Alli

Weekend thread | IT Floats again in its 4th weekend: 17.3M...Cruise and Kingsman fight it out for 2nd: 17.016 and 17.0

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I'll be pissed if they steal the 2017 studio crown from Disney.

I'm still mad about Universal's upset from 2015. :gold:

WB's only other releases for the remainder of 2017 are Blade Runner, Justice League and the long-delayed flops-in-waiting Geostorm and Father Figures, so they'll have their work cut out for them.

Speaking of which, I got the trailer for Father Figures before American Made yesterday, but it was the old trailer from back when it was originally called Bastards. Happy to see the studio cares so much about that one!

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

Those of you saying that American Made had a great opening, I don't see it.  This is Cruise's lowest opening since Jack Reacher.  I suppose this could have good legs but it will need a good take overseas to be somewhat profitable, at least theatrically.

How amazing is WB this year.  They have the monster summer, they have Justice League coming up in the winter and now they have BR coming out a good 5 weeks after IT just killed the box office.  What a dynamic year they are having.

Great would be a huge exaggeration.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I'll be pissed if they steal the 2017 studio crown from Disney.

I'm still mad about Universal's upset from 2015. :gold:

I honestly wish WB would win this year. Disney is such a stuck-up snob of a studio, would be nice to see them beaten once in a while.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Disbelief 1

3 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I honestly wish WB would win this year. Disney is such a stuck-up snob of a studio, would be nice to see them beaten once in a while.

Same. Also it'd be fun to see Kevin's reaction.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, 75Live said:

agreed about WB, as well.  They must be loving 2017 :) 

Next year looks shaky in comparison.

400M+ movies

WONDR

300M+ movies

JL

IT

150M+ movies

LEGO BAT

SKULL ISLAND

DUNKIRK

100M+ movies

BR49

ANNABELLE

2018 (going a bit optimistic)

300M+ movies

AQM

200M+ movies

FB2

150M+ movies

RPO

100M+ movies

TOMB RAIDER

O8

MEG

NUN (I don't think it will match Annabelle2 or Conjuring2, but am including it here)

Edited by a2knet

Sometimes people let agendas color how good an opening weekend really is. American Assassin opened far below other adult skewing movies of it's type and you had some acting like it had a great opening. American Made's opening is fine for what it is but is it OMG amazing? No. People like to exaggerate how well non MI Cruise movies open all the time. I saw defenses of The Mummy's terrible domestic performance.

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Sometimes people let agendas color how good an opening weekend really is. American Assassin opened far below other adult skewing movies of it's type and you had some acting like it had a great opening. American Made's opening is fine for what it is but is it OMG amazing? No. People like to exaggerate how well non MI Cruise movies open all the time. I saw defenses of The Mummy's terrible domestic performance.

I don't think anyone's calling American Made's opening "OMG amazing." It's a very fine opening for a star vehicle when those really don't sell anymore.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, a2knet said:

It's not a very good ow and should have done 20m+, but will be profitable going by the 50m prod budget.

~3x will give it 50-55m dom and is on 65m OS currently. OS could finish at 100m eventually if not more.

Mid-level hit, nothing much.

It should do decently well overseas considering that Cruise is very much a "draw" in a lot of countries. 

Edited by Fancyarcher

1 minute ago, La Binoche said:

Pretty sad that you're sustained by how I feel about IT. 

I have no issue with you not liking the film, you not liking the film is fine. Your butt hurt over it's massive box office numbers is amusing though.

2 hours ago, filmnerdjamie said:

Oh, it'll win the weekend. High 30s/low 40s. I expect this to perform exactly like the original. It does great... on its first day (Thursday night previews and Friday), then stalls after WOM settles in. Pacific Rim would be the film to look at for the most recent example. Tracking shouldn't be taken as the Gospel and pre-sales reports are always overblown.

You don't go to the Tracking thread much I'm guessing?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Next year looks shaky in comparison.

400M+ movies

WONDR

300M+ movies

JL

IT

150M+ movies

LEGO BAT

SKULL ISLAND

DUNKIRK

100M+ movies

BR49

ANNABELLE

2018 (going a bit optimistic)

300M+ movies

AQM

200M+ movies

FB2

150M+ movies

RPO

100M+ movies

TOMB RAIDER

O8

MEG

NUN (I don't think it will match Annabelle2 or Conjuring2, but am including it here)

JL can do $400M

RPO can surprise and do somewhere from $200M-$300M.

I think one of WAG's films might make $100M domestic and I'm thinking it may be TTG. Smallfoot will do anywhere from Ninjago to Storks numbers.

Edited by YourMother

2 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

People keep trying to trash IT and the classic horror keeps floating along..   

People were so traumatized by WB's comic book movie output last year that they just can't get over the success that the studio is having this year. Personally I want all the studios to do well and yes that includes Sony. I wanted WB to get their act together and I want Sony to get their act together. The fact of the matter is this is not like 2016 for Warner Brothers and there are some people who need to realize that.

• Like 6

Earlier today I ran an interesting showdown to compare how similar the Despicable Me franchise is to the Fast and Furious franchise, two franchises with consecutive 1-billion grossing films in 2015 and 2017.

And the results are in, with the Despicable Me franchise boasting a better retention rate from Minions to DM3 than FF8 to FF7:

DM vs FF Showdown:

FAST AND FURIOUS FRANCHISE

FF8: 1,238,000,000 WW with 225m DOM and 1,010,000,000 OS. (OS-China: 622.6m)

FF7: 1,516,000,000 WW with 353m DOM and 1,163,000,000 OS (OS-China: 773m)

FF8 retention rate to FF7:

DOM retention rate: 63.7%

OS retention rate: 86.8%

OS-China retention rate: 80.54% *exactly identical to DM3!**

WW retention rate: 81.6%

DESPICABLE ME FRANCHISE

DM3: 1,022,000,000 WW with 262m DOM and 760m OS (OS-China: 607.7m)

Minions: 1,159,000,000 WW with 336m DOM and 823m OS (OS-China: 754.5m)

DM3 retention rate to Minions:

DOM retention rate: 78%

OS retention rate: 92.3%

OS-China retention rate: 80.54% *exactly identical to FF8!*

WW retention rate: 88.1%

Winner of this showdown: Despicable Me Franchise.

No matter who ends up winning the crown, the actual winners of 2017 are WB and Universal, If you ask me.

Not that Disney lost anything but the year was nowhere near as good as 2016 and 2018 will be better too.

WB and Universal on the other hand did way better than expected.

Universal should win the OS crown as well easily.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

No matter who ends up winning the crown, the actual winners of 2017 are WB and Universal, If you ask me.

Not that Disney lost anything but the year was nowhere near as good as 2016 and 2018 will be better too.

WB and Universal on the other hand did way better than expected.

Universal should win the OS crown as well easily.

I agree with all of this. I must say I did under predict Guardians 2 so I see it's gross as better than others who had it at like 450mil. 

• Like 2