Jump to content

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Water Bottle

Classic Conversation, now with added Teen Angst

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, aabattery said:

 

Awful, awful stuff. Can't think of anything like this ever happening here as long as I've been alive. Tragedy-wise the earthquakes come close, but an earthquake isn't evil like a shooter is.

The only comparable event I can think of is the Aramoana massacre. 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

3 hours ago, grim22 said:

Because Twitter is a horrible horrible website and is probably partially responsible for the state of the world right now. It unwittingly became a good gathering spot for neo-Nazis and then decided they like having that user base around.

Twitter has seriously damaged public discourse as a society.

 

Corporate media, celebrities and politicians pick up on a small % of the population arguing on Twitter and then spreads the outrage to fan the fans of division in the pursuit of profit, fame and power.

  • Not Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

3 hours ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

Apparently it was a coordinated attack. Two mosques attacked at the same time.

I do not understand such kind of people, nor people who support or applaud them.

I do not understand why Twitter needed so long to take it down, made worse see the local authorities seemingly trying for that for quite some time.

Sometimes I wished people would look like on the outside like they look in the inside. Those would look like rabies-ridden beasts at best, having lost all what makes a human human in my POV

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

I do not understand why Twitter needed so long to take it down, made worse see the local authorities seemingly trying for that for quite some time

I know that DeeCee has a dedicated thread on this now, but this is slightly off that topic and about tech in general.

 

Twitter has an active user base of over 120 million people a day.   Even if they were very good at moderation, and few if anyone thinks they are, it'd be really difficult for them to be able to remove the copies of this video from their system, even if they wanted to.

 

Instead of "Too Big to Fail" when it comes to banks, it's "Too Big to Moderate".  If they even feel like moderating this, which I haven't seen much evidence of.

 

The "too big to moderate" phenomenon is one of the biggest arguments against Facebook, Twitter and other similar platforms.  And it's only going to get worse as time goes on.

 

Now Twitter, Facebook and the rest could get serious about platform moderation if they really cared.  They'd have to sink a shitload of money into it (not to mention getting serious about psychiatric help for their staff who have to deal with human filth 24/7).  But they could do it if they wanted to.

 

But at the moment none of them really seem to do more than give token platitudes.  If that.

Edited by Porthos
Edited out US monthly number and edited in worldwide daily number, with link
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Porthos said:

about tech in general.

I am aware

 

But: its a huge difference if a user reports a misuse or if a governmental department tries to get them to get it down IMHO

Known links...

1 key mod enough for such a situation.

And if a multi-xxxxx $ company isn't able (or willing) to do that in such a situation (we do not have That many countries on earth) then Twitter & Co should get rules for that in a way they have to react very fast in the future. Now, can this be a tool for politic= It has to be clear its about crimes,... human decency, not to get misused (again) by politicians for pushing agendas or suppressing opposition, suppressing information about e.g. violently suppressing opposition.

Might be a problem to get pushed through as one key leader might be afraid to loose a potential toy, but that is another theme.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sick to my stomach.

For as long as I've known, the mosque was a place for worship, peace and safety. Everything from this manifesto, to the video that keeps showing up on twitter to the number of casualties is just disgusting.

  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Waking up, I did not expect that...this would happen while I was asleep. Truly horrific. Guess I'm going back to bed.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Porthos said:

I know that DeeCee has a dedicated thread on this now, but this is slightly off that topic and about tech in general.

 

Twitter has an active user base of over 120 million people a day.   Even if they were very good at moderation, and few if anyone thinks they are, it'd be really difficult for them to be able to remove the copies of this video from their system, even if they wanted to.

 

Instead of "Too Big to Fail" when it comes to banks, it's "Too Big to Moderate".  If they even feel like moderating this, which I haven't seen much evidence of.

 

The "too big to moderate" phenomenon is one of the biggest arguments against Facebook, Twitter and other similar platforms.  And it's only going to get worse as time goes on.

 

Now Twitter, Facebook and the rest could get serious about platform moderation if they really cared.  They'd have to sink a shitload of money into it (not to mention getting serious about psychiatric help for their staff who have to deal with human filth 24/7).  But they could do it if they wanted to.

 

But at the moment none of them really seem to do more than give token platitudes.  If that.

 

Not to mention, since Neo-Nazi hate speech is illegal in Germany, Twitter magically has no problem keeping that shit clear over there. There’s clearly methodology and algorithms to minimize or eliminate it, they just choose not to apply those worldwide. 

  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

 

Not to mention, since Neo-Nazi hate speech is illegal in Germany, Twitter magically has no problem keeping that shit clear over there. There’s clearly methodology and algorithms to minimize or eliminate it, they just choose not to apply those worldwide. 

 

 

That is because the government makes them do so. 

 

I think the issue is not some guy spamming nazi symbols...

 

The issue is people thinly veiling saying things with undertones and dog whistling and there is no algorithm for that. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

That is because the government makes them do so. 

 

My point was there's clearly a technical solution that they're able to implement, and yet they choose not to do so. And they choose not to do so because they'd rather monetize the hate and pretend they're not complicit in it.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

 

My point was there's clearly a technical solution that they're able to implement, and yet they choose not to do so. And they choose not to do so because they'd rather monetize the hate and pretend they're not complicit in it.

 

Personally Twitter and FB is quite more cleaned up then compared to 2016.. We are just hyper vigilante now about the stuff that is on there as we realize it has an impact. More needs to be done of course. 

 

Well after that display with Zuckerberg and US Congress, I have zero faith in the US govt doing anything. 😑

Edited by Lordmandeep

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A few months ago my friends said people should “subscribe to PewDiePie” and I basically responded that nobody should be giving that cynical Swedish cumstain any attention.

 

A few months later and this happens.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Alpha said:

A few months ago my friends said people should “subscribe to PewDiePie” and I basically responded that nobody should be giving that cynical Swedish cumstain any attention.

 

A few months later and this happens.

 

 

He also praised fortnite too 

 

Dont get your point here...

 

His manifesto was shitposting...whole point is to create further division. Name dropping Pewdiepie is a perfect way to do so. 

 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1
  • Not Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Alpha said:

A few months ago my friends said people should “subscribe to PewDiePie” and I basically responded that nobody should be giving that cynical Swedish cumstain any attention.

 

A few months later and this happens.

You know I’m going to sound dumb but who is PewDiePie? I know he’s a gamer but I don’t know who or what he is.

  • Astonished 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

You know I’m going to sound dumb but who is PewDiePie? I know he’s a gamer but I don’t know who or what he is.

 

 

A Swedish Youtuber with around 90 million subscribers.

 

Known for being an edge-lord and saying some racial slurs in the past. Got his start from playing video games and reacting in a funny way.

 

Mostly focuses on meme culture these days and has a clear conservative bent. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This attack is heartbreaking and the terrorists (we shouldn’t call them white nationalists as that softens it and hides what they really are) behind it are inhuman monsters and deserve to be punished to the fullest extent. For God’s sake, a mosque is supposed to be a safe place.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder how many more people have to be murdered before social media sites like Twitter and facebook remove white supremacists from their site. Like how in the hell does Fraser Anning still have a platform on Twitter. And I don't wanna hear about freedom of speech. there's a difference between freedom of speech and spewing out hate towards a group of people. This was Anning's reaction to the shooting: 

 

People like him should not be allowed to have a platform. Period. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.