by next week.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 30/07/2017 at 7:34 PM, WrathOfHan said:

The biggest reason why I doubt this is doing over 130-140M is that the audience seems fairly narrow. This does look like a typical jumpscare movie, and it's based on a classic novel. If you're not a big fan of horror, will you go out of your way to see this? Get Out and Split did huge numbers largely because they were original ideas and fairly accessible to casual followers of the genre. With It, you know what you're getting into. Something like mother! can have long legs because it's original and you have no idea what type of film you're about to watch (especially amplified for mother!); It looks like standard horror fare however good or great it may be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9
  • Sad 3

I too got around 59 for IT from 18.5. It's a terrific hold and it's now going off into areas that we really haven't seen before 4 horror film. The thing just blew away the September opening weekend record and now it's going to have a drop that is under 50% if you take out the Thursday previews. This is really going to be a special run.

2 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

I too got around 59 for IT from 18.5. It's a terrific hold and it's now going off into areas that we really haven't seen before 4 horror film. The thing just blew away the September opening weekend record and now it's going to have a drop that is under 50% if you take out the Thursday previews. This is really going to be a special run.

With another good hold next weekend, we could see 3 35M+ movies in one weekend. Has this ever happenend in September?

• Like 1

Projection for Week Ahead for IT Best Case:

$19.2M (+166%)

$28.5M (+48%)

$17.4M (-39%) / $65.1M Weekend

$5.7M (-67.5%)

$7.3M (+27%)

$5.2M (-28%)

$4.9M (-6%)

246.9M in 14 Days

$11.8M (+140%)

$17.1M (+45%)

$10.2M (-40%) / $39.1M Weekend (-40%)

286M in 17 Days

Haven't been tracking THB run but I'm impressed with it. I wish it could have legged it out a bit more domestically but I'll take a $75-80M finish for it plus whatever it's making OS. I think it's at around $130M total so far with a few more big markets left (mainly China). Lionsgate got a W out of this one. 

I'm still shocked at American Assassin. A month ago I would have flipped AA and mother!'s numbers for OW. But after watching mother! I'm not the least bit surprised as to how bad it's doing. And the budget is $30M? Not good no matter how you want to spin it. I haven't seen American assassin and probably won't have time to because of school but good for it. 

• Like 2

Yeah, I think Lionsgate is actually having a pretty solid 2017, all things considered. THB was a big hit, John Wick 2 was a big hit, La La Land made the greater bulk of its money this year and it was a MASSIVE hit, The Shack overperformed big time, The Big Sick did very well, now American Assassin is doing ok too.... not bad, Lionsgate. Yeah, Power Rangers flopped, but one failure doesn't negate their overall pretty good year. And they still have Jigsaw, Madea Halloween 2, My Little Pony and some potential awards season hits (Wonder and Last Flag Flying) coming their way.

• Like 6