WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 77): It 60.1M | American Assassin 14.8M | JLaw's Original Sin 7.5M

Just now, Zakiyyah6 said:

I think it's the story of the year. A straight horror film doing blockbuster numbers is a miracle.

Just now, DAR said:

For me It and Get Out are the BO stories of the year

Yeah I didn't want to declare it story of the year just yet. I was giving it time to breathe :P

but yes I have to agree that IT and Get Out are the biggest stories :) 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, grey ghost said:

For those curious about the themes in Mother, I suggest you watch Jeremy Jahn's spoiler talk about the film.

He dives into it and I found it interesting.

Glad I didn't go see the actual movie though. Sounds challenging, to say the least, lol.

Yeah I've heard the last act is legit insane. I must admit I'm actually curious and I can see it in the cinemas for free too, so maybe I'll try it out if I'm really interested. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 75livesinDerry said:

Yeah I didn't want to declare it story of the year just yet. I was giving it time to breathe :P

I was waiting for IT's second weekend numbers. As we saw last year with Warner Brothers, big opening weekends are not enough for films to be the story of the year. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 75livesinDerry said:

Oops forgot about Wonder Woman.

And the only thing would be if TLJ makes a billion(not happening)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DAR said:

Oops forgot about Wonder Woman.

And the only thing would be if TLJ makes a billion(not happening)

Yeah I would include WW probably at #3, not an insult at all, just saying if I had to list them.

agreed if TLJ gets a billion DOM then that changes the narrative :P 

Wonder Woman is definitely on the list because of the legs for that genre.  And even though I predicted it Beauty and the Beast making 500 million dollars domestically is amazing just like any movie making 500 million is amazing. I don't think much of the movie but you can't deny that 500 million dollars is the highest grossing movie domestically so far. I'm not saying I put it on the list necessarily because it was honestly expected but it's still a terrific performance.

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Guys, big corporations and destroying the environment are bad.  also go eat our sponsored Lorax food only at ihop,

Or buy the new Mazda. Lorax approved.

Just now, Zakiyyah6 said:

Wonder Woman is definitely on the list because of the legs for that genre.  And even though I predicted it Beauty and the Beast making 500 million dollars domestically is amazing just like any movie making 500 million is amazing. I don't think much of the movie but you can't deny that 500 million dollars is the highest grossing movie domestically so far.

not sure why, but for some reason I always forget about BatB even coming out :lol:   but agreed making $500 mill is a big deal

• Like 1

While broadly speaking, "political correctness" is used to describe accommodations to minorities or disadvantaged groups, it is almost always used with the implication that it's a bad thing, and/or the degree of accommodation is excessive.

Describing Moana as "PC" because it has non-white characters, or Zootopia because of its anti-prejudice message, is not a good look.

If you think either film did a poor job for reasons relating to the aforementioned, you'd be better off finding more precise language to describe those reasons, that doesn't imply you think minority characters or an anti-prejudice message is a bad thing.

Unless, of course, you really do object to accommodation towards minorities as a matter of principle, in which case IMHO it'd be better to keep quiet.

• Like 4

A few people mentioned UK theater chains with subscriptions for unlimited viewing.  Any thoughts on how much this blunts a big opening like IT?  These theaters probably clean up on concessions sales with packed theater, but in terms of box office numbers it may not fully show attendance levels...I'm just curious about size of effect.