Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

3 hours ago, Brainbug said:

Fun Facts from Germany to lighten the mood a bit (albeit in a more black humour way):

Since 2006 (!), Berlin is building a new airport (BER) to replace the old Berlin airport, Tegel. Originally, that new airport should have been opened in 2011. But numerous technical issues prevented the opening, including a non-functional fire warning system and imploding (!) air handlers. Then it should have opened in 2012, but until that point, the fire warning system still didnt work at all and furthermore, the ceiling of the airport appeared to be instable and the whole construction plan had to be reworked. Since atleast then, the project has become a meme and a running joke in Germany. Some people supported the idea to just build a new Berlin around the airport; it may be less costly.

In 2019, reports came to light that the airport may finally open in Spring of 2020. That got delayed again to the autumn of 2020 where the airpoirt is now officially schedulded to open.

But it may face the difficulty now that ... well ... there are not many planes flying around right now and the situation may be not much better in autumn. So ...

Fail.

Ooof, I've been following the development for a few years, it really is a disaster, lol.

Well, the reconstructed palace of Berlin looks spectacular, at least from the outside. A true masterpiece of Baroque architecture and 21st century craftsmanship.

8 minutes ago, Titan Man said:

Ooof, I've been following the development for a few years, it really is a disaster, lol.

Well, the reconstructed palace of Berlin looks spectacular, at least from the outside. A true masterpiece of Baroque architecture and 21st century craftsmanship.

Its definetly true that the look of the airport was never its problem :lol: but more so what was behind the curtain.

Just now, Brainbug said:

Its definetly true that the look of the airport was never its problem :lol: but more so what was behind the curtain.

Lol, I'll never forget the image of an escalator, and just a metre away, two regular steps. Like, who designed that... 😂😂

18 minutes ago, The Stingray said:

Damn y'all are really cracking down on free speech. Not surprised Trump is running America, or that a right-wing populist party is becoming the biggest party here in Sweden.

Very cute of you to believe Trump isn't blocking members of the free press.

Regardless, free speech on websites like these can only get you so far. We have rules, and if we believe people are promoting or stating something toxic and/or trollish, we're not going to let them wreak havoc.

If you don't like this answer, then quite honestly, go somewhere else. We're not the only place on the Internet where you can talk about movies, and there are plenty of forums with more lax rules and regulations.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Porthos said:

*sees I missed the drama earlier today*

Just gonna say this for anyone who might need to know it in the future.

DON'T 👏 USE 👏 ALTS 👏 TO 👏 AVOID 👏 TEMPBANS!!! 👏 👏 👏

Seriously, the risk is never worth the reward.

JUST DON'T DO IT FOLKS!!!

People think the mods do not check up on new members joining a few minutes after someone has been banned ?

You need to wait a few days to try to  use a sockpuppet to try to sneak back in. And even them, you chances of being caugth are very high.

19 minutes ago, Porthos said:

giphy.gif

Looking around for that Puig signing I was promised...

According to Baseball-Reference, y'all already got him and he's put up 10 homers in 63 games. ;)

I'm still shocked at how well my Mariners have been faring in their OOTP 21 simulation. The M's are at a .590 winning percentage, somehow; I guess it thinks our youngsters are really as good as hoped! But I'm guessing the program knows well enough to account for their traditional second half collapse.

That said, looking at how the Dodgers are faring there - .786 at the moment - reminds me that as horrible as it is that we've been without baseball this year (to say nothing of, y'know, everything else happening around it), there is still a little part of me that's taking solace in knowing that the real Dodgers didn't get to make a run at the 2001 Mariners' single season win record. We may not have a title (or even a pennant), but at least we still have that record!

(In all seriousness, though: the Dodgers will be damn fun to watch when this season finally gets started.)

Edited by Webslinger
  • Like 1

The way politics is influencing movies, dictating what type of movies are to be made, telling artists how to create their art and so forth, one can assume this next decade or so will be remembered as a dark ages of filmmaking.

No more classics or exciting, young filmmakers for a while.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, The Stingray said:

The way politics is influencing movies, dictating what type of movies are to be made, telling artists how to create their art and so forth, one can assume this next decade or so will be remembered as a dark ages of filmmaking.

The same can be applied to so many other decades though. Like the 40s, 50s and 60s to an extent. The history of moviemaking is also a history of certain groups of people (especially women and minorities) gaining more and more freedom to work on movies over the last 120 years. And we got hundreds of great movies from these 3 decades alone.

I think i get what you mean - there are certainly lots of people with political viewpoints (some might call them agendas) that are influencing many works of art nowadays. But that was always the case and it will never go away. With our social media culture, these kinds of influences are just more obvious and well-known publically than before.

20 minutes ago, The Stingray said:

Why do you keep spewing this kind of crap on this thread lol? No one's dictating what type of movies are to be made.

• ...wtf 1

24 minutes ago, The Stingray said:

Yeah I've never heard that before.

24 minutes ago, The Stingray said:

The way politics is influencing movies

*points in the direction of The Seventies*

Yeah, politics have never influenced movies.

*remembers Tipper Gore*

Nope, never ever.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

Yeah, politics have never influenced movies.

*remembers Tipper Gore*

Nope, never ever.  

I mean, think of all the anti-German and anti-Japanese movies made between 1939 and 1945 alone :D:D

The Great Dictator (imo one of the best movies of all time) literally ends with a 10- minute or so speech for democrazy. But nope, that was definetly a politics-free movie^^

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Why do you keep spewing this kind of crap on this thread lol? No one's dictating what type of movies are to be made.

He's presumably referring to "cancel culture".  Otherwise known as market forces in action.

The point I alluded to in my last post is that, notable exceptions notwithstanding, there have been a whole lot of voices "cancelled" in the US entertainment industry over the last 100 years.  Either via barriers to entry, "good ol' boys" networks, or actual active suppression (overt or otherwise).

Sure there are folks like Spike Lee and Ava DuVernay.  Those were the exception not the rule.

I personally tend to think that "cancel culture" is waaaaaaaaaaay overblown as a concern when it comes to popular entertainment, never mind more indie/avant garde stuff.

• Like 1

Also seems silly to say we don't have any young, exciting filmmakers anymore when we've had a number of them within the past decade, including the youngest Best Director winner ever (Damien Chazelle, 32 at the time) not even 3.5 years ago.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 2