WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 77): It 60.1M | American Assassin 14.8M | JLaw's Original Sin 7.5M

Amazing drop for IT. I think actuals will be a little higher, like $61. Next weekend will be intersting, I think it will make +$35 and end with abut $330. AC, is holding really well, I can´t believe this year there will be 4 $100 horror movies. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MinaTakla said:

The 4 box office records smashed by DM3 this year are:

1. Highest grossing animated franchise of all time worldwide

2. Highest grossing animated franchise of all time OS *internationally*

3. Only franchise to have 2 films crossing 1B worldwide

4. Only franchise in history to have 3 films crossing 900m and 950m worldwide

Plus: Illumination is now the only animation studio to have 3 films crossing 900m worldwide in their original runs. Not even Disney or Pixar did this in original runs for anby of their films (Nemo crossed 900m in its 2nd DOM run)

In the words of Chris Meledandri: 

“The shadow of Disney is so large and looms so powerful that it’s shocking when we go head to head with them and we do beat them,” Meledandri said. He credited his films’ consistency and “populist” appeal.

Batman? Avengers? Middle Earth? Starwars? Transformers? 

Edited by Scubasteve716
Middle earth movies not Lord of the Rings

2 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I was referring to a few select people who constantly cheer it on and act like it passing $1B is something that everyone MUST talk about.  The reason people were talking so much about Moana is cause many people loved the movie.  Very few people here even liked DM3 (most people gave it C's in the RTM thread).

So you think that the fans that exaggerate more are Illumination fans in this forum? Are you kidding me? We have been talking about far less impressive performances x10000 more.

It's a comment or two every week. Is it so hard to ignore them If you don't want to talk about it?

Actually it is quite hard to be an Illumination fan here given how much hatred and negativity their films receive and how people don't care at all about the achievements of the studio.

If you don't want to discuss about it it's fine. But it would be nicer If you were equally annoyed by the constant negativity that has been spread a thousand times against DM3 and other Illumination films.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

If Nicole doesn't win Film Twitter (especially Gay Film Twitter, the Guy Lodges et al. of the film world) will literally revolt in the streets. 

Wait, are you saying Lange playing Joan Crawford doesn't have as much Gay support? ;)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Illumination consistently makes mediocre drivel that panders to what kids want to see rather than finding a middle ground between entertaining kids and adults.  I'm not going to cheer on or care about their films box-office wise if I don't like their films.

It's a shame more quality animated movies make less than most of Illumination.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

Wondering why BOM hasn't updated a foreign total for Hitman's Bodyguard. Looking at the breakdown, it's gotta be close to 40-50M just by 10 seconds of skimming through. 

I wonder if it's due to different distributors.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, seduh said:

Amazing drop for IT. I think actuals will be a little higher, like $61. Next weekend will be intersting, I think it will make +$35 and end with abut $330. AC, is holding really well, I can´t believe this year there will be 4 $100 horror movies. 

I think IT could go even higher, I dont see how IT going to have harsher drop compared to last sunday's, when Irma hit the Florida. Around 35% Sunday drop i guess, which could boost 2nd weekend gross to $62m+

4 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Illumination consistently makes mediocre drivel that panders to what kids want to see rather than finding a middle ground between entertaining kids and adults.  I'm not going to cheer on or care about their films box-office wise if I don't like their films.

No one told you to talk about them or like them.

But it would be nice If you did respect the people that have a different opinion than you do and are free to express it.

10 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I was referring to a few select people who constantly cheer it on and act like it passing $1B is something that everyone MUST talk about.  The reason people were talking so much about Moana is cause many people loved the movie.  Very few people here even liked DM3 (most people gave it C's in the RTM thread).

That's the answer right there, it largely felt like an uneventful 1B film because most people don't care, so the few that cares about its box office achievement (Which did do very impressive Overseas) feel obligated to cheer extra loud or continuously reiterate its success. Most people would do that for a movie they love but they felt is underappreciated. 

• Like 3

Honestly, theater owners are probably begging for the swath of October releases to come already. I'm predicting everything outside of the top 3 next weekend to have a sub-2k PTA, and about half of the top 10 will probably be sub-1k PTAs (perhaps including Friend Request!).