Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

Man, so many dumbass gamers who say "I get the point of this game" when they clearly don't. 

Not unusual.

A lot of the satire in "Bioshock" went right over people's heads.

Although some of Andrew Ryan's more insane rants were only a little different then crap that Ayn Rand actually said.

Man this fucking year ...

The Last of Us was and is one of my favourite games of all time, ive played it atleast 5 times through and was so excited for the sequel.

I dont want to rant but it was such a disappointment for me. They ruined the characters and the storyline. That game was one of the few things that made me excited for this year and imo they fucked up.

1 hour ago, Brainbug said:

Man this fucking year ...

The Last of Us was and is one of my favourite games of all time, ive played it atleast 5 times through and was so excited for the sequel.

I dont want to rant but it was such a disappointment for me. They ruined the characters and the storyline. That game was one of the few things that made me excited for this year and imo they fucked up.

I heard its the Last Jedi of Video games? 

3 hours ago, Lordmandeep said:

It's complicated by the fact that story leaks have been floating around for a while, and as a consequence, there are a lot of people that have been primed to hate it without even playing it. Obviously gameplay matters for a video game, however, there are story choices that seemed destined to be controversial.

I'd say that, like TLJ, there are positives and negatives to discuss, but good luck finding any discourse that doesn't hyperbolically fly off the rails in one direction or the other.

As someone without a dog in the fight, some of the rants can be fun, but, as always, have some perspective.

Spoiler

Though this is coming from a guy that didn't think that GOT S8 was that bad. :ph34r:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dudalb said:

Not unusual.

A lot of the satire in "Bioshock" went right over people's heads.

Although some of Andrew Ryan's more insane rants were only a little different then crap that Ayn Rand actually said.

Kinda the same thing here. A lot of the themes of the game have been reduced to "violence is bad" or "revenge is bad" by them. They pretty much lack any sort of nuanced thinking. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lordmandeep said:

In my opinion, no though looking at the Internet discussions around it, its a similar situation. There are so many baffling decisions in the game that left me quesioning if the creators actually hate the characters and want the fans to suffer just for the sake of suffering. And my personal biggest problem is the fact that the game is only 40% gameplay and 60% cutscenes. Its like a forced movie at points and i dislike that.

And the ending (im not there yet, maybe ill never will, but ive seen it in Lets Plays) is simply infuriating and illogical from a character and writing perspective. Again, thats all my personal opinion and

2 hours ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Last of Us 2 is tremendous so far. I’m loving it.

im really glad you are enyoying it!

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

. And my personal biggest problem is the fact that the game is only 40% gameplay and 60% cutscenes. 

This game has much more gameplay than the first game and is less linear too. The first semi-open world section took me close to 2 hours to fully explore. Not sure how you are criticising this game for having a small percentage of gameplay when there's so much than the first game. 

14 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

This game has much more gameplay than the first game and is less linear too. The first semi-open world section took me close to 2 hours to fully explore. Not sure how you are criticising this game for having a small percentage of gameplay when there's so much than the first game. 

Speaking of the semi-open world section, i didnt really explore it, i wanted the plot to progress so i guess youre right in that the game gives you the possibility to play more.

Its also very possible that i project a bit of my disappointment in the game on those cutscenes. I loved them in the first game but i loved the first game in general and hated the story decisions in this one, so that might cloud my judgement to a certain degree. Im not afraid to admit that.

2 hours ago, The Stingray said:

I lost interest in Last of Us 2 when I found out 

Hide contents

that you play a huge chunk of the game as a transgender person. I'm sorry, but that's just not my cup of tea.

First of all, you're completely wrong. That character isn't transgender. Second of all, what difference does it make? You really took the incel bait didn't you?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, The Stingray said:

I lost interest in Last of Us 2 when I found out 

Reveal hidden contents

Thats not a good reasoning imo. Who cares about that? My problem with that is

Spoiler

the fact that you have to play as the character who killed my favourite character from the first game in such a gruesome and humiliating manner. I hated that so much and i cant bring myself to play that character at all.

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Thats not a good reasoning imo. Who cares about that? My problem with that is

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

I don't mind that, as long as it is done for the right reasons and executed well. What I don't care for is Neil Druckmann's woke politics. As I said, it ain't for me.

Also, hero worshipping mental illness is enabling sickness, like putting morbidly obese women on health magazine covers.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

The game ends perfectly. What a beautiful way to end a mostly dark, brutal, and exhausting journey. 

Im happy that you find so much enjoyment in the game. Wish i could say that as well :( I do think it will be one of the most polarizing games of the year.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Brainbug said:

In my opinion, no though looking at the Internet discussions around it, its a similar situation. There are so many baffling decisions in the game that left me quesioning if the creators actually hate the characters and want the fans to suffer just for the sake of suffering. And my personal biggest problem is the fact that the game is only 40% gameplay and 60% cutscenes. Its like a forced movie at points and i dislike that.

And the ending (im not there yet, maybe ill never will, but ive seen it in Lets Plays) is simply infuriating and illogical from a character and writing perspective. Again, thats all my personal opinion and

im really glad you are enyoying it!

And I’m sorry you didn’t. :( 

I don't really have any spicy take as I'm about 12 hours into the game.

It's very well done for the most part so far and the combat has opened up for me significantly. I know things are gonna take a turn but I'm not there yet. I do think the story has overall less urgency than the first so far, as in there's been less progression but on the flip side, atmosphere has been ratcheted up to 11...not necessarily just story but in combat scenarios. Day 2 was genuinely tense in a way that I didn't feel in the first part until probably the Winter section with David.

At least in Brainbug's case, they're being perfectly reasonable in their dislike.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, MrPink said:

It's very well done for the most part so far and the combat has opened up for me significantly. I know things are gonna take a turn but I'm not there yet. I do think the story has overall less urgency than the first so far, as in there's been less progression but on the flip side, atmosphere has been ratcheted up to 11...not necessarily just story but in combat scenarios. Day 2 was genuinely tense in a way that I didn't feel in the first part until probably the Winter section with David.

And Day 2 is still nowhere near as tense as what comes later lol. I agree that there's much less urgency but I really enjoyed taking the time to just loot everything, listen to conversations between characters, and look at the scenery. Did much more of that here than the last game (or well, pretty much any other game I've played).